JanaknJanet

Language lesson

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

OKOK .. I must say I am a total retard when it comes to learning languages.. but.. I sooo want to learn.

My oldest daughter is a linguist.. getting her Masters to teach ESL .. Japanese/ Arabic.. .... and I have difficulty just making my tongue work to say the city name properly. haha.

I wish to learn a few words or slang.. any one wish to share what they have learned.

Janak is from Bhvanager.. Gujarat.. ..

so far . what I have learned..

Bahu(or bahoo) means "daughter in law"

Bhabhi( "pape") means sister in law

chalo bhai! "get a move on brothas!"

Pagal Mahilla (Crazy lady)

Didi is that sister? and .. may I be stupid and ask what does being called Desi mean?

can we make a list.. .. I would appreciate all i can learn... I want to suprise Jan...

Love isn't love unless it is expressed;

caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;

sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desi

This article is about the South Asian people. For other uses, see Desi (disambiguation).

Desi (pronounced /ˈd̪e:si/ or /ˈd̪e:ʃi/, Devanagari: देसी, Nastaliq: دیسی and alternatively spelled Deshi), literally means local or indigenous, as opposed to videshi (or videsi) meaning foreign. The term is used to refer to people or things of South Asian origin.

If used in this sense, it can include:

* People of South Asian origins (from one of the South Asian countries: India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Maldives)

* British Asians

* South Asian Americans

* South Asians living in Canada

* South Asians living in Australia

* Indian South Africans

* Sometimes, people of Indian origin only

* In India, the term, used as an adjective, can also refer to things originating from the countryside, or Indian-made goods as opposed to foreign or imported goods.

The term can also be used to refer to the diasporic subculture of overseas South Asians, usually those resident in English-speaking countries such as the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States, and Australia, or former British colonies such as South Africa, Kenya or Guyana.

Most South Asians embrace the term Desi while some consider it as derogatory.

There ya go! :)

Well I'm not sure of the variation between the Hindi words I know and what they speak in Gujarat but I'll tell you some Hindi that I know.

Pranaam= I think it's the respectful way to say greetings/blessings, because I say that to my in laws after hearing Sujeet always greet them that way

Chup Raho =shut up/be quiet! :D

Idhar aao= come here

Chalo = let's go

bahut dhanyavaad(that last word's a hard one to say right :wacko: ) = thank you very much

shukriya = thank you (I believe it's Urdu, not Hindi but is used by Hindi speakers too)

Kripaya= please (also Urdu, but used)

bolo = to speak, like you want someone to say something

sundar = beautiful

mujhe tumse pyar hai =I love you (I learned that one a long time ago when Sujeet was still in India)

pagal! = crazy!

I'll leave it at that for now...

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Timeline

A wonderful person that I once knew a few years ago thought me a couple of phrases. This is what I remember. You can imagine what I sounded like when I spoke it.... I'm mexican American.....with my accent speanking Hindi LOL

Appka naam kia hai? = What is your name"

Meri name (insert name here) hai. = My name is....

yaar = friend

Mein tumse pyaar karti hoonn = I love you

dil= Heart

bohout= allot

tum meri jan= your my sweet heart.

Nann= bread

panee= water *to ask for some water you say Panee de

Ghee= butter

gobi=colliflower

aloo=potato

shavel=rice

chalo=bye

ha= yes

nahi= no

kia bolta hai = slang for hows it going

chuma = kiss

chuma de= give me a kiss

Q =why (not sure how you spell this but you just prenouse it just like the letter "Q"

Q' kay = because (not sure how you spell this but you prenounce it it just like the letter "Q" and the name "kay"

Bachi or bacha= baby, infant, new born

ek second= give me a second

lol thats what comes to mind now....I will reserve all the bad words. I dont think you want to learn that. LOL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If you want to learn the naughty/nasty words, here you go:

Hindi:http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/hindi.htm

Gujurati:http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/gujarati.htm

I learned some interesting things to say to my future ILs here :devil: : Nepali: http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/nepali.htm

Warning: some ads on this site may be offensive/not work-safe so don't say you weren't warned!!

Edited by deathbydalbhat

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Q=Kyoon*

Mein chuti puti Hindi bolti hoon .... or something, LOL

Edited by Alex+R

Timeline
Q=Kyoon*

Mein chuti puti Hindi bolti hoon .... or something, LOL

What did you say about my 'puti'? :lol:

Dunno what it means in Hindi, but it means something nasty(or nice, depending on how you use it ;) ) in Nepali...

one hint: meow... :luv:

:whistle:

Timeline

On the topic of languages, I recommend the site http://www.phrasebase.com, especially the message boards. I haven't posted there in a while, but the S. Asian boards are really helpful. If anyone's interested, I know a lot of Nepali phrases/resources, but won't bore anybody here :P . Nepali is very similar to Hindi so a lot of the words are the same.

A good book for Hindi just published last year is 'Learn to Speak and Write Hindi' by P.K. Agarwal. It looks very straighforward but I honestly haven't really had a chance to study it - my focus is on getting our I-129F out the door...

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

nice for all the assistance...

now for the phonetics of the language hahaha... im sure im butchering every word hahahah

Love isn't love unless it is expressed;

caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;

sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
nice for all the assistance...

now for the phonetics of the language hahaha... im sure im butchering every word hahahah

I know kemcho = How are you? in gujarati. I learnt this from my colleagues at work.

