MyHeartWillGoOn93

My AOS interview experience - adjustment from VWP

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share my interview experience with you all to ease your minds and let you know what to somewhat expect.

Yesterday, I had my AOS interview. I came here in August under the VWP. I originally planned to stay here for a week, and then decided to get married, as a lot of you on here did too. My husband and I met online and this was our first time meeting! Our interview was scheduled for 8:00 AM in Boston at the JFK building. We arrived there around 15 minutes before our interview, it was very easy to find, and we had to go through security which only took about a minute - no problems. Then we went to the reception and gave in our interview notice and the lady was nice and told us to take a seat. Now here is a funny story! A woman started calling out a few names and told them to follow her in to another room (I later found out they were all there for naturalization). My husband and I could have sworn that the lady called out my maiden name and something that sounded like my first name so we followed her. My maiden name is two words and the last word is what she called out - it's a very unusual surname. Then about 10 minutes later, a man called out that same woman's name and that's when we realized we were in the wrong room so we went back and explained to the receptionist what had happened hahaha! She was nice and checked that we hadn't been called out yet, which we hadn't, so she told us again to take a seat. This was at 8:00 AM promptly.

Then about 5 minutes later, a man opened the door and came up to us and said our names (I guess he knew our faces because he had our photos) and wanted to interview my husband first. His interview lasted about 30 minutes and then they both came back in to the reception and my husband was smiling so I could tell that the officer had been nice to him and that everything was going to be fine. So then I went with the officer and when I went in to his room, he told me to stand up with my right hand up and swear on the oath which I did. When I sat down, he had a few photos of us that we brought with us on the table, the first photo being of us with our cat which he mentioned and I laughed. Then he started asking me if I was born in England, did I go to school there (and mentioned that my parents were both teachers from my birth certificate) and what did I study there, so I told him I did my A-levels in English Literature, Maths and French and he said "oh yes, (husband's name) told me that you like Shakespeare" and during the interview, he would talk to me about Shakespeare and how he likes Shakespeare lol! He showed me a photo we took in of us two with his nephew and asked who the boy was - I guess to see if our answers matched up, which they did, and he asked me where my sister-in-law (his nephew's mother) lived so I told him and he smiled because our answers matched up. Then he joked about how I must be familiar with English names in New England! Then he asked us how we met and I explained that we met online on a live-streaming website and used Skype too. Then he asked how we decided to meet in person so I told him it was easier for me to go over there seeing as I had a passport and I love America and then I explained, even though he didn't ask, that I originally came here for 8 days but we decided to stay and get married and we both laughed. He asked me how my family felt about it so I told him the truth; that there were ups and downs and I still don't really talk to much of my family but I email my mother and she was worried at first but now she is okay. Somehow he knew my parents were divorced and said it must have been a painful experience for me. He was a very sympathetic guy. Then he went through the questions on the I-485 form, which I all said "no" to. He asked if I've ever been fingerprinted by the police before which I have, not because of a crime, but because I had to do so in order to apply for an Iranian passport (my father is Iranian), so I mentioned this to him. He asked if I have an Iranian passport so I said I think it's expired now but it's in England and he asked me what the purpose for my visit in Iran was and I said just to see family and the country. He was typing stuff in to his computer at this point and then he stamped "APPROVED" on my paperwork and said I will be getting a welcome letter in the mail within two weeks and my GC within a month! I thanked him. He told me that my husband and I seem like a great couple and we had a quick romance haha! Then he followed me back to the reception and told my husband to make sure my name is on the mailbox for when I receive my green card, I guess so that they know for sure that I live there? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm so happy we had him as an officer! I wish I could have thanked him more for his kindness. My husband and I left and we were hugging each other and he had tears in his eyes because he was so happy hehe :) my interview lasted around 20 minutes or so.

11/08/2012 - Became a couple online smile.png

08/21/2013 - I flew over from England to Boston to meet him smile.pngwub.png

08/29/2013 - I was due to go back home but decided to stay a little longer

09/20/2013 - We decided to get married smile.pngheart.gif

10/22/2013 - We got married!!!

