Emily975

Adjustment of Status - L2 -> GC

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, VJ-ers!

A little bit of background - me and my husband are both foreign nationals (EU) and came to US a year ago. He is on his L1A visa, sponosred by his company and I am on my L2 visa and have an EAD. His company offered 'blanket' application for GC, so we went for it. They have a lawyer handling it, of course, but since I would rather see him managing our application than answering my questions, I decided to ask here. They are really just random questions going through my head as I read about the AOS on VJ. So any answers, speculations, guesses... Everything is fine :)

- What kind of adjustment is it? Work for him, family for me? Work for both of us?

- Will our applications be dealt with concurrently or will his be first and mine second? (And if that's the case - do I have to leave the country, because I would be out of status - he would no longer have an L visa, and mine would automatically be invalidated?)

- Will we have to have an interview?

- What kind of GC will we get in case we get approved? 2 year? 10 year? Will my GC still be dependant on his status?

- What happens with my EAD and my job? Can I continue working while the GC process is taking its course? Will there be a period, when I could not legally work?

- What happens if the application is rejected?

Thanks so much for your help! :)

p.s.: no timeline, since I haven't got the slightest idea, how far in the process are we.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I believe that :

- Work for both of you

- Concurrently (you will be derivative)

- I think so

- 10 year, no dependency on anybody's status

- Nothing, your EAD will be valid until it expires or you get your GC whichever comes first.

- You stay on your L status and either extend it or go home once it expires.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.