doodle

Considering move to Chapel Hill/Raleigh

29 posts in this topic

We are currently living on Martha's Vineyard which is obviously not working for us. We have done extensive research and without being too far from the northeast (most of our families live there) we have thought that Chapel Hill/Raleigh area would be a good place to start.

Anyone live there or have input?

Housing costs are reasonable...especially when you compare where we are coming from.

Jobs are plentiful

Wages seem right in our expectations

Beach isn't too far away (important to us as we are living on an island right now)

What do you think? I'll take all feedback, positive and negative, the more the merrier... :help:

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I went to college in the Triangle area and I thought it was a pretty nice place to live (even though I was in Durham, which is definitely not as nice as Chapel Hill or Raleigh). There were some adjustments for me, having lived around Boston my whole life. But if you're at all worried about it being too "southern" for a NE girl, I'd say that it's not really a concern. There are tons of transplants down there.

Good luck in your decision!

P.S. Never really went to the beach though. It's really kind of a hike.

Filed: Timeline
We are currently living on Martha's Vineyard which is obviously not working for us. We have done extensive research and without being too far from the northeast (most of our families live there) we have thought that Chapel Hill/Raleigh area would be a good place to start.

Housing costs are reasonable...especially when you compare where we are coming from.

Jobs are plentiful

Beach isn't too far away (important to us as we are living on an island right now)

What do you think? I'll take all feedback, positive and negative, the more the merrier... :help:

Hi,

My boyfriend lives in Chapel Hill. I've been there 3 times to see him and I really like it. The people are really friendly, it's cute and not too far from Raleigh/Durham. I like that it's a progressive little pocket in the south. Buses are free!!! What I don't like about it though is that you have to drive/take the bus to get everywhere...which I guess is not unusual for a small town/city. Also, coming from Canada, I don't mind the weather at ALL!!!! It doesn't ever seem to get really cold.

When I do eventually move to America to be with him I will be settling in Chapel Hill too. He tells me it's not hard to find a job there and because it's so close to Raleigh/Durham you can always commute from Chapel Hill if your work is in those areas. Also, a new facility is being built by UNC which he tells me will increase the property value of homes there. Something to keep in mind. Good luck, whatever you decide! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Jobs are plentiful

COME ON OVER!! :devil: I LOVE it here.. I actually live in south Durham - very close to Chapelhill.. it's a collage town (both Chapel hill and Durham but it seems like more going on in Chapel hill.. It's very diverse too :)

The houseing is not very expensive.. My husband is a realtor and if you want to talk to him just PM me :) HE can give you a very good advice on housing and area

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I live in Raleigh. I was also born and raised in this area. I have traveled extensively and love coming back here. Feel free to email me if you have questions. I would stay away from Durham if it were me.

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I live in Raleigh. I was also born and raised in this area. I have traveled extensively and love coming back here. Feel free to email me if you have questions. I would stay away from Durham if it were me.

Good luck.

The south durham part - hope vally area, wood croft, south square and south point are very nice.. growing very fast too... :)

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I lived in Durham (worked at Duke) for 2 years a while back and really liked CH. There's lots of jobs there in several fields, the winters aren't that bad, the summers are good, the air seems fresh and clean, the people are really pretty friendly for the most part.

Virgina Beach is 3 hours away but you can get to the Outer Banks in around 2 if I remember right.

Sometimes I really miss it.

I think CH still has the most millionares per capita of any city in America??

Homes in the area seemed afforable to me (but that was a few years ago) and the "county" is just a short drive away from the "city". 15 min's drive South and you're kind of out there.

Our Visa Journey

07/29/07 ---- Mailed I-129F

08/25/07 --- Check finally cashed (8/27 I should be able to see the R number on the back).

08/27/07 --- NOA1 Arrives from CSC and I create my account profile on the USCIS.Gov web-site (the clock starts)!!!

02/05/08 --- After 191 days NOA2 (Approval) comes at last!!!!

2/14/08 --- NVC sends letter saying that it's on the way to the US Embassy in Bangkok

2/25/08 --- She receives Packet 3 from the Embassy

3/29/08 --- She receives Packet 4 with interview date (July 11th).

3/30/08 --- I e-mail the Embassy asking to make the date earlier because I've already got our tickets for June 13th!!!

5/6/08 --- No help from the Embassy. Rebooked tickets and vacation till September.

5/21/08 --- Embassy calls her and moves interview to May 27th!!!!! You have got to be kidding me!!!

9/21/08 --- POE San Francisco!!!!

12/8/08 --- Married!!!!

12/15/08 --- Mail AOS + AP + EAD package to Chicago

12/28/08 --- Come back from vacation and find AOS/AP/EAD NOA 1 and Bio App notices in the mailbox!!!

1/13/09 --- Bio Appt

4/22/09 --- AOS Interview "APPROVED"!!!

3/04/2011 --- OUR BABY IS BORN... We have a son!!!!!

3/10/2011 --- Mail I-751 application to lift conditions on residency

3/12/2011 --- I-751 Package received by CSC

3/14/2011 --- NOA 1

3/21/2011 --- NOA 2 (Biometrics Appt 4/18/2011)

5/27/2011 --- ROC Approved. 10 Year Green Card arrived 6/04/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I went to school in NC for a while and I am from California. I only lasted 6 months. I had an extremely racist roomate and just couldn't believe that racism was still that rampant in the US (clearly I was naive). I'm not saying everyone is racist but I ran into some people with very differing views from my own. It is the Bible belt.

It's beautiful and you're right the houses are not too expensive and they are nice. The neighborhoods are great, there's tons of shopping, restaurants. I just couldn't handle the culture shock personally.

Good luck!

Edited by sarah and hicham

doodle,

I-40 can be a pleasant place to spend an evening ......

Yodrak

Jobs are plentiful

What do you think? I'll take all feedback, positive and negative, the more the merrier...

yodrak...where would you suggest going?

being in an interracial marriage the racial concerns are there. I think that is why we were more drawn to chapel hill. Found a nice townhome there for 158K and almost new. People were a bit warmer. Anyone else have input on this issue?

I'm looking for jobs right now and we are going to be adventurous and move down around the first of February. We would like to buy sooner than later but I guess we will need to get a shorter term rental whil we figure it all out.

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Found a nice townhome there for 158K and almost new.

You can get brand new townhomes in Apex (also a nice town, same area) for closer to 100-120. That town is very diverse and professional! Don't overpay if you don't have to. For 158k you can get a nice SFH in Holly Springs.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My old neighbors just moved to Cary and paid about 450K for an 8 bedroom brand new home on 5 acres. It's a nice area too I think.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.