Mrnugyen

Can I fill out DS 160 on my fiancee's behalf?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Basically we're at the step where my fiance received her instructions form the Vietnam Consulate and now has to go online to fill out a DS 160. She has a laptop and internet access, only issue is she's never owned a laptop before LOL. She's very limited on her computer skills. she only knows how to really turn on the laptop and go to skype when we chat.

I've revied the online application and its way above her skills ability to complete accurately. From just navigating the site to uploading the visa photo (required by vietnam). Can I just fill out the application online for her? and then some the completed confirmation page to her via email to print? cause as far as I can see, the whole applciation is done online and she just has to print out the last page. Please any help or insight would be greatly apprecaited. We're so close but not sure what to do from this point. Thank you.

i filled out a ds 160 once before,as i can remember theres a question who filled out this form,but u have to go step by step to come to that so once u start u have to finish it,so u can do that,or she can have somebody come over and do it while you two are on skype since its all in english,if i was you i would first call the embesy in her country and ask,just to be sure,i am sure they had similar cases,good luck

Yes you can fill it out for her, but you will need some of her information (eg passport info, passport style photo to upload, etc) to complete it. On the last page before it submits ... it will ask if the beneficiary had any help filling out the form - it is here that you say yes and fill out your information.

The last thing is that even though someone else filled out the form, the beneficiary needs to be the one to press the final submit button to porcess the form. Some people on here stated that they filled it out themselves and submitted without any recourse - but me, personally, I wanted to be legal in doing so, so I filled it in for my fiance, then I sent her instructions about how to access the form (it can save your form), and I told her the information to type on the last page and then to press submit. Afterwards, she can print it out, or have it emailed to her for later printing ....

You can also access it later after it has been submitted and print or email the conf. page to yourself as well.

Jan 25, 2014: I-129F Sent

Feb 13, 2014: NOA1

Apr 15,2014: NOA2 Notice Via USCIS Web Site

Apr 22, 2014: NOA2 Received In Postal Mail

Apr 28: 2014: NVC Received

Apr 30: 2014: NVC Left

May 09, 2014: Embassy Received

Jul 08, 2014: Interview - Approved - CEAC Status Ready

Jul 14 2014: CEAC updated but still READY Status

Jul 16 2014: CEAC Status changed to Administrative Processing

Jul 22 2014: CEAC Status changed to Issued

Jul 28 2014: VISA received

Aug 06 2014: U.S. Arrival (Ft. Lauderdale POE)

Children (3 kids)

Apr 28 2015: Filed I130 petition for each child

Aug 21 2015: Notice from USCIS that all 3 petitions transferred to California Service Center

Sep 17 2015: Approval for all 3 petitions

Nov 12 2015: Paid one AOS fee for all 3 children

Nov 13 2015: Paid separate IV fees for all 3 children

Dec 04 2015: Filed Affidavit of Support (I864) for each child

Jan 12 2016: Received RFE for missing birth certificate from one of the kids packet

Jan 13 2016: Sent in RFE evidence ( birth certificate copy .... again O_o )

Jan 19 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Feb 22 2016: Called and found out another RFE was being sent out about birth certificate

Feb 24 2016: Sent in (inextensa versions, not de acta versions) of birth certificates for all children

Mar 02 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Mar 11 2016: NVC Process finished, now awaiting interview time slot to be scheduled

Mar 29 2016: Called NVC and found out today they scheduled interview

Apr 01 2016: Received Packet 4 notice via e-mail with interview date

Apr 25 2016: Children received P4 letters in the mail

May 19 2016: Interview

Jun 03 2016: Received Visas

Jul 06 2016: Travel to US

Yes you can do it

and then you have to put your name in the question where it asks "Did someone assist you while filling this form" and then below that you have to put Assister's name and sign it for her as well...

