second stage

N-400 JUNE 2014 Filers

1,745 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Even though I agree with the GC column I don't think we need to add a prediction column. And there is already an interview date column. I feel that after you are placed in line it's much harder to know when your interview will be, because it mainly depends on that person's field office. Personally I think it will create anxiety, especially if your prediction turns out to be off. And I think it will be somewhat confusing too for future filers.

I think people here are a little too used now to having other people predict or advise when they will be going to the next step. I think using previous months filers info is a great way to predict. You just have to do some research. For example, I've been in line for over a month now and based on the April filers info I should be getting my interview letter at the end of August for an interview date at the later half of September. But who really knows?

Being anxious could be a good thing. it'll tell you if your application is moving with everyone or if you need to take action if you deviate. I certainly want to know if am *stuck* and without tracking, I wouldn't know...

Anyway, it was only a suggestion and was going to be more work for me :rolleyes::no:

Mom sponsoring for her son(my brother)

06/15/2010 : I-130 for son
06/23/2010 : Check Cashed
06/26/2010 : Received NOA
03/20/2012 : Received RFE(I-797E)
05/23/2012: Application approved after RFE response
06/29/2012: Received letter from NVC

06/03/2015: Change petition from F1 to F3 category

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

6. K-1 & AOS & ROC TimeLine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

Being anxious could be a good thing. it'll tell you if your application is moving with everyone or if you need to take action if you deviate. I certainly want to know if am *stuck* and without tracking, I wouldn't know...

Anyway, it was only a suggestion and was going to be more work for me :rolleyes::no:

Hey, any way you could add a weather column as well to let us know the ambient temperature in each of the field offices? That's also a suggestion.

I don't want your suffering! I don't want your future!
I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 7th August, 2014)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Application Dispatched to USCIS
30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Application
31-MAR-14: N-400 Application Received by USCIS
31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated
31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS
07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched
07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated
08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received
14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment
29-MAY-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

06-JUN-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled
05-JUN-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated
11-JUN-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

16-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview Date - Initial Interview - Decision Could Not Be Made
16-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview Date - Requested to supply specific evidence documentation

17-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview - Follow-up Interview
17-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview - Specific evidence documentation submitted in person during follow-up interview

21-JUL-14: Application for Naturalisation approved

22-JUL-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

07-AUG-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled (Judicial Oath Ceremony)

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated
00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received
00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date
00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched
00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Hey, any way you could add a weather column as well to let us know the ambient temperature in each of the field offices? That's also a suggestion.

I could. If you volunteer to drive and report back from every field office...

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The NOA is 06/18 so we are good!!! I researched past few months and noticed that USCIS always took 3-5 days to acknowledge receipt once they received the application.

Ah, I see. Most of the posts about early filing denials that I read said that they went by the date the package arrives. Perhaps it differs from office to office - I certainly hope you're right.

On a similar note, there's some crazy stuff out there related to differences between interview scheduling procedures at different offices... like one poor guy who met all the requirements, filed on time, and then was denied because USCIS scheduled his interview 3 days before his anniversary date. He asked them to just delay the oath or reschedule his interview for a few days later... nope... they insisted on a denial. I know that lots of offices will interview you before your anniversary, but won't approve you until after your anniversary. Other offices will interview you and approve you, but will make sure to schedule you for your oath after your anniversary. Then there are offices like here in Houston, where if you go in for an interview before your anniversary, they will decline to interview you and will reschedule you for a later date (no idea why they can't check your date before they schedule you in the first place).

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

like one poor guy who met all the requirements, filed on time, and then was denied because USCIS scheduled his interview 3 days before his anniversary date. He asked them to just delay the oath or reschedule his interview for a few days later... nope... they insisted on a denial.

. Then there are offices like here in Houston, where if you go in for an interview before your anniversary, they will decline to interview you and will reschedule you for a later date (no idea why they can't check your date before they schedule you in the first place).

I think every case has some background(like name check was not completed and they need additional time etc.) but I don't think they will deny most likely reschedule. If they deny then you have lost your fees and I would be mad about that.