12/13/2013 - Day 0 - Sent off I-130 and I-485 and I-765 to Chicago

12/16/2013 - Day 3 - AOS Packet arrived in Chicago according to USPS

12/20/2013 - Day 7 - Received e-notification to say case has been accepted and processing at the USCIS National Benefits Center.

12/24/2013 - Day 11 - Received official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) in the mail.

12/31/2013 - Day 18 - Received letter for biometrics appointment on January 23rd.

01/13/2014 - Day 31 - Received RFE for form I-864

01/23/2014 - Day 41 - Biometrics done!

03/04/2014 - Day 81 - RFE response sent!

03/06/2014 - Day 83 - RFE response arrived there!

03/20/2014 - Day 97 - EAD card in production!

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - EAD card mailed out!

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - EAD card in USPS possession and given tracking number

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - Green card interview being scheduled! :D

03/30/2014 - Day 107 - USCIS mailed out our interview notice, scheduled for May 6th!

03/31/2014 - Day 108 - Received I-765 EAD work permit in the mail!

04/01/2014 - Day 109 - Received appointment for GC

05/06/2014 - Day 145 - GC interview approved!!!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations!

What a very pleasant experience, enjoyed reading it.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Awww, thanks! :) Just in case anybody was wondering, the guy was asking my husband a lot of questions about his job as he was curious if that's how we met (as my husband deals with customers online) and also asked if I had a bank account here which I don't yet because I don't have an SSN and my husband explained that he applied for a bank account and that he's going to put my name on it when I get an SSN. The guy then just asked to see our photos and that was all, really. My husband showed him his recent pay stub but the guy had everything on file already :)

11/08/2012 - Became a couple online smile.png

08/21/2013 - I flew over from England to Boston to meet him smile.pngwub.png

08/29/2013 - I was due to go back home but decided to stay a little longer

09/20/2013 - We decided to get married smile.pngheart.gif

10/22/2013 - We got married!!!

12/13/2013 - Day 0 - Sent off I-130 and I-485 and I-765 to Chicago

12/16/2013 - Day 3 - AOS Packet arrived in Chicago according to USPS

12/20/2013 - Day 7 - Received e-notification to say case has been accepted and processing at the USCIS National Benefits Center.

12/24/2013 - Day 11 - Received official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) in the mail.

12/31/2013 - Day 18 - Received letter for biometrics appointment on January 23rd.

01/13/2014 - Day 31 - Received RFE for form I-864

01/23/2014 - Day 41 - Biometrics done!

03/04/2014 - Day 81 - RFE response sent!

03/06/2014 - Day 83 - RFE response arrived there!

03/20/2014 - Day 97 - EAD card in production!

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - EAD card mailed out!

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - EAD card in USPS possession and given tracking number

03/26/2014 - Day 103 - Green card interview being scheduled! :D

03/30/2014 - Day 107 - USCIS mailed out our interview notice, scheduled for May 6th!

03/31/2014 - Day 108 - Received I-765 EAD work permit in the mail!

04/01/2014 - Day 109 - Received appointment for GC

05/06/2014 - Day 145 - GC interview approved!!!

Congrats! ??

AOS from VWP

17 March packet mailed (day 0)

21 March Priority Date (day 4)

27 March text/email NOAs received (day 10)

31 March hard copy NOAs received (day 14)

7 April Biometrics letter received for appt on April 28 (day 21)

11 April successful biometrics walk in (day 25)

29 April Testing and Interview ? (day 43)

8 May Date on NOA of interview schedule (day 52)

12 May received hard copy NOA of interview scheduled 16 June! (day 56) :dancing:

27 May email received stating EAD card is in production and my AP has been approved (day 71)

30 May email received stating EAD has been shipped, should arrive Monday! (Day 74)

2 June received EAD in the mail (day 77)

16 June INTERVIEW :dancing: APPROVED!!!! (day 91!!!!)

20 June email received stating Green Card picked up by USPS due to be delivered on Monday 23rd!!!

23 June my green card arrived :dance:

Total time from packet mailed to Green Card received 98 days!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from WST-based AOS to WST-based AOS Progress Forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you for sharing your experience with us :)

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share my interview experience with you all to ease your minds and let you know what to somewhat expect.

