Stef & Andrew

Co sponsors birth certificate

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I just saw in another thread, that someone was asked for the birth certificate of their co sponsor. Obviously this is not stated anywhere as a requirement, so I did not send this to my fiancé when I sent all the other paperwork for the interview.

Can anyone confirm, he will absolutely need this?

I had a copy of the co sponsor's birth certificate with me just in case, but no, they didn't ask for it.

AOS

23-10-2014 : Submitted to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

29-10-2014 : NOA-1

21-11-2014 : Biometrics

31-12-2014 : EAD approved and card in production (approved in 69 days)

09-01-2015 : EAD card received

22-07-2015 : AOS interview

K1 Visa

06-01-2014 : Submitted I-129F to Dallas Lockbox via USPS

10-01-2014 : Received delivery confirmation

13-01-2014 : NOA-1

15-01-2014 : Alien registration number changed

14-02-2014 : NOA-2 (approved in 32 days)

21-02-2014 : NOA-2 (hardcopy)

27-02-2014 : NVC Received

03-03-2014 : NVC Left

07-03-2014 : Embassy Received

21-03-2014 : Packet 3 Received

27-03-2014 : Packet 3 Sent

09-04-2014 : Medical

17-04-2014 : Packet 4 Received

23-05-2014 : Interview - Approved

28-05-2014 : Ceac Status - AP

29-05-2014 : Ceac Status - Issued

03-06-2014 : Visa in hand

16-09-2014 : POE

27-09-2014 : Wedding (L)

My transition from Britain to Americahttps://abitofenglishblog.wordpress.com/

That person in the other thread is the first to mention an I-134 (London) requiring proof of a sponsors citizenship in the years I have been following London. The Foreign Affairs Manual only mentions it when outlining the I -864. An excerpt here of the I-134 discussion in the FAM. Notice the part I put in bold.

d. The simple submission of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, however, is not sufficient to establish that the beneficiary is not likely to become a public charge. Although the minimum income requirements of Form I-864, do not apply in such cases (e.g., the 125 percent minimum income amount which is only required by the I-864), you must make a thorough evaluation of other factors, such as:

(1) The sponsor's motives in submitting the affidavit;

(2) The sponsor's relationship to the applicant (e.g., relative by blood or marriage, former employer or employee, schoolmates, or business associates);

(3) The length of time the sponsor and applicant have known each other;

(4) The sponsor's financial resources; and

(5) Other responsibilities of the sponsor.

NOTE: When there are compelling or forceful ties between the applicant and the sponsor, such as a close family relationship or friendship of long standing, you may favorably consider the affidavit. On the other hand, an affidavit submitted by a casual friend or distant relative who has little or no personal knowledge of the applicant has more limited value. If the sponsor is not a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR), the likelihood of the sponsor's support of an immigrant visa (IV) applicant until the applicant can become self- supporting is a particularly important consideration.

e. The degree of corroborative detail necessary to support the affidavit will vary depending upon the circumstances. For example, for a relatively short-term visitor, little, if any, would be required. In immigrant cases, however, the sponsor's statement should include:

(1) Information regarding income and resources;

(2) Financial obligations for the support of immediate family members and other dependents;

(3) Other obligations and expenses; and

(4) Plans and arrangements made for the applicant's support in the absence of a legal obligation toward the applicant.

That bold part indicates to me a non-USC could sponsor but might not be the best choice. It is a subjective decision and the officer can ask for whatever it takes to convince them. London typically doesn't ask for much. And just recently they have handed back the entire I-134 of at least 3 people once they were okay with the evidence they saw.

And you have to remember the first window is a clerical worker gathering documents. They have no decision authority. It would have to be the interview person (second window) who said they could not be convinced. I think you can still get by without a birth certificate.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.