GoChicago

DCF in New Delhi / Mumbai India

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

@ash20

Its past April 15 tax deadline, so ideally you should have all 2013 papers. Maybe sponsor asked for an extension and haven't filed return yet, but still they could provide the payslips. You don't need originals, they can fax or email the latest docs and should be ok. As such payslips these days are online. Worst case, if you don't bring these latest docs, they may give you a 221g slip and ask to send the documents via courier once you have them, which could delay your Visa by up to a month.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks again for replying.. Now the thing is I'll get the recent docs of 2013 through mail from my joint sponsor but in the AOS its the 2012 details which are mentioned as they filled it in March end so would that work? They can't send me a new AOS now we have our interview on less then a week time

Timeline

Thanks again for replying.. Now the thing is I'll get the recent docs of 2013 through mail from my joint sponsor but in the AOS its the 2012 details which are mentioned as they filled it in March end so would that work? They can't send me a new AOS now we have our interview on less then a week time

No Problem, happy to help. Just have them email (soft copies instead of scans wherever possible, scans only where softcopy not possible) and take it with you to the interview. Unlike India where everything needs to be attested and original, US financial/legal systems often run on trust and have big penalties for lying, so copies are generally OK for everything. The govt knows that if you lie, they can always fine you heavily later.

If the CO raises doubts about not having this year's documents, you have something to give her instead of going empty handed. It's always better to take whatever you have even if its a photocopy or slightly outside what is asked. Beats having to send stuff later and follow up. The interaction is largely informal and there is room to provide additional documents and CO allows you to explain you case. It is not a 1-min rush interview like visitor visa.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

@go Chicago- Need your help.. I had my interview yesterday and I was given the 221G white slip as I had no document to prove her my wife domicile in States.. They wanted a proof of her reestablishment in US..She has been living in india since last 6 years .I did show her a airticket of US but that didn't convince the VO..My wife is planning to work with her sis who is a dentist as some admin jobs till she gets a job in her field of IT So can we take the offer letter from her sister showing that she will be working with her once she goes there.. Her salary won't be much though so does that prove as a domicile document??

Thanks in advance

No Problem, happy to help. Just have them email (soft copies instead of scans wherever possible, scans only where softcopy not possible) and take it with you to the interview. Unlike India where everything needs to be attested and original, US financial/legal systems often run on trust and have big penalties for lying, so copies are generally OK for everything. The govt knows that if you lie, they can always fine you heavily later.

If the CO raises doubts about not having this year's documents, you have something to give her instead of going empty handed. It's always better to take whatever you have even if its a photocopy or slightly outside what is asked. Beats having to send stuff later and follow up. The interaction is largely informal and there is room to provide additional documents and CO allows you to explain you case. It is not a 1-min rush interview like visitor visa.

Timeline

@ash20

Sorry to hear that.

Income and domicile are two separate things so it's OK even if she doesn't earn anything as sister is the sponsor for income purposes.

To establish domicile, your wife needs to open bank accounts, credit cards, buy a car, sign a lease etc. So if she has any of that you can take it with you. Maybe the offer from her sister may help, but I am not sure. It may seem that you have just done it to convince CO. if there are other partners in the dentistry and they all sign the offer then it will seem genuine. Other option is for her to go there.. Do all the things (I was able to open bank account, buy a car and sign a lease for apartment all on the same day!) And send you the proofs. You can then go with confidence and get your visa. You have up to 1 year I think to prove it, but you should be able to do this easily and quickly.

Timeline

Thank you for all your help till now.. Thing is she will be leaving in mid of august and I was planning to go in November so if I wait for her to go to US and then send me the proof of her domicile then u never know when will I get the visa as these administrative processing can take upto months as have read here on VJ..So that's why I was thinking if her sis can send a offer letter.. I can get a offer letter from some small IT company as well but I am worried that if they did some investigation and found my wife has never joined the company only so that could go against me in big way So that's why am inclined towards getting a offer letter from my sis in law.. At least it won't be a fraud.. What do u suggest?

@ash20

Sorry to hear that.

Income and domicile are two separate things so it's OK even if she doesn't earn anything as sister is the sponsor for income purposes.

