GoChicago

DCF in New Delhi / Mumbai India

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

hi,

When I asked for A# for the I130 approved for my wife from Delhi USCIS I got following reply.

Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Please be advised that the case numbers are and will be allotted by Consular Section, Department of State, Mumbai , starting with “BMB”.

Sincerely,

DHS/USCIS

New Delhi

INDIA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I am pretty sure USCIS didn't put down your email address (just think if you have not written it on your I-130 (of course, there was no field for email on the form), and Delhi didn't take it down either, how will Mumbai email you if they dont have your email?)

I guess your best bet then is to try ustraveldocs or MumbaiIV emails. Tell them that Delhi did not take down your email address and see if they can look it (Case number) up for you. You will still need the letter/email for the medical though.

I got the letter by India Post also about 2 weeks after the email. Letter was identical to email, no way to tell the difference after printing. They may mail it to any of the addresses on your wife's passport, I-130, or G-325A. Based on the address on the letter I got, it was sent to the address exactly as written on the last page of my wife's Indian passport. The addresses on I-130 and G-325A were slightly different, so that's how I know.

So in your case, identify these addresses, and check the letter boxes or postmen associated with them. Remember they do not use registered post or any other trackable means, so it is very easy for the letter to be undelivered.

Timeline

my friend, I feel more than USCIS Delhi, Mumbai US consulate is faster in responding.

I wrote them email with what you gave me morning, requesting to communicate further to my email id and just now got reply with all instructions and case number.

So I will go through them and ask you if any questions in relate to medical test and other details.

By the way just today I got the PCC done also.

Thanks for all your help!

Timeline

Dear Friend,

From your statement on medical check-up

"On reaching the clinic, at about 11 AM, my wife was asked for her passport, 2 photographs (US PP Size), interview letter (the email from the consulate), and medical reports. For medical reports, we had just taken a certificate from her doctor on his prescription pad stating the types and dates of her vaccinations. It is important to have stated on the records whether or not you have had Varicella (Chicken Pox)."

Do you mean we should carry a medical report when we go for medical test to one of the consulate approved panel of doctors?

How did your wife's doctor gave the list of vaccinations and its date?

did he gave those vaccinations to your wife now before going to medical test?

Timeline

On any physicians letterhead, get a list of the vaccines given along with dates when given. Some of them include:

BCG

DPT

Polio

Measels

MMR

Typhoid

Cholera

Varicella (or varicella history)

Dont take any vaccines from your doctor. The medical place has very reasonable rates prescribed by the consulate. Most likely will have to take 4 shots.

See the age-wise vaccination requirements table on this page:

http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/vaccination-panel-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

Quick question guys. My USC wife and I are planning to file my i-130 at the New Delhi consulate. She has an OCI and been in India for a month. Most of my research points out that to prove residence before DCF, it's advisable to be living, in this case India, for at least six months. Is this true? So should we wait till she's been here for six months to file?

Edited by nycbom

Timeline

Quick question guys. My USC wife and I are planning to file my i-130 at the New Delhi consulate. She has an OCI and been in India for a month. Most of my research points out that to prove residence before DCF, it's advisable to be living, in this case India, for at least six months. Is this true? So should we wait till she's been here for six months to file?

Yes, definitely. I was resident (OCI) for several years, first as a student and then while working, on the date of filing. I had taken proof of residency for over a year (FY 2012-13 Indian tax return, salary slips). The lady asked me for the return for the year prior to that (FY 2011-12), which I did not have as I was a student. She then asked me to submit my transcripts and degree certificates to prove that I was resident for two years.

She said a lot of people are trying to game the system and save time by becoming resident for a short period of time and then filing from India. London clearly states the requirement as 6 months but Delhi has not mentioned the time (see the Evidence of Residence section). She also mentioned that "At USCIS Delhi we are mainly concerned about YOU (USC) and your eligibility to file. The consular section (Dept. of State) will evaluate your beneficiary (Indian spouse) later at the time of the visa interview."

Best to email the Delhi office and ask. Given your case, it may be better to file for I-130 + K3 visa at the USCIS lockbox in Chicago as you would be waiting for 5 months anyway, just to chance, and Delhi may still say wait for more time. I have read a couple of cases where they filed in Chicago and it was approved in a couple of months, without them even asking for any expedite. It's here somewhere on VJ.

