pro_star

Ugh, I need a rant...

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This move is financially killing me!!! Lost money on the house. Will lose money on the car. (Can't take it with me - still owe on it, I've only had it two years. Bright side I may be able to get a refund on my warranty - there's a nice clause about if you're leaving the country... And doesn't say you have to bring your car with you mwahahaha. Yeah warranties will transfer if you sell person to person but not if you're selling back to the dealership. Hiss.

Anyway. The real anger. So I call up bell.

They want almost $500 since I'm canceling early. Granted it was a three year contract over a year and a half ago (so the crtc three years don't apply doesn't apply to me...) but holy #######. Gonna call them back today hopefully talk to someone else and escalate to a manager if I must. They used to forgive the canceling fees if it was cause you were moving out of their service area. (And it used to be only $200!)

C'mon put me even more in the red. I dare you world. Who needs money to do a move from Alberta to Cali?

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh that sucks, hopefully things look much better soon and the move is easy on you.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Have you considered paying off the car once you sell the house? If your car is that new you might be able to keep it for a few years, which would preempt the need to buy a new car upon arriving in California. At least you would not lose on the depreciation and you would have a fairly new car here...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I am sorry, that truly sucks. You are describing my fears right now. I am already stressing about the cost of a move. I forgot that I have a new phone with Bell! Damnit!! I am going to review my budget for that one.

That is an interesting idea to pay off the car with the money from the house. Then you could keep it or try a private sale. You would get more for it I bet.

I am trying to think of anything I can do to get ahead of some of this stuff, but seems like there will be a storm no matter what I do!

I guess, just remember that it will all be over soon!

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

--------------------------

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

Ouch, that sucks! That is what I hate about phones with contracts! Props to all you people who have to sell houses and whatnot, must be difficult. Luckily I was living at home at the time, not that I could of afforded a house anyway, but I just left all my stuff there except a couple suitcases of clothes and what I could fit!

That sucks about the car, I considered driving mine here but I didn't understand how you import it and whatnot, and I didn't really want to drive 50 some hours haha. Luckily my parents took over the remaining payments and kept it for now.

Just think...when you come here you can just relax and attempt to de stress from all the headache this whole process gives us! I have kinda enjoyed not working. I got my EAD yesterday and am scared to start looking for a job, but have to since I am no help with money & I can't wait to get out of this apartment when we can afford something more! & we desperately need a new car, ours has no air conditioning (death) and sometimes I am afraid it is just going to break when I am driving it. Also jobs here, especially full time jobs, are hard to come by. It's a university town so lots of students working during the summer. Why can't we just all be rich and not have to worry about money??

11/09/2016 - i-751 sent

11/14/2016 - NOA1

12/08/2016 - Biometrics

06/04/2018 - i-751 approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would be contacting the DMV of your state to see if you can still register a Cdn vehicle that still has an outstanding loan....as each states DMV is different. And of course check to see if you the holder of your car loan will allow it to goto the USA

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

This move is financially killing me!!! Lost money on the house. Will lose money on the car. (Can't take it with me - still owe on it, I've only had it two years. Bright side I may be able to get a refund on my warranty - there's a nice clause about if you're leaving the country... And doesn't say you have to bring your car with you mwahahaha. Yeah warranties will transfer if you sell person to person but not if you're selling back to the dealership. Hiss.

They want almost $500 since I'm canceling early. Granted it was a three year contract over a year and a half ago (so the crtc three years don't apply doesn't apply to me...) but holy #######. Gonna call them back today hopefully talk to someone else and escalate to a manager if I must. They used to forgive the canceling fees if it was cause you were moving out of their service area. (And it used to be only $200!)

C'mon put me even more in the red. I dare you world. Who needs money to do a move from Alberta to Cali?

I feel your pain! I am hoping to sell my condo before I do my move, and had intended to pay off the balance of my car loan with the sale proceeds. If I can't sell it in the meantime, I might have to settle with renting it out. I really really did not want to have to resort to that. If my condo doesn't sell, I'll also be looking at selling my car to pay off the balance of the loan (I have had it for 3 years now with a 5 year loan, so hopefully I can sell it for an amount that at least covers the balance of the loan). Already tried asking TD if I could take my car with me, and was told absolutely not. :no:

I never thought of checking with my cell phone carrier to see what it would cost to break my contract, hopefully it isn't $500.00 though!

