relethg

Getting Medical Prior to Packet 3 Request

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi All,

Newbie here. Applying for K1 Fiancé Visa in Thailand. We have NOA 1 and CSS is doing the work. Think there is a possibility the process could go faster than we expected and want to lean forward so we can get through the interview process as quickly as possible. Also with the vaccine rules they now have for the K1 and my Fiancé not having any records we wanted to start her getting them now so she would not have them all at once at the medical. She called Dr. friend in her village and she had no luck getting any records. Then she called one of the Board Dr's in Bangkok to see what her options are. The office stated she could not do medical before embassy sent packet 3 and she should wait for the vaccines. Here are some questions I have for the people that have been through this in Thailand in the last 12 months.

1. Why can't she do the medical early? I know it is only good for 6 month but I don't see doing it in Sep as much risk with the current processing times at CSS. I also have read on this site of people doing medical prior to packet 3 request in Thailand.

2. Why not lean forward and get the list of vaccines started? I know if she has medical issues they may say she can't have some but she has no medical issues. Also would be less expensive at government facility than the board Dr. and she would not be getting them all at once.

3. What was your experience with the medical process in regard to vaccines? Again I would like responses from the last 12 months as the vaccine rules changed.

Thank you for your help and comments, Glenn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi All,

Newbie here. Applying for K1 Fiancé Visa in Thailand. We have NOA 1 and CSS is doing the work. Think there is a possibility the process could go faster than we expected and want to lean forward so we can get through the interview process as quickly as possible. Also with the vaccine rules they now have for the K1 and my Fiancé not having any records we wanted to start her getting them now so she would not have them all at once at the medical. She called Dr. friend in her village and she had no luck getting any records. Then she called one of the Board Dr's in Bangkok to see what her options are. The office stated she could not do medical before embassy sent packet 3 and she should wait for the vaccines. Here are some questions I have for the people that have been through this in Thailand in the last 12 months.

1. Why can't she do the medical early? I know it is only good for 6 month but I don't see doing it in Sep as much risk with the current processing times at CSS. I also have read on this site of people doing medical prior to packet 3 request in Thailand.

2. Why not lean forward and get the list of vaccines started? I know if she has medical issues they may say she can't have some but she has no medical issues. Also would be less expensive at government facility than the board Dr. and she would not be getting them all at once.

3. What was your experience with the medical process in regard to vaccines? Again I would like responses from the last 12 months as the vaccine rules changed.

Thank you for your help and comments, Glenn

1. Why risk it? You never know what might happen and you'll be getting the medical done again if it expires.

3. What rules have changed?

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

1. Cost is worth the risk to me. Don't see it as much risk getting it early. I see more risk in waiting and finding out something that requires a waiver right before your interview. The time that could be saved is worth the risk of the second medical (less than $100).

2. I was under the impression from what I have read that the amount of vaccines and the enforcement of getting them prior to K1 approval has changed. I know the IR-1/CR-1 requirement where different at one time, but now are pretty much the same.

What was your experience in 2009 with vaccines for your IR-1/CR-1?

Thanks

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

1. Why risk it? You never know what might happen and you'll be getting the medical done again if it expires.

3. What rules have changed?

Because the O P wants info from only a select few I will not add anything except to say there is a lot to be understood about the process. Sometimes when people lean too far forward they fall rather than have any sense of balance which will be gained by experience.

Good luck grasshopper.

Timeline

1. Cost is worth the risk to me. Don't see it as much risk getting it early. I see more risk in waiting and finding out something that requires a waiver right before your interview. The time that could be saved is worth the risk of the second medical (less than $100).

2. I was under the impression from what I have read that the amount of vaccines and the enforcement of getting them prior to K1 approval has changed. I know the IR-1/CR-1 requirement where different at one time, but now are pretty much the same.

What was your experience in 2009 with vaccines for your IR-1/CR-1?

Thanks

My wife got the packet 4 with the interview date (Nowadays you just download it I think), and then went and got the medical done. She didn't have any vaccination records, so they gave her the first shot of the series (which ended up being 2 shots) and then she went back the next day and picked up the medical report. That was it as far as the shots were concerned.

