Manileña Heart

Report of Marriage (k-1)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

What's ROM? Why do you have to report your marriage?

The US does not have a requirement to report or register marriages.

If you got married in the US, then your marriage certificate kept by the local authorities is sufficient proof of your marriage.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi to all :)

Kindly help me about this ROM process:

1. Is this as crucial as the AOS EAD AP steps ? It's been 31 days since we got married, is this ok?

2. Do we have an updated step by step guide to filing it?

Thanks sooo much!!!

No it is not crucial, it is not part of the visa process it is a Philippines thing. Report Of Marriage is to have your marriage recorded at NSO in the Philippines. If you plan to renew your passport in your married name you will need to complete ROM before doing the renewal.

What's ROM? Why do you have to report your marriage?

The US does not have a requirement to report or register marriages.

If you got married in the US, then your marriage certificate kept by the local authorities is sufficient proof of your marriage.

Report of Marriage is only for keeping NSO/Philippines informed of the marriage. See above /\

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

If do the ROM then you can change her passport then you're eligible for the Balikbayan Visa. Those issued a Balikbayan Visa are given a one year stay in the Philippines. There are no charges or extensions necessary to stay up to one year. Should you wish to stay longer than one year in the Philippines and are issued a Balikbayan Visa upon entry, you may stay on the Balikbayan Visa for a full year, then report to the Bureau of Immigration (BI) and convert your Balikbayan Visa to a Tourist Visa, at which time you can stay up to a maximum of 24 additional months following the rules and regulations imposed on a tourist visa holder in the Philippines.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone! Hank what is the benefit or necessity of changing my name on my Philippine passport? Thanks so much!

passport

No it is not crucial, it is not part of the visa process it is a Philippines thing. Report Of Marriage is to have your marriage recorded at NSO in the Philippines. If you plan to renew your passport in your married name you will need to complete ROM before doing the renewal.

Report of Marriage is only for keeping NSO/Philippines informed of the marriage. See above /\

Timeline

Thanks everyone! Hank what is the benefit or necessity of changing my name on my Philippine passport? Thanks so much!

passport

So that your passport matches your other I.D. = green card, driver's license, SS card. Then you don't have issues/concerns when traveling.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

CnYforever, on 11 Jun 2014 - 1:10 PM, said:

Hi to all :)

Kindly help me about this ROM process:

1. Is this as crucial as the AOS EAD AP steps ? It's been 31 days since we got married, is this ok?

2. Do we have an updated step by step guide to filing it?

Thanks sooo much!!!

The marriage of a Filipino should be reported to and registered with the Philippine National Statistics Office through the Embassy/Consulate General having jurisdiction over the locality where the marriage event took place. Please check the Consulate Finder or the Consulates Link for the states covered by the Embassy/Consulates General in the U.S.

We fell under the Embassy of the Philippines Washington DC. To give you an example of a step by step guide (some other Consulates are different so seek the advise to the one having jurisdiction over your locality of the marriage) see the link below.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#marriage

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good Day,

Please advise me what to do in reporting my marriage to Philippine consulate in LA. I want some clarifications in there Requirements but no one answer their phone. I called many times but sadly no one answer it.

Timeline

Good Day,

Please advise me what to do in reporting my marriage to Philippine consulate in LA. I want some clarifications in there Requirements but no one answer their phone. I called many times but sadly no one answer it.

Everything required is on the consulate website, column on the right side http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/default.htm

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you Hank. I read there Requirements and I just want to clarify about the birth certificate part. My husband wasn't born here in USA, does he require a birth certificate in the country of his birth or just a document that his a citizen here in USA like a naturalization certificate and passport? Because they didn't mention that in there Requirements.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you Hank. I read there Requirements and I just want to clarify about the birth certificate part. My husband wasn't born here in USA, does he require a birth certificate in the country of his birth or just a document that his a citizen here in USA like a naturalization certificate and passport? Because they didn't mention that in there Requirements.

Hi, Jessel! No need for your husband's birth certificate. Only the bio-page of his US passport will be asked. I just reported my marriage. They never asked for my husband's bc. Hope this helps.

12/20/2012 - I-129F Sent
12/24/2012 - NOA1 Receipt Date
12/28/2012 - Alien Registration Number Changed
05/13/2013 - NOA2
06/25/2013 - Medical at SLEC; TB Positive
07/18/2013 - Start DOT Treatment at SLEC
01/17/2014 - End of DOT
02/27/2014 - Remedical Done
03/07/2014 - Vaccine Given
03/18/2014 - USEM Interview | Visa Approved!
03/25/2014 - Visa on hand
03/28/2014 - CFO
04/17/2014 - POE Chicago, IL
07/14/2014 - Wedding in Chicago, IL
09/08/2014 - AOS, EAD and AP Package sent to USCIS
10/06/2914 - Biometrics at USCIS Grand Rapids

11/15/2014 - Received my EAD

02/03/2015 - GC Interview in USCIS Detroit, MI --> APPROVED

02/07/2014 - Green Card on Hand

Timeline

The process does not ask for a copy of the USC birth certificate, only asks for copies of yours.

For Item 3. A copy of the driver's license will do for the USC or it can be the BIO page of his passport.

Report of Marriage between Filipinos or a Filipino and a Foreign National

The marriage of a Filipino should be reported to and registered with the Philippine National Statistics Office through the Embassy/Consulate General having jurisdiction over the locality where the event took place. Please check the Consulate Finder or the Consulates Link for the states covered by the Embassy/Consulates General in the U.S.

BASIC REQUIREMENTS:

1. Four (4) original duly-accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, signed by both husband and wife. If submitting by mail, the completed forms must be notarized.
  2. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of the Marriage Certificate or Contract (original will be returned)
  3. Four (4) photocopies of a government-issued identification card or passport of both husband and wife
  4. Four (4) photocopies of Philippine birth certificate of Filipino spouse
  5. Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps for express or priority mail with tracking numbers via US Postal Service, or with pre-paid mailing envelope from private courier of choice, if Report of Marriage is to be mailed back.
  6. Processing fee of $25.00 (non-refundable), payable in cash, or money order, bank draft, certified check or cashier’s check, made payable to "Embassy of the Philippines" (or "Philippine Consulate General", if application is made at one of the Philippine Consulates General in the U.S.). Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.
  7. For applicants residing in U.S. territories or other countries within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy, applicants should enclose a treasurer’s, manager’s or certified check issued by a local bank that has a corresponding bank in the U.S., payable to the courier of choice, in U.S. dollars, to cover cost of mailing, and a corresponding self-addressed courier’s address label. Personal checks are not accepted.
Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hi, Jessel! No need for your husband's birth certificate. Only the bio-page of his US passport will be asked. I just reported my marriage. They never asked for my husband's bc. Hope this helps.

Well look who showed up!!! Glad to see things are progressing well with you two!!

Stay Happy!

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.