shippingforecast

Lost In Translation

153 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I hate sweater instead of jumper.

I agree on swearing, I've made Americans laugh with "a right bollocking" and many variations.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

I hate sweater instead of jumper.

I agree on swearing, I've made Americans laugh with "a right bollocking" and many variations.

The sweater/jumper debacle... Long have we playfully squabbled over what the correct terminology for anything with long sleeves is.

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

I'm not sure there is the nuance in American swearing that there is in English. I was asked by some High Schoolers last week about the various , let's call them uncouth, terms used in The Inbetweeners.

I was asked about someone being called a "w**ker". I tried to explain that this could used as almost a term of endearment as well as an outright insult - context is all. Same goes for "#######". The word shite mentioned earlier is to me a different word completely to it's obvious origin.

I did once try explaining how Brits can use our super word "really" to mean just about anything from the excited right through to complete sarcasm - all in the same sentence :-)

Richard

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Has anyone been to an MLS game? I would like to go to one but I worry that my behaviour will be unseemly lol. I like to call the referee choice names and join in the terrace banter in the UK and I dread the looks I'd get if I shouted W***er at the referee or something. Or maybe if I don't care about either team it won't matter so I'll sit there and behave? Who knows!

I was sat in a bar in the US back in 2012 watching a game on TV and the ref missed a blatant sending off and I shouted something like "my f***ing 82 year old grandma could have seen that and she's got cataracts"! Every one in the place turned and looked lol.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Has anyone been to an MLS game? I would like to go to one but I worry that my behaviour will be unseemly lol. I like to call the referee choice names and join in the terrace banter in the UK and I dread the looks I'd get if I shouted W***er at the referee or something. Or maybe if I don't care about either team it won't matter so I'll sit there and behave? Who knows!

I was sat in a bar in the US back in 2012 watching a game on TV and the ref missed a blatant sending off and I shouted something like "my f***ing 82 year old grandma could have seen that and she's got cataracts"! Every one in the place turned and looked lol.

You should check out hockey. It's a bit less civilized. Or at least football. Baseball is lovely, but nothing like football back in England! I was amazed at some of the chants (although quick to join in)...some of those chants would certainly not pass over here! Too many people would be up in arms!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

The Husband just ran downstairs (after I'd been hearing a lot of commotion up there) and exclaimed:

"The dog has gone PROPER mental!"

So cute. :lol:

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

You should check out hockey. It's a bit less civilized. Or at least football. Baseball is lovely, but nothing like football back in England! I was amazed at some of the chants (although quick to join in)...some of those chants would certainly not pass over here! Too many people would be up in arms!

I'm looking forward to checking out some MLS when I get there - more than likely I'll be catching some Houston Dynamo games (despite the fact that, whenever I check the score they're losing or have lost). I used to play ice hockey a long time ago, so I'm bummed that there's not a NHL level team based in Houston. That said I'm a Colorado Avalanche fan.

I don't think the atmosphere of a MLS game will come anywhere to near to what I'm used to - after you've been to a few Old Firm (Rangers/Celtic) games EVERYTHING is tame by comparison.

Edited by shippingforecast

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

Timeline

Ice hockey is definitely on my list, people kept mentioning about watching the Red Sox but I don't fancy baseball or basketball either. I'm going to go and watch New England Revolution, am not expecting it to be like football in the UK but at least it's football.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ice hockey is great fun if you like shouting and fighting, and sometimes shouting and fighting at the same time.

Baseball is fun so long as you take enough cash for the bar.

Basketball is amazing from the first 50 rows, but increasingly unimpressive the further back you go in the seats.

For me, the NFL is the real jewel as a fan experience, from the pre-game tailgate parties right through to rocking crowd noise... its a genuine American spectacle. Of course, it does help if you understand the game, although its nowhere near as confusing as people make out.

MLS has a way to go yet, but I agree that some football is better than no football. Just ask Scotland.

I surprised her with a proposal in Los Angeles, and this is how it went down!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No sporting event for any sport, anywhere in the world can rival the annual Army vs Navy rugby match at Twickenham for crowd lunacy.

For years I've wanted to invite some old friends from the US over to witness it/be traumatised by it.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Hubs is a Gooner, and he's been to at least 4 or 5 Houston Dynamo games now (one included seeing the infamous Thierry Henry for the Red Bulls!). You can definitely yell and shout as most of the people in attendance are season ticket holders and passionate about the team. I'm sure "W***er" will be fine and perhaps "B*****ks" as well since they're not well known curses, but I'd avoid "C U Next Tuesday" and "F***in 'ell!". lol

There's a music section with live drums and trumpets, and a poor guy who waves a giant flag the ENTIRE game - they call themselves the Texian Army. The pre-game tailgating is also a lot of fun and unusual for the sport since it's mainly associated with NFL games. :)

______

I like to poke fun at my hubby for saying "Haich" (H) instead of "aich". Especially when he suggests going to Haich-E-B. lol

Edited by k.dlg

Our Visa Journey(s)

K-1 Visa
01/15/2013 - Sent I-129F overnight via Fedex
07/17/2013 - Sent to London
*** Abandoned K1 Visa route due to wedding plans that could NOT be changed**

07/27/2013 - Married in TX!!