I have come to expect that moving is going to be pretty costly, but I still maintain that it's worth it to be with the one I love.

Timeline

I feel your pain! I am hoping to sell my condo before I do my move, and had intended to pay off the balance of my car loan with the sale proceeds. If I can't sell it in the meantime, I might have to settle with renting it out. I really really did not want to have to resort to that. If my condo doesn't sell, I'll also be looking at selling my car to pay off the balance of the loan (I have had it for 3 years now with a 5 year loan, so hopefully I can sell it for an amount that at least covers the balance of the loan). Already tried asking TD if I could take my car with me, and was told absolutely not. :no:

I never thought of checking with my cell phone carrier to see what it would cost to break my contract, hopefully it isn't $500.00 though!

I have come to expect that moving is going to be pretty costly, but I still maintain that it's worth it to be with the one I love.

with new law in effect its 2years max contrat it may cost $200, but if you have a new cellphone iphone get them to unlock also then you can either use it in USA or Sell it for good money on craigslist

my cellphone line I am transfering over to my Dads girlfriend as she doesnt havea contract and my phone is already unlocked so I dont even have to buy a phone just join Tmobile

Vancouver Canada to San Diego [Rancho Bernardo to be exact]

Timeline

with new law in effect its 2years max contrat it may cost $200, but if you have a new cellphone iphone get them to unlock also then you can either use it in USA or Sell it for good money on craigslist

my cellphone line I am transfering over to my Dads girlfriend as she doesnt havea contract and my phone is already unlocked so I dont even have to buy a phone just join Tmobile

Will definitely need to look into it. I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 and don't know of anyone I can transfer my contract to. I wonder if i could still unlock my phone and take it with me to the US and get it put on my fiance's cell plan? Fingers crossed that Sasktel will take mercy on me. haha

Timeline

Will definitely need to look into it. I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 and don't know of anyone I can transfer my contract to. I wonder if i could still unlock my phone and take it with me to the US and get it put on my fiance's cell plan? Fingers crossed that Sasktel will take mercy on me. haha

I think they have to all unlock phones after 90days they may charge for it

Vancouver Canada to San Diego [Rancho Bernardo to be exact]

Timeline

I feel your pain! I'm moving from BC to Cali and have to give up my home and car as well. Luckily for me, my parents have decided to take my car since they are in the market for another one. I will be having the same issue with Rogers. I'm losing money on the house... and I am also moving before it officially closes. We also just bought a house in Cali, need to buy a car when I arrive first week, and all the AOS fee's within the first 2 weeks. It's going to be pretty damn expensive! But... it's worth it! :)

I can't wait to look back in a few years and be thankful we're past that stage.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Timeline

I'm not sure what province you're in, but some provinces require you to hire a property management group, should you be an "out of country" landlord. It could get very costly (taxes, maintenance, insurance etc.) that you may be losing when renting.

I spoke with my accountant and was told I have 183 (around that - I don't have his exactly email in front of me for exact days) days to sell my home post-move without having to pay capital gains and losses. I don't know if it would be worth it for you to rent for a short period, if your intentions are to ultimately sell. If you rent it out, even for a short period of time, you'll have to pay taxes on it versus if you kept it vacant (and sell before the alloted time), it would be considered your primary residence and you won't be subject to cap gains.

My house will be vacant (my family will check on it daily - my father is a realtor as well) when I move. I'm prepared to pay for the mortgage for the 6 months, though I don't think it will sit on the market for that long... praying that Vancouver real estate picks up again!

Edited by Lights

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Timeline

Fingers crossed for you Lights!!!

The house sold a few months ago (after almost a year on the market) at a loss so there are no sale proceeds to cover car loss...

Just bend over and take it.

The crtc ruling on no more three year contracts - they couldn't issue new contracts after December 2013 I do believe. Those of us who signed contracts prior to that are hooped.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.