Timeline

Not sure what kind of wavier she would need for the medical, I am not even sure there is a wavier for medical. I think if it is a disease that is not treatable she is just non-admissible. If she has one of the diseases that would prevent her from getting a visa, I think you have bigger problems.

As Karee said why risk having the medical start to early, do it when you get the BNK number, you never know if you get put in AP, or have some other event that happens. They can test her blood for antibodies and they will know what shots she needs and doesn't need, if it is a series she just needs to start them. They don't require that they are done. Most of the vaccines my wife didn't have to get because she had the antibodies already.

The only changes I am aware of is they no longer require HPV vaccination for woman. Other than that I don't think there were any changes since we went through in 2009.

If money is no object and you just want to make sure she has the records, just goto the hospital and pay for the vaccinations now, and have them do a shot record and then bring it when they do the official medical. Your not saving any time, the medical takes 1/2 a day, and when you get NOA2 you are going to have at least a 4 week wait for the interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

glenn....on my way to work so short note.....you are early in the process(,NOA-1) many things to be done to prepare for BKK end of process. Check our timeline, is considered one of the fastest ones, we did not do medical until early Dec.,did police clearance at same time.Has your fiancée been married before? Have children? so much goes into this process, medical is just one of many steps.

9/16/2013-I-129-F Petition Rec`d-(Dallas lockbox, transfered to CSC)
9/19/2013-Notice Date- NOA-1
10/1/2013-Notice Date- NOA-2-I-129-F Petition Approved!
11/1/2013-NVC Rec`d I-129-F Petition
11/14/2013- U.S.Consulate- BKK Rec`d I-129-F
11/23/2013-Rec`d Packet 3
12/1/2013-Medical Exam
12/9/2013-Packet 3 sent to U.S. Consulate-BKK
12/16/2013-Rec`d Packet 4
1/22/2014-Interview/Approved!
1/25/2014-Rec`d Visa/Passport (Korat)

4/30/2014-POE-Chicago-O`Hare
5/1/2014-Successful S.S.# Application(Chicago office)Marriage License(Cook County)
5/2/2014-Married!
5/16/2014-AOS,I-765,I-131 package received by U.S.C.I.S.
5/19/2014-Notice Date- NOA-1`s
5/23/2014-Rec`d Biometrics Appointment Notice
5/30/2014-Early Biometrics(Chicago location)
7/26/2014-I-765 and I-131 Approved (card production)
8/01/2014-Rec`d Combo Card
9/10/2014-Rec`d Potential Interview Waiver Letter
3/20/2015-Filed form with CIS Ombudsman requesting assistance with AOS.
3/21/2015-Rec`d case# from Ombudsman.
4/03/2015-Sent I-765/I-131 renewal documents to U.S.C.I.S.
4/9/2015- NOA Notice Dates-I-765/I-131 renewal.
4/10/2015-NOA Notice Date-Biometrics Appt.for I-765/I-131 renewal.
4/27/2015-Biometrics Appt.for I-765/I-131 renewal.

5/22/2015-Rec`d RFE for expired Medical Exam.

5/23/2015-Rec`d Renewal Combo Card.

6/8/2015-Updated I-693 Medical Exam sent to U.S.C.I.S. (New York office)

6/20/2015-Rec`d Welcome Letter.

6/24/2015-Rec`d Green Card via U.S.P.S.

Timeline

You can get the medical prior to receiving the official packet, you just have to push. We had the same issue with the ladies there in Bangkok in that they said they would not do it until we had packet 3. My wife showed up with the NOA2 and pushed and got it taken care of. It was a good thing she did as we never received an official packet 3.

-Jan 24th, 2014 sent in I-129F

-Jan 31ist, 2014 received NOA1 via text/email. Arrived at CSC

-Feb 4th, 2014 received Alien registration number.

-Feb 24th, 2014 received NOA2

-Mar 12, 2014 Arrived at Embassy

-Mar 20, 2014 Packet 3 sent to Embassy

-Mar 28, 2014 Received packet 3 instructions in mail

-Mar 25, 2014 Interview date set

-Apr 4, 2014 Interview.. approved :dancing:

-May 21, 2014 - PoE LV NV

-May 30, 2014 - Married

Timeline

You can get the medical prior to receiving the official packet, you just have to push. We had the same issue with the ladies there in Bangkok in that they said they would not do it until we had packet 3. My wife showed up with the NOA2 and pushed and got it taken care of. It was a good thing she did as we never received an official packet 3.

