The FH Project

Brazilian marriage certificate as birth certificate

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey Visa Journeyers!

My husband is Brazilian and we are gathering our paperwork for the NVC part of this massive bureaucratic journey. One of the documents needed is his birth certificate. However, when we were married, they took his birth certificate and said that his marriage certificate is his 'new' birth certificate. How do we proceed with the supporting documentation for the DS-260 in this case?

Thank you very much for your help!

Edited by The FH Project

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm not sure since we went through the K1 so we didn't have this issue, but we did register our marriage in Brasil. I remember that one of the things we had to do was to get a birth certificate of "segunda via". I believe that was the name. It was funny because my husband kept insisiting that there is no such thing, but when we went to the cartorio, sure enough they gave a "new" birth certificate. The difference is that the new one shows him as being married whereas the old one showed him as single. I would imagine that submitting the "new" birth certificate should be fine in your case. However, there are surely other people on VJ who have run into this and can advise you better. Good luck!

Edit: Does the marriage certificate look at all like the previous birth certificate?

Edited by menina
event.png

Timeline

Thank you so much for your reply! He just went to the cartorio today and got the 'new' birth certificate. They really do take away your original, but we could have asked for a 'new' one when they took the 'old' one away, but didn't understand that at the time. Just another kink in this process that makes me want to throw things!! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I was going to say get a new one but you beat me to it :)

Check out my timeline to see estimated wait times (or look at my signature).

The NVC is rather complicated. Follow this guide as it saved me big time: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Boa sorte!

Timeline

Thank you guys for the info. Answered my question before i even asked it.

I'm still waiting for my I-130 to be processed and lets just say... Things have already been thrown.

Timeline:

I-130 Sent: 11/11/2013

I-130 NOA1: 11/26/2013

I-130 RFE: 5/8/2014

Timeline

Thank you SofiaIsabella for the NVC process list link! I've made my own version of that but this one is great for reference too! I'm appalled by the hoops we have to jump through to bring our loved ones here. I will definitely be writing to my state representatives and the White House. This is just pure and utter bureaucratic nonsense!!

Melhor Gringo...good luck buddy - sorry to hear there are already problems!! It took exactly six months for my I-130 to get approved. I hope it's less time for you!

I called the NVC yesterday and they said that USCIS is taking 5-6 weeks to send over approved I-130s!!! Any idea why that may be and/or does anyone have experience with this?

There are so many more issues I could complain about here, but I'll save that for my letter to D.C. HAHAHAHA. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.