To establish domicile, your wife needs to open bank accounts, credit cards, buy a car, sign a lease etc. So if she has any of that you can take it with you. Maybe the offer from her sister may help, but I am not sure. It may seem that you have just done it to convince CO. if there are other partners in the dentistry and they all sign the offer then it will seem genuine. Other option is for her to go there.. Do all the things (I was able to open bank account, buy a car and sign a lease for apartment all on the same day!) And send you the proofs. You can then go with confidence and get your visa. You have up to 1 year I think to prove it, but you should be able to do this easily and quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, we got through the delhi interview pretty smoothly and now preparing for mumbai (PCC, medical, DS260) we are stuck on affidavit of support part, I'll be very thankful if someone can guide me.

Background : I'm a US citizen, filing for my indian husband. We filed for DCF and received the letter to schedule mumbai interview after collecting everything.

I'm a student in India and I've been here continuously since last 3 years.. Obviously I am not earning anything yet and both my parents had come to India after selling our property in the USA. They just went back to USA right now but they dont have a house/job yet... My paternal uncle will be sponsoring my husband so I've asked him to fill up the form I864 as the sole joint sponsor. The problem is we'll be staying with him for first few weeks, so I'm not sure if we are counted as the same household (with the uncle) and whether he can be a joint sponsor or not.

My other issue is proving my domicile in the USA. I just have a US credit card, driver's license, proofs of me being a student here. We are planning on booking our tickets in advance like gochicago and producing them in the interview. Will these be sufficient or we may have some trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Timeline
My paternal uncle will be sponsoring my husband so I've asked him to fill up the form I864 as the sole joint sponsor. The problem is we'll be staying with him for first few weeks, so I'm not sure if we are counted as the same household (with the uncle) and whether he can be a joint sponsor or not.

If you plan to stay in the same house, he can be a household sponsor. If you plan to live separately, he needs to be a joint sponsor. Either way he can sponsor you. It depends on what you have filled in your forms. If you provided his address as your US address, you may be able to add him as a household sponsor (I-864A). If not, you need a separate I-864 from him. It is probably wrong to add him as household sponsor if you do not a have a long term intention to reside with him. I believe the total income he needs to earn is a bit less if he is a household sponsor than if he's a joint sponsor.

My other issue is proving my domicile in the USA. I just have a US credit card, driver's license, proofs of me being a student here. We are planning on booking our tickets in advance like gochicago and producing them in the interview. Will these be sufficient or we may have some trouble?

There are two ways to argue this- one is to say that your domicile abroad was temporary. In this case, you can show what you already have, along with proof of maintaing a mailing address in the US, where you received mail at least every few months during your stay abroad. Further, if you came to India a short time before your course started, and are leaving shortly after, that may suffice as well.

The other option is to accept that you have not maintained a domicile in the US, but intend to reestablish one. This requires taking new steps. This can include transferring money to the US, opening bank / CC accounts, looking for (even better, securing) a job in the US etc.

If you can open a new credit card, new bank account online (you should be able to, since you already have a credit card and a license), that would help. Proofs of discussions (email printouts) with recruiters, if you will be looking for a job, can also help.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your help gochicago.

We are now done with finger printing and tomorrow is our cr1 interview at Mumbai.

My question is whether the petitioner is allowed to be present with the beneficiary at the interview. And if yes, then what can we do about our bags because we would have checked out of our hotel.

Timeline

whether the petitioner is allowed to be present with the beneficiary at the interview

No, Mumbai does not allow anyone other than beneficiary to be present for the interview. Delhi however, does allow the petitioner to be present.

Thank you for your help gochicago.

We are now done with finger printing and tomorrow is our cr1 interview at Mumbai.

My question is whether the petitioner is allowed to be present with the beneficiary at the interview. And if yes, then what can we do about our bags because we would have checked out of our hotel.

Timeline

So should I stay at the hotel as I am the petitioner? How did you manage when you had gone with your spouse for the Mumbai interview?

If you checked out, I don't know how you could still stay at the hotel, but perhaps you can still keep your bags in their cloakroom. My wife's interview was scheduled at 7:30 AM and she was out by 9:15 AM. It might not be that quick for every case. My family and I just waited nearby for a while.

Timeline

I guess I can check out late if that's the case. My husband who is the beneficiary would have to go alone. Is that correct?

Correct, only your husband will be allowed to enter the building.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.