RobertnLaura

Using Nexus Card while visiting

17 posts in this topic

Hi all - we just received email notice of receipt of our original application today (so I expect official notice in a week or two) - Yay!

Does anyone know if it is okay to use Nexus for visiting as we move through this process and/or if I need to make any adjustments to it? Currently, we are Buffalo/Toronto so we visit back and forth really often (almost every weekend). We also have tons of summer plans in both countries. I have my Toronto House tax and utility bills so I think I am prepared to establish that I will be returning but I just do not want to make any border crossing mistakes.

Any ideas?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't know about nexus but I know I did a couple normal border crossings when I was in the middle of the k1 applications.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Hey! When you say you received an email notice of receipt do you mean for the Nexus application or for your K1? I'm Windsor-Cleveland and I just applied for my Nexus card last night for primarily visiting purposes. Like you we're back and forth every weekend too. Do you mean visiting while the K1 is in process?

2015-03-07: Got engaged (L)

2015-03-30: Sent I-129F to Dallas lockbox

2015-04-14: NOA1 Packet received, sent to CSC

2015-05-07: NOA2 Approved!

2015-06-15: Received Packet 3 by mail

2015-06-17: Sent Packet 3 to Consulate

2015-07-14: Received Packet 4

2015-08-10: Medical in Toronto

2015-08-16: Received medical envelope

2015-08-24: Montreal interview- APPROVED!

2015-08-27: Visa arrives at Loomis location

2015-08-28: Visa in hand!

2015-09-17: Entered USA

2015-10-23: Married!

2016-01-11: Sent AOS Package I-485, I-765, I-131

2016-01-21: NOA1 Package received

2016-02-19: Biometrics

2016-04-01: AOS interview- APPROVED!

2016-04-07: 2 yr cond green card in hand

2018-03-12: sent ROC

2018-03-19: NOA date, 2018-03-24 letter rec'd

2018-05-18: Biometrics appt waived

2019-06-04 New biometrics letter received

2019-06-10 Biometrics

2019-06-18 ROC Approved
2019-06-25 10 year Green Card in hand

Filed: Timeline

Yes, you can use it. The Peace Bridge has always been the best for understanding the situation and process so maybe stick with them. Or do you go Whirlpool? Lewiston is coming up to speed if that area is closer to his home, but they are always way too busy for my liking. Rainbow absolutely never ever. lol

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey! I'm not a K1, but was CR1 and I traveled back and forth often using my Nexus, never had an issue. Always brought my paperwork just in case but they never said anything to me, just the normal "have a nice day" as you drive through. Bring your backup to show ties to home to be prepared every time, but I doubt you'll have an issue. It's possible of course, if you get a jerk officer, but I did it quiet often (would travel every other week to get cheap gas) and always went right through. Actually I just remembered, one time I got called in for secondary screening, and they asked me a couple questions - NOTHING about my pending visa application and let me through.

event.png

NOA1 - April 19, 2013

Case Transfer - November 25, 2013

NOA2 - December 4, 2013 (via CSC)

NVC rec'd - December 16, 2013

NVC case number - January 7, 2014

Email from NVC confirming EP - January 10, 2014

DS-261 avail and completed - January 15, 2014

AOS fee avail and paid - January 17, 2014

AOS fee shows "paid" - January 22, 2014

AOS/i-864 package sent - January 24, 2014

IV invoiced and paid - January 24, 2014

IV shows "paid" - January 29, 2014

DS-260 avail and completed - January 29, 2014

IV package sent - Janaury 31, 2014

Case COMPLETE!! - February 27, 2014 dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif

Medical Complete - March 24, 2014

Interview - April 2, 2014

APPROVED!! at April 2, 2014 interview, husband comes to Canada April 10th to cross over once my passport is returned. :wow:

April 13, 2014 - All moved in and even welcomed with a big surprise 'welcome to America party' by my husband and friends I've made here over the last year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used my nexus all the time when crossing by plane... no issues over here. I'd be ask "who are you visiting?" and I said "My fiance", there was a few times where the agent asked what our plans were and we just said we are following K1 procedures. They would congratulate us on getting engaged and then just let me through. I also brought back up (i.e. other flight itineraries coming out of Vancouver because I travel for work within US and Canada, my mortgage papers, and utility bills).

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

I had a K1 visa but cancelled it, and now am waiting on a CR1. While waiting for the K1 (and currently waiting for the CR1) I used my nexus tons of times at lewiston, rainbow, lower bridge (for nexus users only) and peace, and at yyz without any problems whatsoever. I've always travelled with supporting documents and always with my passport, just in case. I always tell the truth. and have never been questioned (touch wood!). But, be forewarned, once you have the K1 visa in your passport, it is a one time activation. You may want to curb your visits to the US once K1 visa is in hand, well, that is until your ready to POE. The USC is welcome to visit you, however.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

1. Always tell the truth

Carry proof of connection that will bring you back home : Lease, Employment contract , Family obligation

Don't have a car full of belongings like the Beverly Hillbillies that looks like you are moving

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Wow - I can't thank you enough for all your responses.