N-400, Naturalization Journey:

Filing date: April 11, 2018

Filing method: Online

NOA1 date: April 12, 2018

Biometrics date: April 25, 2018

Interview scheduled/rescheduled: Jan 11, 2019/Feb 13, 2019

Placed in line for Oath: Feb 15, 2019

Oath scheduled for: Mar 21, 2019

Journey of Removal of Conditions:

I-751 Petition for removal of conditions sent: Apr 12, 2017

USPS delivered package: Apr 13, 2017 

NOA1 received: Apr 21, 2017

Biometrics appointment received: May 6, 2017 for May 15, 2017

Biometrics early walk-in: May 11, 2017

New card is being produced: Feb 13, 2019 (right after N-400 interview)

New Card was Mailed and Received: Feb 15, 2019/Feb 21, 2019

I-129 filed : Jan 01,2014

K1 interview: Jun 29, 2014

POE : Aug 13, 2014 (seattle)

---------------------------------------

AOS, EAD & AP FILED: Aug 30, 2014

NOA1: Sept 02, 2014 (Hard copies Sept 23,2014)

Biometrics: Letter received on Sept 26, 2014 (appointment Oct 09) biometrics early walkin completed on sept 29, 2014

Card in production Oct 3, 2014 (EAD was approved in 34 days)

Card mailed to address  Oct 09, 2014

To be Delivered on Oct 11, 2014 but got forwarded since USCIS mailed it to my old address 

Sent back to sender by USPS Oct 11,2014

Received by USCIS Oct 24,2014

Status updated on USCIS website and called 1-800 number to update address Oct 25, 2014

EAD/Ap re-mailed Oct 27,2014 (but no tracking #)

FINALLY received EAD/AP Nov 3, 2014  (starting work this Monday)

Interview Waiver Letter Dec 18, 2014 (6months wait)

Never thought would do this but Sent EAD for renewal July 06, 2015

EAD/AP renewal received by USCIS and NOA 1 mailed July 07,2015

I-485: Case updated, Welcome Notice was mailed  (07/09/15) Took 6 months and 27 days from the date of NPIW and after 10 months and 2 days of NOA 1

Welcome Notice hard copy received in mail, GC should arrive in 3 weeks (07/13/15)<p>

I went green and received my Green Card on (07/29/15)

Timeline

Before I knew of Visa Journey, I already had a lawyer start the process for me. And yes, He filled in the DS-160 for us. She just needed a updated Passport photo which she got and emailed to him. My fiance is not great on the computer either, hates email!!! I don't quite know why she feels that way she uses Viber, Yahoo messenger and others. Go figure????

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Basically we're at the step where my fiance received her instructions form the Vietnam Consulate and now has to go online to fill out a DS 160. She has a laptop and internet access, only issue is she's never owned a laptop before LOL. She's very limited on her computer skills. she only knows how to really turn on the laptop and go to skype when we chat.

I've revied the online application and its way above her skills ability to complete accurately. From just navigating the site to uploading the visa photo (required by vietnam). Can I just fill out the application online for her? and then some the completed confirmation page to her via email to print? cause as far as I can see, the whole applciation is done online and she just has to print out the last page. Please any help or insight would be greatly apprecaited. We're so close but not sure what to do from this point. Thank you.

From the start page of the DS-160:

Other people can assist you with your visa application. Note that under U.S. law (22 C.F.R. 41.103) you must electronically sign and submit your own application unless you qualify for an exemption. Even if someone else helped you complete the application, you (the applicant) must click the “Sign Application” button, or your application may not be accepted.

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I just filled mine out today and I stopped at the point after they asked me to "sign" bc I really didn't know what to do but after reading this post I will finish it tomorrow. So just making sure I can sign it and print out copies to send to her

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can fill it out but she has to be the one to push the "File" button. You can save it then email her the file, then she can load it and push "File". I have heard of cases where the USC got away with pushing the "File" button but you are not supposed to, and if they detect it (IP address perhaps), you have problems.

If she is really all thumbs with the computer, you can use remote control software like Team Viewer to set it up for her and get the button ready to push, but she has to push it.

Timeline

I have a friend from NYC that recently moved to Vietnam to live with his wife. He does visa services for people coming to America for about 3 years already. Located in HCMC. Speaks vietnamese and english. He provides FREE consultation and paperwork for low rates. His contact info is below:

Michael Thiem, CPA

0969 879 629

MichaelT@vusvisa.com

www.vusvisa.com (currently work in progress)

Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.