CR-1 Visa
09/12/2013 - Sent I-130 overnight via Fedex
09/18/2013 - NOA1 - E-mail and text - Sent to NBC Overland Park
03/03/2014 - Case Transferred to CSC
03/27/2014 - NOA2 - E-mail and text - APPROVED!!!
04/04/2014 - NVC Received

05/05/2014 - Case Number & IIN Assigned

05/08/2014 - Submitted DS-261

05/10/2014 - AOS Available/Paid/Sent Package

05/13/2014 - AOS Package Received/Fee withdrawn (Scanned on 5/15) - Happy bday to me! :)

05/14/2014 - AOS Shows as PAID

05/19/2014 - IV Available/Paid/Sent Package

05/20/2014 - IV Fee withdrawn/Shows as PAID/DS-260 Available & Submitted

05/21/2014 - IV Package Received (Scanned on 5/23)

06/13/2014 - AOS Approved

06/26/2014 - CASE COMPLETE!!! (Confirmed by call, AOS changed to N/A)

07/10/2014 - Interview date assigned!!!! (August 19th)

07/11/2014 - Received Interview letter via e-mail

07/21/2014 - Hubby's medical (Passed!)/E-mail sent to embassy requesting earlier date

07/23/2014 - Interview rescheduled!!

08/04/2014 - INTERVIEW IN LONDON!! - APPROVED!!!!! :luv:

08/12/2014 - VISA IN HAND!!

08/30/2014 - POE in Houston!!

352 days from filing to POE

*Full timeline in profile

Removal of Conditions (I-751)

07/07/2016 - Sent I-751 overnight via USPS

07/08/2016 - CSC received & NOA1

07/21/2016 - Biometrics letter received
07/25/2016 - Walk-in Biometrics Appt (Org. appt - 8/2)

"Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars."

- Gilbert Parker

I'm looking forward to checking out some MLS when I get there - more than likely I'll be catching some Houston Dynamo games (despite the fact that, whenever I check the score they're losing or have lost). I used to play ice hockey a long time ago, so I'm bummed that there's not a NHL level team based in Houston. That said I'm a Colorado Avalanche fan.

I don't think the atmosphere of a MLS game will come anywhere to near to what I'm used to - after you've been to a few Old Firm (Rangers/Celtic) games EVERYTHING is tame by comparison.

Ha! Maybe we'll see you there. We've been pretty consistent over the last few years with being MLS cup contenders. ;) We USED to have a hockey team and a damn good one at that - the Houston Aeros. They got sold and transferred, last year? Went to a game with a friend ... not my cuppa.

Edited by k.dlg

Our Visa Journey(s)

K-1 Visa
01/15/2013 - Sent I-129F overnight via Fedex
07/17/2013 - Sent to London
*** Abandoned K1 Visa route due to wedding plans that could NOT be changed**

07/27/2013 - Married in TX!!

CR-1 Visa
09/12/2013 - Sent I-130 overnight via Fedex
09/18/2013 - NOA1 - E-mail and text - Sent to NBC Overland Park
03/03/2014 - Case Transferred to CSC
03/27/2014 - NOA2 - E-mail and text - APPROVED!!!
04/04/2014 - NVC Received

05/05/2014 - Case Number & IIN Assigned

05/08/2014 - Submitted DS-261

05/10/2014 - AOS Available/Paid/Sent Package

05/13/2014 - AOS Package Received/Fee withdrawn (Scanned on 5/15) - Happy bday to me! :)

05/14/2014 - AOS Shows as PAID

05/19/2014 - IV Available/Paid/Sent Package

05/20/2014 - IV Fee withdrawn/Shows as PAID/DS-260 Available & Submitted

05/21/2014 - IV Package Received (Scanned on 5/23)

06/13/2014 - AOS Approved

06/26/2014 - CASE COMPLETE!!! (Confirmed by call, AOS changed to N/A)

07/10/2014 - Interview date assigned!!!! (August 19th)

07/11/2014 - Received Interview letter via e-mail

07/21/2014 - Hubby's medical (Passed!)/E-mail sent to embassy requesting earlier date

07/23/2014 - Interview rescheduled!!

08/04/2014 - INTERVIEW IN LONDON!! - APPROVED!!!!! :luv:

08/12/2014 - VISA IN HAND!!

08/30/2014 - POE in Houston!!

352 days from filing to POE

*Full timeline in profile

Removal of Conditions (I-751)

07/07/2016 - Sent I-751 overnight via USPS

07/08/2016 - CSC received & NOA1

07/21/2016 - Biometrics letter received
07/25/2016 - Walk-in Biometrics Appt (Org. appt - 8/2)

"Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars."

- Gilbert Parker

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've been to quite a few sporting events in Chicago during time visiting my fiancé, so here's my summary...

