enlijoe

Looking for advice

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

After what seamed forever waiting for the NOA-2, yes I know I have no right to complain as many have waited much longer than me, we are starting to prepare for the visa interview now. There is much to do and I have been scouring the net for any and all information I can find about what to expect and what we need to do for the interview at the Guanzhou consulate.

Some of what I found scares me a bit but I have been unable to verify how old this data is or if it still is even true about the Guanzhou consulate. From what I have found the Guanzhou consulate is one of the hardest consulates to get an approved visa through. They are specially hard on K-1 visa applicants when one or more the following conditions are true: Chinese applicant is unable to speak good English, large age difference, engagement with only one or on first visit together, Applicant has never been to the US, or the petitioner or applicant has 3 or more divorces.

I found this information on a China based website for a company that helps with immigration from China to us and this scares me very much because my fiancée English is not very good as she is still learning and my Chinese is even worse and I do have three divorces.

You may ask if we do not speak each other’s language very well how we talk. We muddle through in English and use google translate a lot. Our letters are all in English as she can read and write English fairly well it just slow and difficult or her. On qq or via text I type in English while she does it in Chinese and we both run through translators. We do talk voice on qq a little but it is not very much.

We do have quite a bit of other evidence but I fear they may reject us just because of these two items. I’m posting in the hope I can hear from others as to their experiences with the Guanzhou consulate and or get some advice as to how to overcome these issues.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

After what seamed forever waiting for the NOA-2, yes I know I have no right to complain as many have waited much longer than me, we are starting to prepare for the visa interview now. There is much to do and I have been scouring the net for any and all information I can find about what to expect and what we need to do for the interview at the Guanzhou consulate.

Some of what I found scares me a bit but I have been unable to verify how old this data is or if it still is even true about the Guanzhou consulate. From what I have found the Guanzhou consulate is one of the hardest consulates to get an approved visa through. They are specially hard on K-1 visa applicants when one or more the following conditions are true: Chinese applicant is unable to speak good English, large age difference, engagement with only one or on first visit together, Applicant has never been to the US, or the petitioner or applicant has 3 or more divorces.

I found this information on a China based website for a company that helps with immigration from China to us and this scares me very much because my fiancée English is not very good as she is still learning and my Chinese is even worse and I do have three divorces.

You may ask if we do not speak each other’s language very well how we talk. We muddle through in English and use google translate a lot. Our letters are all in English as she can read and write English fairly well it just slow and difficult or her. On qq or via text I type in English while she does it in Chinese and we both run through translators. We do talk voice on qq a little but it is not very much.

We do have quite a bit of other evidence but I fear they may reject us just because of these two items. I’m posting in the hope I can hear from others as to their experiences with the Guanzhou consulate and or get some advice as to how to overcome these issues.

They Denied our K-1,So we got Married and are at the N.V.C. Phase right now.I put everything I had into the I-130,for Evidence and intend to add more at the N.V.C ,since I have filed.

I have hired a attorney and my wife hire a attorney in China as well....we will be well Prepared this time

As for the Embassy,They did not look at any Evidence she took to the Interview and they had already made a Decision BEFORE SHE ARRIVED THERE! Trips to visit her ,i think is a Key to sucess and to have ALL the Evidence in front of the Interveiwer Before the Interview.

Best of Luck to both of us,the Officers there do seem to always be in Bad Moods..but don't ever give up,we didn't and we have been trying to be together for over 2 years and March 7 we will be married for 1 year ...and we are apart now!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Some of what I found scares me a bit but I have been unable to verify how old this data is or if it still is even true about the Guanzhou consulate. From what I have found the Guanzhou consulate is one of the hardest consulates to get an approved visa through. They are specially hard on K-1 visa applicants when one or more the following conditions are true: Chinese applicant is unable to speak good English ([1]My wife spoke some English.), large age difference (There are 13 years between my wife and I), engagement with only one or on first visit together ([2]We got engaged after my first visit.), Applicant has never been to the US ([3]My wife had been previously denied a B-1 visa.), or the petitioner or applicant has 3 or more divorces ([4]I have been divorced three times, she had one divorce.).

I agree with the previous posting about that the consulate staff had already formulated their decision. I believe that a majority of the decision had already been made about my wife and her son's visa applications. It was up to my wife and stepson to not botch the interview, and be denied a visa.

[1]She has studied English for some time, but was no where near proficient. [2]I proposed to her at my first visit. We had been in almost daily QQ, Yahoo IM, Skype contact, and had the documentation to prove it. [3]It is very difficult for a single Chinese female to get a US visitor visa. [4] We had complete and accurate divorce documentation.

I made a total of three trips to China to visit my then-fiancee. The last trip was to Guangzhou to provide support them at their visa interview. The consulate does not allow the USC to attend the interview. However, I gave my wife my passport with a Evolution of Relationship letter inserted lengthwise into it. She placed it on top of her papers and she slid it under the consulate teller window. The CO glanced at my passport, my letter, and passport stamps, acknowledging my presence in Guangzhou. I believe that the benefits from that jet-lag trip were priceless.

I think the key is to have a well-balanced mix of ALL of the types of evidence mentioned in the VJ K-1 Visa Guide. It is up to you to show that you have a genuine and ongoing relationship. We had passport stamps, itineraries, receipts, photos of us, her family, etc. I had even sent emails to the GUZ IV unit with specific questions about our case file. Be persistent, but don't be a pest. Make sure that you have complete and thorough documentation.