Regarding desi, desi comes from des = country - literal translation of desi is "the one from the same country as me (assuming me - indian)" = Indian.

Indian people use it a lot to mean that other person is indian too. E.g you can hear myself telling hubby (although i am not indian) "A desi girl at work..." or "let's go to the desi dunkin donuts", meaning Dunkin Donuts operated by indian people.

However, desi has another meaning, this one used very ofen by young people.

When my desi hubby or his desi friends and some others, call other indian people desi, they don't really mean indian, they mean something completely different. This meaning of desi is more related to Behavior rather than country of origin.

How can I put this?

See, when hubby is driving and it happens that some other indian guy is you know, parked in the middle of the road where he is not supposed to or trying to park his car, or whatever that hubby considers it can be done in less time or in a more efficient way or something that is just not good because might bother others and the person doing the action doesn't care about, he starts calling this person "Desi, desi... desi ... Freakin***... desi..." and he adds "desi go back to India" :whistle: and then I tell him >> "You should love your own people" and we laugh like crazy!

Anyway, I love my desi husband, my desi friends and my desi co-workers!

Another term that relates to desi and you might hear too, is 'abc' = american born confused. Indians apply this term to the American born people of indian immigrant parents, most of them first generation born in the USA.

Citizenship

Timeline
Another term that relates to desi and you might hear too, is 'abc' = american born confused. Indians apply this term to the American born people of indian immigrant parents, most of them first generation born in the USA.

There is also the FOB...Fresh off the boat :P This would be applied to Indians coming here who don't understand things in the US like...you are not supposed to stare at girls, especially after they make eye contact with you....if a girl smiles at you does not mean she wants to have your babies, etc. :D

I heard it from an Indian girl, who was raised in the US and "Americanized", about local college students from India who kept thinking she was in love with them for saying hello and being nice. :lol:

There is also the FOB...Fresh off the boat :P This would be applied to Indians coming here who don't understand things in the US like...you are not supposed to stare at girls, especially after they make eye contact with you....if a girl smiles at you does not mean she wants to have your babies, etc. :D

I heard it from an Indian girl, who was raised in the US and "Americanized", about local college students from India who kept thinking she was in love with them for saying hello and being nice. :lol:

I also use the term "abcd" for desis born in Canada, not even making up the more technically-correct "cbcd"--as the cultural difference between Canada and US are less than those between Lakhnau and Gwalior (both cities in India's "Hindi belt) contrary to the opinion of many born-Canadians, and official government policies (which assume that the difference is like that between Isfahan and Bangkok).

Maybe "XFOB" (ex-FOB) would work for those such as your "Americanised" friend (or myself, as I was born in India and raised in Calgary)?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Just wanted to add that I didn't mean to be disrespectful with my previous posting. Just wanted to add a bit of humor to this topic.

When hubby saw my posting he said that maybe some people could get offended. I'm sorry if that happened, it was not my intention.

Citizenship

Just wanted to add that I didn't mean to be disrespectful with my previous posting. Just wanted to add a bit of humor to this topic.

When hubby saw my posting he said that maybe some people could get offended. I'm sorry if that happened, it was not my intention.

Haven't seen any of the born-Canucks on the thread yet (and it would be me, not you, who offends these). :lol:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

I also use the term "abcd" for desis born in Canada, not even making up the more technically-correct "cbcd"--as the cultural difference between Canada and US are less than those between Lakhnau and Gwalior (both cities in India's "Hindi belt) contrary to the opinion of many born-Canadians, and official government policies (which assume that the difference is like that between Isfahan and Bangkok).

Maybe "XFOB" (ex-FOB) would work for those such as your "Americanised" friend (or myself, as I was born in India and raised in Calgary)?

Well, from what I understand, it takes a certain type of behavior in order to be considered an "FOB". I could be wrong, but I don't think it simply means a new-comer. It means someone who has no clue that their particular behavior is unacceptable here and make fools out of themselves, because they don't seem to even care or research anything ahead of time. Such as gawking at women, even after getting dirty looks from them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am Gujarati... I'm not sure what you want to learn to say, but you are more than welcome to ask me and I will teach you! Here is a bit:

Kemcho - hello/how are you

Mujhama chu - I am well

Su karo cho - what are you doing?

Chal - lets go

Quick question...what part of Gujarat is your hubby from? I ask b/c dialects differ from different parts of the state

Ok..here's my timeline of sorts:

October 15, 2004: went to India

October 17, 2004: got engaged

October 23, 2004: got married!!!!

Dec. 22, 2004: went to U.S. Embassy, New Delhi-told to come back 9am the next morning

Dec. 23, 2004: filed I-130 at Delhi embassy

Jan 12, 2005: I came back to the U.S. :-(

Jan. 13, 2005: my husband went to Mumbai embassy personally to get packet 3

Jan. 15, 2005: sent out forms from packet 3

around the 2nd week of Feb: received interview date!!!! MARCH 18!!!!!

Feb. 16, 2005: sent out I-864 and other ppwk to my husband via DHL

Feb 20, 2005:[/color] husband received DHL pkg

end of Feb/beginning of March: went for medical

March 18, 2005 @ 7:30am: INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!! Got Visa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 27, 2005: my husband comes to the U.S.!!!!!!

April 9, 2005: Husband received his greencard!

April 20, 2005: Went to Social Security office to change my name and also applied for my husband's SS card since it hadn't arrived yet

April 29, 2005: Recieved both Social Security Cards!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.