Yesterday, I had my AOS interview. I came here in August under the VWP. I originally planned to stay here for a week, and then decided to get married, as a lot of you on here did too. My husband and I met online and this was our first time meeting! Our interview was scheduled for 8:00 AM in Boston at the JFK building. We arrived there around 15 minutes before our interview, it was very easy to find, and we had to go through security which only took about a minute - no problems. Then we went to the reception and gave in our interview notice and the lady was nice and told us to take a seat. Now here is a funny story! A woman started calling out a few names and told them to follow her in to another room (I later found out they were all there for naturalization). My husband and I could have sworn that the lady called out my maiden name and something that sounded like my first name so we followed her. My maiden name is two words and the last word is what she called out - it's a very unusual surname. Then about 10 minutes later, a man called out that same woman's name and that's when we realized we were in the wrong room so we went back and explained to the receptionist what had happened hahaha! She was nice and checked that we hadn't been called out yet, which we hadn't, so she told us again to take a seat. This was at 8:00 AM promptly.

Then about 5 minutes later, a man opened the door and came up to us and said our names (I guess he knew our faces because he had our photos) and wanted to interview my husband first. His interview lasted about 30 minutes and then they both came back in to the reception and my husband was smiling so I could tell that the officer had been nice to him and that everything was going to be fine. So then I went with the officer and when I went in to his room, he told me to stand up with my right hand up and swear on the oath which I did. When I sat down, he had a few photos of us that we brought with us on the table, the first photo being of us with our cat which he mentioned and I laughed. Then he started asking me if I was born in England, did I go to school there (and mentioned that my parents were both teachers from my birth certificate) and what did I study there, so I told him I did my A-levels in English Literature, Maths and French and he said "oh yes, (husband's name) told me that you like Shakespeare" and during the interview, he would talk to me about Shakespeare and how he likes Shakespeare lol! He showed me a photo we took in of us two with his nephew and asked who the boy was - I guess to see if our answers matched up, which they did, and he asked me where my sister-in-law (his nephew's mother) lived so I told him and he smiled because our answers matched up. Then he joked about how I must be familiar with English names in New England! Then he asked us how we met and I explained that we met online on a live-streaming website and used Skype too. Then he asked how we decided to meet in person so I told him it was easier for me to go over there seeing as I had a passport and I love America and then I explained, even though he didn't ask, that I originally came here for 8 days but we decided to stay and get married and we both laughed. He asked me how my family felt about it so I told him the truth; that there were ups and downs and I still don't really talk to much of my family but I email my mother and she was worried at first but now she is okay. Somehow he knew my parents were divorced and said it must have been a painful experience for me. He was a very sympathetic guy. Then he went through the questions on the I-485 form, which I all said "no" to. He asked if I've ever been fingerprinted by the police before which I have, not because of a crime, but because I had to do so in order to apply for an Iranian passport (my father is Iranian), so I mentioned this to him. He asked if I have an Iranian passport so I said I think it's expired now but it's in England and he asked me what the purpose for my visit in Iran was and I said just to see family and the country. He was typing stuff in to his computer at this point and then he stamped "APPROVED" on my paperwork and said I will be getting a welcome letter in the mail within two weeks and my GC within a month! I thanked him. He told me that my husband and I seem like a great couple and we had a quick romance haha! Then he followed me back to the reception and told my husband to make sure my name is on the mailbox for when I receive my green card, I guess so that they know for sure that I live there? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm so happy we had him as an officer! I wish I could have thanked him more for his kindness. My husband and I left and we were hugging each other and he had tears in his eyes because he was so happy hehe :) my interview lasted around 20 minutes or so.

02/24/2014 Mailed OAS package Via UPS overnight

02//25/2014 received and signed at 08/:30 Am...

03/04/2014 Received text and email my applications were accepted smile.png

03/10/2014 Received appointment letter for Biometrics

03/11/2014 Successful early walk in (San Francisco office)

03/25/2014 text & email I-485 Testing & Interview

04/09/2014 email with interview date 05/13/2014

05/01/2014 i765 APPROVED! case status changed to "card production

05/07/2014 Received my EAD card

05/13/2014 INTERVIEW!!!

05/16/2014 Received email Card in production YAY!!!

Praying and waiting goofy.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.