Same here...My wife did the same and had no issues. Just showed the NOA2

The only changes I am aware of is they no longer require HPV vaccination for woman. Other than that I don't think there were any changes since we went through in 2009.

If money is no object and you just want to make sure she has the records, just goto the hospital and pay for the vaccinations now, and have them do a shot record and then bring it when they do the official medical. Your not saving any time, the medical takes 1/2 a day, and when you get NOA2 you are going to have at least a 4 week wait for the interview.

As far as I know there has not been any changes since 2009 as well. The last paragraph is spot on. The medical only takes half a day so you are not saving time. I was with Pui when she did her's and it was mostly just a LOT of waiting. I know I would not want to put anybody through that process twice.

Why is there a big rush to get the medical done now when you just received your NOA1?

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Timeline

My wife got the packet 4 with the interview date (Nowadays you just download it I think), and then went and got the medical done. She didn't have any vaccination records, so they gave her the first shot of the series (which ended up being 2 shots) and then she went back the next day and picked up the medical report. That was it as far as the shots were concerned.

Hi Karee,

Out of all the required vaccines only two was required to get K1? If that is the case I am not too concerned. I just didnt want my baby getting stuck like a pincushion on the medical. When we could start that now and have them done or close to done.

Thanks for the info.

Timeline

glenn....on my way to work so short note.....you are early in the process(,NOA-1) many things to be done to prepare for BKK end of process. Check our timeline, is considered one of the fastest ones, we did not do medical until early Dec.,did police clearance at same time.Has your fiancée been married before? Have children? so much goes into this process, medical is just one of many steps.

Hi Steve,

Yes, she has one child and we have all his paper work in hand (fathers release, birth certificate, Passport and ID. Even did translations that are not necessary because Yadfon did not want to take any chances. He is one reason we want to lean forward on medical we would like to do his same time as moms and he has school break in Sep and didn't want to pull him out of school for trip to BKK.

We have all the documents for her marriage (marriage certificate, divorce certificates, and OK to marry . We are still waiting for the UK police report but is requested. We are mostly prepared with everything for packet 3 and 4. We will update the ongoing relationship right before the interview (living documents).

Thanks Glenn

Timeline

Hi Karee,

Out of all the required vaccines only two was required to get K1? If that is the case I am not too concerned. I just didnt want my baby getting stuck like a pincushion on the medical. When we could start that now and have them done or close to done.

Thanks for the info.

I believe that to be the case. However, I think she'll need to have them completed before you file for adjustment of status here in the U.S. Probably best to get them done in Thailand where it's cheaper.

Timeline

As far as I know there has not been any changes since 2009 as well. The last paragraph is spot on. The medical only takes half a day so you are not saving time. I was with Pui when she did her's and it was mostly just a LOT of waiting. I know I would not want to put anybody through that process twice.

Why is there a big rush to get the medical done now when you just received your NOA1?

Hi Andy,

Not in a big hurry just don't want to wait for packet 3 request. Would like to do in Sep, for several reasons, another one is her son is on school break in Sep and we wanted him to go same time. By Sep I should have a good idea of how we are doing with possible NOA 2 prior to that. Maybe the time line will all work out. My major concern was Yadfon needing a bunch of shots at one time. She doesn't line shots.

Timeline

Anyone else willing to talk about their recent experience with vaccines in Thailand. How many did your significant other need to get at their medical. Here is what is in the Instructions for Medical Examination Rev Mar-14.

United States immigration law requires fiancé(e) (K) and immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of a visa. Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations are now required to verify that visa applicants have met the new vaccination requirements, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations:
 Hepatitis A
 Hepatitis B
 Influenza
 Influenza type B (Hib)
 Measles
 Meningococcal
 Mumps
 Pneumococcal
 Pertussis
 Polio
 Rotavirus
 Rubella
 Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids
 Varicella
Thanks Glenn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.