abomoauth

scholarship funds towards jonit Affidavit of Support with wife (petioner)

15 posts in this topic

I am on f1, married LPR 2 yrs ago. filed i130 got approved. now trying to file for i485, but my wife ( petioner) don't work for tow years. and we both rely on a scholarship funds comes from my country that is not taxibe. also, i have never filed tax income returns in the states during all my stay in the US.

I am not sure how to file i864. jointly with my scholarship fund being not taxed.

why I can not be a joint with my wife and I been receiving funds for over 3 years, and I can show them I already got prove that its going to be there for for at least a year plus extension. also I have gained Master degree from a university in the state. can't that be enough?

You can if your total income meets provety guideline http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Having a master's degree is nothing to do with immigration. At the matter of fact, I have one too. Master's degree will help you a long way when you do a lot of reading and research yourself, I believe.

When we filed to AOS for me, we only use my husband's income. We showed USCIS the sponsor (my husband)' s pays stubs, employment letter, and last 3 years income tax transcript (the income is well over 125% of HHS Provety guideline.) I believe your scholarship probably covers only tuitions, books, and some living expenses. How can you use that to prove you can support to support yourself in a long run? I don't think your scholarship would offer life long support.

Edited by lil2be

scholarship pays for everything. including an annual payments greater than 125% the poverty line.

but the issue is, I never taxed my income as am receiving these payments from overseas.

for long run prove of income, I have a financial guarantee that ensure the payments will continue for at least a year.

So if I don't tax it, it won't considered as income ? .. I read else where you can always use annual allowance as income because they already tax it before they give it to me. im confused here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Even if you could prove these funds would continue for a period of time (more than one year) I doubt they would be accepted. Getting an additional sponsor would be the way to go.

A joint sponsor is your only choice. You will have hard time proving income with no tax record.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

I couldn't really find sponsor. my mother in law is a sit home old woman and her son just working at department store with a little salary. my wife is a cancer survivor and sit home too. I am the only one that receive monthly 2k of overseas scholarship funds.

Can the joint sponsor be a friend ? who is not in the household ? like a Professor.

Do I need the income tax return for the sponsor ?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I couldn't really find sponsor. my mother in law is a sit home old woman and her son just working at department store with a little salary. my wife is a cancer survivor and sit home too. I am the only one that receive monthly 2k of overseas scholarship funds.

Can the joint sponsor be a friend ? who is not in the household ? like a Professor.

Do I need the income tax return for the sponsor ?

A JS can be any USC or LPR over age 18 living in the US. Dies not need to be in the same household. Can be a friend or professor. You will need the JS's tax return.

Have you read the instructions for Form I-864?

I wonder the same. I even provided him a link on above post.

Your professor can sponsor you if he is eligible as stated in posts above and I-864 instruction. However, I doubt he will sponsor because he will be accountable on any actions you make in the future regarding immigration laws and etc. It is just like you co-sign your friend a credit card if he don't pay for it. You will have to pay for it. Unless your professor does really trust you and is very kind enough to do such thing.

Any other relatives or family members? I wish you good luck. Nothing is impossible; it might just take more time and effort!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.