Loki_Go, I was referring to the K1 email. I have loved my Nexus card for several years now.

Krikit, Rob is currently in the Angola area so I have been using Peace for the most part. if I am travelling North or East, I use Whirlpool if Rob is not with me (he has just recently applied for Nexus). If he is, we have used Rainbow since Lewiston has been such a mess over the last few years but I think they have improved just recently.

I am so pleased to hear the using nexus is acceptable.

Does anyone know the point at which the border people know that the K1 is underway?

PS - I never lie. I am fundamentally a rules person and frankly, they have the authority to take my car; I like my car. :) Oh, and they can take my Nexus card which i also like - a lot!

There's a Wegmans on the way to Angola! :lol: I may be Wegmans-obsessed.

What's it like travelling across Whirlpool? I've never done that yet. Is it automated?... as in can I use EZpass?

Lewiston is a terrible POE. They're definitely improving, though.

CBP does not have access to the K-1 information at the primary checkpoint. They just have the basic data which pops up when they scan your card. If you're sent to secondary they'll add the info into the database, but it's not an issue with them.

iagree.gif

I am not worried about CBP - I am Canadian and currently a Canadian resident so I think they care not what I am doing in the US (unless i am bringing too much stuff back). it is just entering the US that gives me pause in this process. I gather since when filing the initial K1 petition, they do not ask for my SIN number or passport number, they do not know I am doing this yet, right? In either case, I am armed with property tax bills and utility bills, as well as a voter card and a doctor's appointment scheduled in July and August. Hoping that will suffice for now. Next time I take my dad to the doctor, i will ask him for a letter stating that I am dad's primary caregiver as well.

Whirlpool is great! I just got notice yesterday actually that you can use EZ pass at all the Niagara bridges, except Whirlpool. You need to put money on your Nexus card at the US-side kiosk the first time (you can just put on 5 bucks) and then you can add more online subsequent to that first time. Anyway, I have never seen more than 6 cars at Whirlpool and that was long due to construction or something.

Regarding the church of Wegmans. Wegmans give me so much Joy. We are along the lake just beyond Angola, so it really isn't on the way, but we will likely be moving shortly to a place that is very close to Orchard Park. This pleases me greatly. Wegmans and Premier Wine!!!!

Timeline

I am not worried about CBP - I am Canadian and currently a Canadian resident so I think they care not what I am doing in the US (unless i am bringing too much stuff back). it is just entering the US that gives me pause in this process. I gather since when filing the initial K1 petition, they do not ask for my SIN number or passport number, they do not know I am doing this yet, right? In either case, I am armed with property tax bills and utility bills, as well as a voter card and a doctor's appointment scheduled in July and August. Hoping that will suffice for now. Next time I take my dad to the doctor, i will ask him for a letter stating that I am dad's primary caregiver as well.

Whirlpool is great! I just got notice yesterday actually that you can use EZ pass at all the Niagara bridges, except Whirlpool. You need to put money on your Nexus card at the US-side kiosk the first time (you can just put on 5 bucks) and then you can add more online subsequent to that first time. Anyway, I have never seen more than 6 cars at Whirlpool and that was long due to construction or something.

Regarding the church of Wegmans. Wegmans give me so much Joy. We are along the lake just beyond Angola, so it really isn't on the way, but we will likely be moving shortly to a place that is very close to Orchard Park. This pleases me greatly. Wegmans and Premier Wine!!!!

We filed our K1 in January (while I was in the US for work, actually) and I traveled back and forth to the US many times while our application was pending and subsequently when our petition was approved.

I was even in the US for 4.5 weeks (half work and half play). I traveled when I had my interview set at the embassy. I never was given a tough time (touch wood) because I was always honest and disclosed information they asked for. I have found that when I disclosed we were going through the K1 visa route, they just let me through. I guess they think why would someone pay all that money and start the process (the correct way) just to muck it up by overstaying? Especially when you have proof of ties to Canada. I'm not sure what the agent see's but maybe they see all previous entries and no overstays.

Another thing that helps is an employment letter or proof of employment. We once met in Seattle and crossing by car is a bit different then plane (where you can show proof of return flight). When I went through by car, I just made sure I had meetings booked in the office etc. in case they asked for it.

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

The Church of Wegmans. :lol:

I've been using my EZpass all along at the Peace Bridge. It disappeared for a few months when they were doing construction, but it's been back for a while now. That makes me happy.

CBP is the US border services. (Customs & Border Protection)

CBSA is the Canadian border services. (Canadian Border Services Agency)

So, yeah. CBP cares. lol. Like I said, they don't know until you tell them.

iagree.gif

Timeline

To the OP - I am super jealous. I've been here in the US for 6+ years but wow - having your US fiance in such close proximity must be awesome!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.