srvman

Anyone get a drivers licence recently on K1 (Before AOS)?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are driving down to Vegas from Montana, and I will be driving for a fair bit of it.

I have a montana drivers licence, but it has expired (only by a month or so).

Any suggestions or experience from others who have recently either obtained or renewed their state licence?

If it helps I do have a Social Security Number.

K1 AOS:

May 22nd: Sent away AOS package Day 1

May 27th: Notification via text/email confirming receiving package. Day 5

May 29th: NOA's recieved on 29th May Day 7

June 2nd: Biometrics appointment for June 16th arrives. Day 11

June 16th: Successful Biometrics. Day 24

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do not drive without a valid license.

Not that hard.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Unfortunately, I got treated like an idiot at the RI DMV last Friday when I tried to do it. Basically got my documents thrown back at me and told to get lost because there was only 4 weeks remaining on the I-94.

Problem is it took the better part of a month to get bank checks with my name on it (which is one of the proofs of RI residency). As it stands, I'm not sure whether I can attempt again once I have AOS NOA1 or my EAD/AP card, or worse yet my GC. And the RI DMV being as useless as all buggery didn't make that clear, they just told me to get something "more long-term".

Anyway, to get back to the questions. As it's a state-by-state thing you're probably best off checking what the Montana DMV and their requirements for Out-of-Country are.

"What's yours is mine!"

Timeline

Do not drive without a valid license.

Not that hard.

Thanks for your very helpful post.

K1 AOS:

Timeline

Unfortunately, I got treated like an idiot at the RI DMV last Friday when I tried to do it. Basically got my documents thrown back at me and told to get lost because there was only 4 weeks remaining on the I-94.

Problem is it took the better part of a month to get bank checks with my name on it (which is one of the proofs of RI residency). As it stands, I'm not sure whether I can attempt again once I have AOS NOA1 or my EAD/AP card, or worse yet my GC. And the RI DMV being as useless as all buggery didn't make that clear, they just told me to get something "more long-term".

Anyway, to get back to the questions. As it's a state-by-state thing you're probably best off checking what the Montana DMV and their requirements for Out-of-Country are.

DMV's in big cities suck from what I hear. Even if they could spot me a temporary paper licence that would do.

K1 AOS:

DMV's in big cities suck from what I hear. Even if they could spot me a temporary paper licence that would do.

Yeah, and typically as an Out-of-Country person they want you to go to one specific DMV location (for us it's Cranston) so they can examine your documents. Anyway, this is what Montana wants:

Individuals with out-of-state licenses who wish to obtain a Montana driver license must:

• apply for a Montana driver license within 60 days of moving to the state if seeking a non-commercial driver license and within 30 days if they need a commercial license
  • provide the required documents
    • proof of identity
    • proof of Montana residency
    • proof of authorized presence

They also may be required to pass written and driving tests, in addition to a vision test. However, driver examiners may, at their discretion, waive the written and driving tests for individuals who have in their possession a valid license issued by another state.

Details: https://doj.mt.gov/driving/driver-licensing/#newresidents

Required Documents: https://doj.mt.gov/driving/required-docs/

"What's yours is mine!"

I drove on my UK licence until I got my EAD then did the (joke) test. If you get a licence it is only valid for the period of your current immigration status, so it could be your I-94, EAD or GC and as you have to pay each time it's hardly worth bothering until you have EAD.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I drove on my UK licence until I got my EAD then did the (joke) test. If you get a licence it is only valid for the period of your current immigration status, so it could be your I-94, EAD or GC and as you have to pay each time it's hardly worth bothering until you have EAD.

^^^This^^^

I drove on my UK licence for as long as I needed to. You know why? Because the local hick cops are clueless when it comes to anything that's not the norm. I was pulled over for speeding (72 in a 55) and when I told the guy I was newly arrived and still on my UK licence? He said, after a brief conflab over the radio with his station, and I quote, verbatim: "I got have your foreign address, passport and all that other sh!t, and it just ain't worth it. So I'm just gonna give you a stern warning and send you on your way."

Game, set, & match to non-stupid person. Bless you, Buford T Justice. You have a nice day.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline

Depends,there was a case involving someone in an accident and they were doing him for no license/insurance etc etc.

Speeding etc you most likely will get that response.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Depends,there was a case involving someone in an accident and they were doing him for no license/insurance etc etc.

Speeding etc you most likely will get that response.

Yep, you play the percentages I guess.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

^^^This^^^

I drove on my UK licence for as long as I needed to. You know why? Because the local hick cops are clueless when it comes to anything that's not the norm. I was pulled over for speeding (72 in a 55) and when I told the guy I was newly arrived and still on my UK licence? He said, after a brief conflab over the radio with his station, and I quote, verbatim: "I got have your foreign address, passport and all that other sh!t, and it just ain't worth it. So I'm just gonna give you a stern warning and send you on your way."

Game, set, & match to non-stupid person. Bless you, Buford T Justice. You have a nice day.

rofl.gif

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go and ask someone at the local DMV as it seems to vary so much from state to state. I've had no problems at all getting a full 6-year license even though my I94 was expired by the time I took my test (I'd been driving on my UK license until then) and my AOS is still with USCIS for processing. But a lot of people seem to have problems or be issued a license with limited validity, so I'd always go with confirming with the relevant office.

Timeline

I think illegals can get DL's in Washington?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.