Timeline

@nycbom,

It is right that at least 6 months of stay will prove the US citizen to consider India as primary residence but that is not a must.

As long as you can prove the intention is to stay here for long time then for sure you can file the I-130 at Delhi and they will accept it.

Can your wife prove that her job is transferred to India for long duration like say letter from her employer?

Has she brought a home? or leased a house? any other records showing her intention to stay in India for long time?

if these records if you carry USCIS may consider accepting the petition.

But again it has to be genuine case.

Timeline

@goChicago,

My friend, I tried to setup an appointment(https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/ApplicantHome)%C2'>

It allows to choose one appointment date and that's it. It shows this is your appointment date and further details.

What about second day appointment? how we can choose or will they let us know on first day OFC what is second day appointment?

Please advise.

Timeline

First, you need to make sure that you chose the right category. You need to choose the correct category that says you need to book both OFC and Visa appointment. Once the correct category is selected, you will first have the option to select the interview appointment. Once that is selected, you will then get the opportunity to choose a date for OFC appointment, up to one day before the visa appointment.

Timeline

My friend, yes you are right. even customer support suggested me from US consulate mumbai to choose option 3 where before I choose 1.

Now the right choice NO.3 " Visa Application Center AND Consulate/ Embassy Appointments" when I choose it says "There are currently no appointments available"

did you face this problem while choosing the appointment date?

IS this normal? how long it will take to open the appointment dates again?

Yes, definitely. I was resident (OCI) for several years, first as a student and then while working, on the date of filing. I had taken proof of residency for over a year (FY 2012-13 Indian tax return, salary slips). The lady asked me for the return for the year prior to that (FY 2011-12), which I did not have as I was a student. She then asked me to submit my transcripts and degree certificates to prove that I was resident for two years.

She said a lot of people are trying to game the system and save time by becoming resident for a short period of time and then filing from India. London clearly states the requirement as 6 months but Delhi has not mentioned the time (see the Evidence of Residence section). She also mentioned that "At USCIS Delhi we are mainly concerned about YOU (USC) and your eligibility to file. The consular section (Dept. of State) will evaluate your beneficiary (Indian spouse) later at the time of the visa interview."

Best to email the Delhi office and ask. Given your case, it may be better to file for I-130 + K3 visa at the USCIS lockbox in Chicago as you would be waiting for 5 months anyway, just to chance, and Delhi may still say wait for more time. I have read a couple of cases where they filed in Chicago and it was approved in a couple of months, without them even asking for any expedite. It's here somewhere on VJ.

@nycbom,

It is right that at least 6 months of stay will prove the US citizen to consider India as primary residence but that is not a must.

As long as you can prove the intention is to stay here for long time then for sure you can file the I-130 at Delhi and they will accept it.

Can your wife prove that her job is transferred to India for long duration like say letter from her employer?

Has she brought a home? or leased a house? any other records showing her intention to stay in India for long time?

if these records if you carry USCIS may consider accepting the petition.

But again it has to be genuine case.

Thanks for the reply guys. I've been looking high and dry for the residency requirements but absolutely no luck! Your info does help but I'm a little concerned because my USC wife has moved here and will be a housewife. Therefore, even after five more months, when she's been in Mumbai for six months, we won't be able to prove that she's earning any income.

We're also in the process of launching a e-commerce startup jointly, and I don't forsee generating any income for at least a year. I contacted the New Delhi Embassy and all they said was they don't have any particular amount of minimum stay in India that is required to prove residency here. What do you guys reckon?

Timeline

@nycborn:

You don't need to show income. If you have utilities, lease agreements, vehicles, bank accounts (with regular in-person transactions like ATM withdrawals and deposits) in her name, all that will qualify towards establishing the residency proof.

As for the time, that is up to you how long you want to wait before taking the step. I recommend at least six months.

Timeline

@nycborn,

If you can prove your wife is house wife and documents on her name that she resides here and she has OCI or PIO to stay in India.

you should able to file.

Even one of my friend 3 years back filed within 3 months of his stay here as he came to setup the business in India and he married here. He had sufficient proof that he is making India as his residence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.