Who do you know from Houston who got declined? I would take that letter and send it to my Senator and ask him/her if USCIS is using resources appropriately and get your case expedited.

Edited by second stage

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

Timeline

I think every case has some background but I don't think they will deny most likely reschedule. If they deny then you have lost your fees and I would be mad about that.

Who do you know from Houston who got declined? I would take that letter and send it to my Senator and ask him/her if USCIS is using resources appropriately and get your case expedited.

Regarding early filing:

They deny people at the interview all the time for filing too early, and they keep the fees.

Regarding interview scheduling:

The Houston cases (3 cases if I remember correctly) weren't denied, the officer just declined to interview them at that time... the applicants were just told that it was office policy not to conduct an interview before the 3 or 5 year anniversary. They were rescheduled for one or two weeks later and all three passed. I don't think that's anything to get worked up about; USCIS reschedules interviews all the time... it's just inconvenient, and by the time you get a response from anyone, you'll likely have been approved.

The guy who was denied wasn't in Houston... it was a couple of years ago, but I remember the case because it was so odd and clearly not in line with USCIS rules. In this case, I definitely would have contacted my Congressperson or Senators for help.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Just a thought...

You guys seem to be doing a really good job of tracking when you'll be placed in-line for interviews. As people have noticed on earlier threads, a lot of people, are placed in line about a month before their 3rd or 5th year anniversary... this happens to often to be a coincidence (maybe in 60%-70% of cases).

However, there's really no point in guessing when you'll be placed in line if once you're placed in line you may stay there for 1 month in one office and 3 months in another office. Have you guys seen any patterns in how long it takes to get the interview?

The way I see it, being placed in line is meaningless... I'm not sure why USCIS even has this status... and it's the interview that matters.

As far as I can see, the only way to guess when your interview might be is to look at applicants from previous months for your office. In that case, all you need to know is the day you applied and how long it's taken past applicants to get an interview... the in line date doesn't help with that, does it?

I am shocked you are not supporting this new idea, after your reply to one of my comments. I suppose you have a lot of free time while waiting for your oath. :bonk:

Just a thought...

You guys seem to be doing a really good job of tracking when you'll be placed in-line for interviews. As people have noticed on earlier threads, a lot of people, are placed in line about a month before their 3rd or 5th year anniversary... this happens to often to be a coincidence (maybe in 60%-70% of cases).

However, there's really no point in guessing when you'll be placed in line if once you're placed in line you may stay there for 1 month in one office and 3 months in another office. Have you guys seen any patterns in how long it takes to get the interview?

The way I see it, being placed in line is meaningless... I'm not sure why USCIS even has this status... and it's the interview that matters.

As far as I can see, the only way to guess when your interview might be is to look at applicants from previous months for your office. In that case, all you need to know is the day you applied and how long it's taken past applicants to get an interview... the in line date doesn't help with that, does it?

I think being in-line is to help you compare your timeline within your local office and not other office(as in Tampa vs Tampa and not Tampa vs Chicago)

What I have noticed(as a rule of thumb):

1. If you applied early then, doing your Bio early does not help.
  2. If you applied early then, you'll be placed IN-LINE about 30 days before your anniversary date.
  3. If you did not apply early then, you'll be placed IN-LINE within few days after your Bio.
  4. If you applied early then, you will receive interview notification within 30 days after your anniversary date(GC date)

Again, don't ask me to quote - just observation based on other threads...

Edited by second stage

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

I think being in-line is to help you compare your timeline within your local office and not other office(as in Tampa vs Tampa and not Tampa vs Chicago)

2. If you applied early then, you'll be placed IN-LINE about 30 days before your anniversary date.
  3. If you did not apply early then, you'll be placed IN-LINE within few days after your Bio.
  4. If you applied early then, you will receive interview notification within 30 days after your anniversary date(GC date)

And what about if one applied on-time, did early bio, get in-line in a week? When will I receive my interview notification? just curious :idea:

Timeline

second stage,

All four of your observations above are wrong; in fact, each one is true in the exact opposite.