Chicago Fire (MLS): went with some friends, and they tailgate too like the 'real' football, 3 hours prior to kick off your allowed in. BBQ is lit, drinks are drank, bags (corn holes) are thrown, ball is kicked, and everyone has a good time. Then you go into the game and watch a pretty terrible atmosphere of a game (Chicago I believe have their own 'ultra' section, which are one of the vociferous in the MLS. Problem is, for all they try, they don't carry it round the stadium in the way Celtic and the European's ultras do...& trust me, this season you need some distraction from the actual game itself at Celtic)

In summary, lots of alcohol is drank, seats are very cheap, football is not good. 1 game I went to was against Aston Villa two summers ago. I almost fell asleep. Swearing is allowed though, or I was just past the point of caring by then.

Chicago Cubs (MLB) Much like going to Boston to see the Red Sox, a visit to Chicago is bit complete without going to see the Cubs...sadly the Cubs know this too, so prices are not cheap (for cheaper seats you can go to the White Sox, or drive to Milwaukee for a very cool experience)

I enjoy watching baseball, and enjoy the atmosphere at Wrigleyville. It's pretty special. That said, drinks are dear ($8) and be prepared to drink a few. Plus the Cubs suck, so be prepared to drink a few more...I took my parents to Wrigley last summer, and let's just say they weren't too impressed.

Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) as a massive hockey fan, me and my fiancé decided to celebrate our engagement at Christmas by going to a Hawks game. I have never been to a more incredible atmosphere out with an old firm game than that night. The place was buzzing. Sadly though, as the Hawks won the Stanley Cup last year, prices have rocketed, and $70 got us two standing room only tickets up in the heavens. Definitely worth it though. I've also been to the 'minors' the AHL which is also a very high level and would definitely go back.

There's my take on American sports. I haven't been to a basketball game because simply it doesn't interest me. It all seems too easy (I know it's not but you know the other person is scoring 99% of the time they have the ball) and nor have I been to Soldier Field, but that'll change very quickly (if I'm allowed...)

Motorsport - that's what I'm looking forward to. And hopefully not at F1 prices too ...

I'm a fan of European sports cars and F1 but anything with gas-o-leeeen and fast cars is a good enough substitute. First off bring-yer-own drag racing at the local Infinion Speedway. Might take the wife's Chevy Tahoe :-)

Richard

event.png

event.png

I've been to quite a few sporting events in Chicago during time visiting my fiancé, so here's my summary...

Chicago Fire (MLS): went with some friends, and they tailgate too like the 'real' football, 3 hours prior to kick off your allowed in. BBQ is lit, drinks are drank, bags (corn holes) are thrown, ball is kicked, and everyone has a good time. Then you go into the game and watch a pretty terrible atmosphere of a game (Chicago I believe have their own 'ultra' section, which are one of the vociferous in the MLS. Problem is, for all they try, they don't carry it round the stadium in the way Celtic and the European's ultras do...& trust me, this season you need some distraction from the actual game itself at Celtic)

In summary, lots of alcohol is drank, seats are very cheap, football is not good. 1 game I went to was against Aston Villa two summers ago. I almost fell asleep. Swearing is allowed though, or I was just past the point of caring by then.

Chicago Cubs (MLB) Much like going to Boston to see the Red Sox, a visit to Chicago is bit complete without going to see the Cubs...sadly the Cubs know this too, so prices are not cheap (for cheaper seats you can go to the White Sox, or drive to Milwaukee for a very cool experience)

I enjoy watching baseball, and enjoy the atmosphere at Wrigleyville. It's pretty special. That said, drinks are dear ($8) and be prepared to drink a few. Plus the Cubs suck, so be prepared to drink a few more...I took my parents to Wrigley last summer, and let's just say they weren't too impressed.

Chicago Blackhawks (NHL) as a massive hockey fan, me and my fiancé decided to celebrate our engagement at Christmas by going to a Hawks game. I have never been to a more incredible atmosphere out with an old firm game than that night. The place was buzzing. Sadly though, as the Hawks won the Stanley Cup last year, prices have rocketed, and $70 got us two standing room only tickets up in the heavens. Definitely worth it though. I've also been to the 'minors' the AHL which is also a very high level and would definitely go back.

There's my take on American sports. I haven't been to a basketball game because simply it doesn't interest me. It all seems too easy (I know it's not but you know the other person is scoring 99% of the time they have the ball) and nor have I been to Soldier Field, but that'll change very quickly (if I'm allowed...)

This is a great overview! We are lucky to have some very great sporting teams in chicago. There are also "outside" games that come to town. Today Soldier Field hosted a soccer game between Mexico and Bosnia-Herzegovina...quite the crowd! July brings Tottenham/Chicago Fire and Liverpool/? at Soldier Field as well.

Throughout the states is also auto racing. F1 is only is Austin now (fingers crossed for a NY/NJ race, but there is IndyCar, NASCAR, Kart, drag, a few drift events, and others. Always something to experience!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.