ketahpahnen

Has anyone ever been asked to provide a certificate of non-existence of record of marriage?

41 posts in this topic

We inquired about this at the local police station. and he was able to find out that his name is similar to the husbands name but it is not exact. There is no nikah, and he is adamant that he has never before been married. He has that proof from the ministry, we are only hoping to find out where to get this specific paperwork that USCIS is asking for.

Did he get a Family Status document from the police station? That would include his full name and the ID number off of his government issued ID, so no information from someone else's marriage could be attributed to him.

The RFE says the consulate has information that says he's married. They have his name, her name, and a date. Egypt's marriage records, for registered marriages anyway, aren't shabby and mismanaged and they're all entered into the database that's accessible at a police station. I can't imagine why a Family Status document wouldn't be sufficient.

He can be adamant all he wants but the proof is in the paperwork. All he needs to do is have a report run on himself. It's not hard.

Edited by Ihavequestions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Did he get a Family Status document from the police station? That would include his full name and the ID number off of his government issued ID, so no information from someone else's marriage could be attributed to him.

The RFE says the consulate has information that says he's married. They have his name, her name, and a date. Egypt's marriage records, for registered marriages anyway, aren't shabby and mismanaged and they're all entered into the database that's accessible at a police station. I can't imagine why a Family Status document wouldn't be sufficient.

He can be adamant all he wants but the proof is in the paperwork. All he needs to do is have a report run on himself. It's not hard.

He got an Extract of Individual Registration and a Family Status, but I never took the second paper to be translated. I thought the 2 papers he sent me was translated into one paper (my fault) but he will go back this week to retrieve both papers a second time. I also asked if he could go in and request a marriage certificate and put his name and hers on the request. Maybe if they say there is no record of that he can ask for an official paper stating this information?? We are also confused as to why they arent accepting the Extract of Individual Registry from the ministry of interior. He was told that is what they give for people requesting what we have asked for and there is no place for his to ask for such specific information. All certificates have applications assigned to them. We dont know where to request this info and they will do it.

The Individual Registry is either the registration of his birth or the registration for his national ID. That's not what they want.

The MOI will give him a Family Record extract for a whopping 30 LE. He can get it done at a police station. It will show all persons attached to his ID number, meaning wives.

The government is saying they have a record he was married at one time. National ID numbers are attached to marriage (and divorce) records, so a name search will get him nowhere. I'm pretty sure he knows this.

Look, I'm not going to tell you your guy is scammy, but this is one big red flag, particularly because anyone can take an ID number down to a police station and get a record of anyone else. If the government is saying they have proof he's married, they have a good reason. Do you still have the second paper, the one you never got translated? I'd be having that done, like, yesterday.

ETA: The MOI has a pretty thorough mechanism to get stuff online.

http://www.egypt.gov.eg/services/avlblservices.aspx?section=personas

It won't be official unless it comes from the police station with the proper stamps, but the stuff is online. Again, it's not hard.

Edited by Ihavequestions

Timeline

He is going to MOI/MOJ to ask for the family record tomorrow. It will be getting translated after we receive it and then mailed to me. Our only hope is that they get to it before ramadan. Otherwise he is thinking it may take them 3 weeks instead of one. He talked to a "Manager" at his local office and was told to go to Cairo if he wanted to ask for specific wording on his certificate. And said to mention that there was a mix up with the information given to the Embassy and that he would like to see what they had given them. We will know on Monday if they will give him the paper he asks (with specific information) or just the family extract, either way we want this to be the right paper...I do not want to wait another 18 months for disappointing news...thanks everyone, I will update you again if we hear anything else.

p.s. did the waiver paragraph so I dont forget later.

Timeline

And? What happened?

they refused to write a certificate with specific information, "no matter what the USCIS wants". He only wanted to ask, just to see what their reply would be. He will be going to his local police department to get the family extract AND the Individual registration. the Family Extract will be the only thing we translate since the Individual Extract was already submitted.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

And? What happened?

Does it matter if we get the papers translated in Egypt or if we get them translated here in the US? Can we send copies of these papers or should we send them the originals and keep copies for ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

You can have them translated either place. Send the originals and keep copies. It's easy enough to replace those originals if you have to.

The Family Extract and an affidavit signed by the Ministry are in transit via FedEx, Both are translated from St. George Translation services in Cairo. I have also written an IMBRA waiver. He has asked if it would help if he wrote a letter as well. Does the waiver have to be notarized????

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

No, the waiver request does not need to be notarized.

I would not think it is necessary for him to include a letter unless it would be for further clarification. It may even confuse them more

depending on his language skill and how he would get it across.

You can also do that. Keep it very short to the point if you do, half a page.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

The evidence for the RFE was accepted on July 31, 2014. the website states they should update or make a decision within 60 days. I despise the waiting, but will be relieved when this has all been cleared up. 2 wks to go.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

DENIED!! :ranting::cry: USCIS said that the evidence provided was not sufficient, and did not show that my fiance is legally free to marry. We filed our appeal on November 8th, and have 30 days to provide a brief with or without further evidence. This waiting game is stressful and annoying. But as I have been told and assured, if we want to keep going with our relationship and start our life together, we have to prove this wrong. I dont know what else there is to do other than find this lady and ask for her help. I know it isn't customary in their country, but there has to be a way to go about this. lol Does anyone from Egypt know of any paper called a certificate of non-existence of marriage, or another PAPER that attests to my fiance's legal ability to marry? I would really really appreciate any help ANYONE can give us. thanks and good luck to everyone! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I hope someone will be able to help that is familiar with Egyptian documents. (F)

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

DENIED!! :ranting::cry: USCIS said that the evidence provided was not sufficient, and did not show that my fiance is legally free to marry. We filed our appeal on November 8th, and have 30 days to provide a brief with or without further evidence. This waiting game is stressful and annoying. But as I have been told and assured, if we want to keep going with our relationship and start our life together, we have to prove this wrong. I dont know what else there is to do other than find this lady and ask for her help. I know it isn't customary in their country, but there has to be a way to go about this. lol Does anyone from Egypt know of any paper called a certificate of non-existence of marriage, or another PAPER that attests to my fiance's legal ability to marry? I would really really appreciate any help ANYONE can give us. thanks and good luck to everyone! :)

Find what lady?

What isn't customary? Going to a government place and asking for a piece of paper? It happens all the time!

There is no such thing as a "certificate of non-existence of marriage." What the Embassy wants is a search of government records, done by an official, with a result that says he has never been married. Your fiance already obtained that, so what's the problem?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The Family Extract and an affidavit signed by the Ministry are in transit via FedEx, Both are translated from St. George Translation services in Cairo. I have also written an IMBRA waiver. He has asked if it would help if he wrote a letter as well. Does the waiver have to be notarized????

The problem is USCIS said these documents are not sufficient. I really don't know how to prove someone has never been married. With us, my spouse has never been married in Iran because he never had me added to his ID card or passport. But we are married in the US. Has your fiancé ever travelled outside Egypt where maybe he got married and forgot? I know, but I am trying to be delicate here.

I don't understand why the US embassy believes he is or was married previously. The only thing that crosses my mind is either someone filed a petition for him or he applied for a visa previously and stated he was married (I think this happened to someone else on VJ).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.