If I had to make a bold "prediction" which you seem to be rather fond of, it would be that, before the end of August, more than a few of your thread-mates may be facing second stage-fatigue! B-)

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

29-MAY-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

16-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview Date - Initial Interview - Decision Could Not Be Made
16-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview Date - Requested to supply specific evidence documentation

17-JUL-14: Naturalisation Interview - Specific evidence documentation submitted in person during follow-up interview

22-JUL-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

07-AUG-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled (Judicial Oath Ceremony)

Timeline

That's exactly my point... of the 4 points you listed, only two really matter; the 1st and the 4th. Even when comparing to others at the same office.

If you applied early, then don't bother doing your bio-early... totally agree with that. If you applied after your anniversary date, or just before it, then early bio will help.

If you applied early, then you will receive interview notification within 30 days after your anniversary date... not sure I agree, but let's assume that it's true... if that's true, how does it possibly matter if you're placed in line the day after biometrics or the day before you get your interview letter?

It seems to me that you could just delete the whole in line column and not lose any information about when you might be scheduled.

If you apply early and you're at an "average" office, you'll be interviewed within 30 days after your anniversary.

I think I must be missing something! That's ok though... this is your month... I'm just being inquisitive. :-)

Edited by JimmyHou

Timeline

I am shocked you are not supporting this new idea, after your reply to one of my comments. I suppose you have a lot of free time while waiting for your oath. :bonk:

I like to think I'm objective: your criticism of second stage was baseless, so I stated likewise. Now, second stage's enthusiasm seems in over-drive, so I employed sarcasm to highlight that.

Nothing personal. Let me know when you have recovered from your shock.

That's exactly my point... of the 4 points you listed, only two really matter; the 1st and the 4th. Even when comparing to others at the same office.

If you applied early, then don't bother doing your bio-early... totally agree with that. If you applied after your anniversary date, or just before it, then early bio will help.

If you applied early, then you will receive interview notification within 30 days after your anniversary date... not sure I agree, but let's assume that it's true... if that's true, how does it possibly matter if you're placed in line the day after biometrics or the day before you get your interview letter?

It seems to me that you could just delete the whole in line column and not lose any information about when you might be scheduled.

If you apply early and you're at an "average" office, you'll be interviewed within 30 days after your anniversary.

I think I must be missing something! That's ok though... this is your month... I'm just being inquisitive. :-)

You seem to like to argue(nothing wrong with that as long as there is no personal attack) whatever I post so please let's hear your predictions.

Tell us few scenarios when someone applies early what happens and when someone applies on-time what happens and when should someone *freak* out when their case is not progressing as expected.

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

Timeline

You seem to like to argue(nothing wrong with that as long as there is no personal attack) whatever I post so please let's hear your predictions.

Tell us few scenarios when someone applies early what happens and when someone applies on-time what happens and when should someone *freak* out when their case is not progressing as expected.

No argument intended at all... I simply asked a question... does knowing when you are in line help you know when your interview will be scheduled?

Your answer was no. You already know that your interview will be scheduled by adding 30 days to your green card anniversary.

So I asked a follow-up question: what use is knowing the in-line date if you already have a prediction of when you you'll be scheduled for an interview?

I was trying to understand if there was a reason the in-line date was important because I read a lot of back and forth on this thread about whether or not it should be included.

"so please let's hear your predictions" makes it sound like I'm saying your predictions are wrong... which I didn't say at all... I actually think you're pretty accurate with the in-line prediction... I just don't understand why that date matters.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I just want you to tell me why the in-line date matters... not because I think what you're saying is wrong, but because I genuinely don't understand what that date actually means. If the date doesn't matter, that's fine... it doesn't make your prediction any less accurate.

I'm afraid I don't understand your second sentence... what happens when someone applies early? As in 90 days early? I assume they get done before someone who applies on time... and I really don't know what you mean about when someone freaks out.

Edited by JimmyHou

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.