meblue

Citizenship for my daughter

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just became a US citizen. I got a minor daughter. I read in the Child Citizenship Act that a minor child will be automatically a citizen when a parent become a citizen. I have some questions:

1. But my minor daughter got a 2 yrs conditional green card. Is she still eligible for citizenship according to the Child Citizenship Act?

2. I read that some just apply for a US passport because N-600 cost more. Do I have to remove the condition of her conditional green card first before applying for a US passport?

3. Having a US passport is enough proof of my daughter's US Citizenship?

5. Having a US passport will make USCIS update their record and put him as a US citizen?

I really appreciate any help and advice. Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

1) doesn't matter, she is a resident. So yes sure she is a citizen now.

2) no you don't have to remove the conditions, You can just apply for the passport. You will have to send the card with the application.

3) yes it's enough.

4) USCIS unfortunately won't update their record until you apply for n600. You can do that whenever you want to, near future or way later (even after she turns 18).

Most people apply for the n600 do later if the passport of the kid is lost they can find the certificate as a back up.

Good luck and congrats.

Edited by silkafi88

Timeline

4) USCIS unfortunately won't update their record until you apply for n600. You can do that whenever you want to, near future or way later (even after she turns 18).

Most people apply for the n600 do later if the passport of the kid is lost they can find the certificate as a back up.

Thanks for the quick reply. But I got a letter from USCIS that I need to remove the condition on my daughter"s conditional green card. If I won't, the USCIS will start the Removal proceeding. I understand that a US passport will prove her US citizenship. But I am concern that the USCIS will do the Removal proceeding if I won't remove her condition or file a .N-600.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply. But I got a letter from USCIS that I need to remove the condition on my daughter"s conditional green card. If I won't, the USCIS will start the Removal proceeding. I understand that a US passport will prove her US citizenship. But I am concern that the USCIS will do the Removal proceeding if I won't remove her condition or file a .N-600.

USCIS can't remove a citizen. The day you became a citizen, your daughter became a citizen. That green card became invalid the day you became a citizen. So there is nothing to worry about.

Timeline

USCIS can't remove a citizen. The day you became a citizen, your daughter became a citizen. That green card became invalid the day you became a citizen. So there is nothing to worry about.

Thank you so much for the quick reply and good advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.