The consular officials certainly look at the evidence provided to them. At the successful conclusion of the interview, the CO wished my wife a happy birthday. Yes, she had her interview on her birthday. What a great gift. Read our timeline and reviews for more information.

You can successfully navigate your K-1 visa through Guangzhou consulate, you just have to have your sh## together, make a plan and execute your plan. Be concerned about your visa journey, not someone else's.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Any chance you can get to Guangzhou to be with her on interview day?

You cannot go with her to the interview, but you can be outside for support. There are many on here including A&B above that were there for thier fiancee's interview.

Edited by roxer

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You cannot go with her to the interview, but you can be outside for support. There are many on here including A&B above that were there for thier fiancee's interview.

I'm aware that petitioners can't attend visa interviews, my question was posed more as a gentle suggestion that he go to support her.

Timeline

The red flag list hasn't changed for Guangzhou - let me dig a bit and post it.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/234971-red-flag-list-for-visa-denial/?p=3601415

Since yer gonna wait a bit for the rest of the stuff at USCIS,

suggest you practice writing letters of attestation covering yer stuff and an evolution of relationship letter.

IF YOU GET AN RFE during the USCIS phase, submit yer pile along with the RFE submittal

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

How many trips have you made to China to visit her? Do you have pictures of you with her family?

Follow Darnell's advice if you get an RFE submit a lot more information.

If possible I would go there for the interview. If the CO is on the edge about approval it might just relieve a little of his doubt if she shows up with your passport on top with the Evolution of relationship letter in it.

When Yuan went for her interview the CO saw the passport and asked where I was. She said "he is drinking the overpriced coffee in the cafe downstairs please be quick so he does not spend a lot of money there". This was at the "old" consulate. you will not even get past the outside security building to get on the grounds of the new one.

The CO chuckled and asked her 5 simple questions.

She had 1 divorce, engaged after my first visit. But It I visited her once during the process to meet her family, and I was there for the interview. We had our Skype call log, lots of pictures he did not look at any of the evidence that we brought to the interview. I agree they have their minds pretty much made up before the interview.

Timeline

They Denied our K-1,So we got Married and are at the N.V.C. Phase right now.I put everything I had into the I-130,for Evidence and intend to add more at the N.V.C ,since I have filed.

I have hired a attorney and my wife hire a attorney in China as well....we will be well Prepared this time

As for the Embassy,They did not look at any Evidence she took to the Interview and they had already made a Decision BEFORE SHE ARRIVED THERE! Trips to visit her ,i think is a Key to sucess and to have ALL the Evidence in front of the Interveiwer Before the Interview.

Best of Luck to both of us,the Officers there do seem to always be in Bad Moods..but don't ever give up,we didn't and we have been trying to be together for over 2 years and March 7 we will be married for 1 year ...and we are apart now!

Sorry to hear about your trouble. This is also why I'm asking this of the members because I wish to avoid this happening to us.

Any chance you can get to Guangzhou to be with her on interview day?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/234971-red-flag-list-for-visa-denial/?p=3601415

suggest you practice writing letters of attestation covering yer stuff and an evolution of relationship letter.

IF YOU GET AN RFE during the USCIS phase, submit yer pile along with the RFE submittal

How many trips have you made to China to visit her? Do you have pictures of you with her family?

Follow Darnell's advice if you get an RFE submit a lot more information.

If possible I would go there for the interview. If the CO is on the edge about approval it might just relieve a little of his doubt if she shows up with your passport on top with the Evolution of relationship letter in it.

When Yuan went for her interview the CO saw the passport and asked where I was. She said "he is drinking the overpriced coffee in the cafe downstairs please be quick so he does not spend a lot of money there". This was at the "old" consulate. you will not even get past the outside security building to get on the grounds of the new one.

The CO chuckled and asked her 5 simple questions.

She had 1 divorce, engaged after my first visit. But It I visited her once during the process to meet her family, and I was there for the interview. We had our Skype call log, lots of pictures he did not look at any of the evidence that we brought to the interview. I agree they have their minds pretty much made up before the interview.

I'm past the USCIS stage now. Here is the some history for those who have asked.

I went to China to meet her after talking via email for about 5 months. I stayed there for about 10 days. We were unable to visit with her parents because my passport got stolen but I was able to visit with many other family members. We wanted for me to meet with her parents but did not have enough time after getting passport and visa replaced.

She can to visit me in the US for about 29 days. She has meet both my parents and my daughter. Was unable to visit with my brothers and sisters because of time and availability with them living about 900 miles from where I live. My parents flew in from Milwaukee to where I live in Dallas just to meet her and stayed about 10 days.

She can speak a little English but note all that well. She is able to read and write it better though.

I did front load my I-129f with some stuff but could have put more in there. I sent in about 9 pictures of us together and about 6 email messages. Copy of boarding passes from her trip and mine and also the ones from while I was in China when we flew to get my new passport and visa. Also include cell phone contract for US cell phone I purchased for her while she is in the US.

We got engaged when she was here in the US and I also filed the I-129F while she was here.

I would love to go to China to be with her for the interview, yes I know I can’t go to it with her, but that would be about another $1,500 and I'm struggling to get the almost $3,000 together that is needed between now and when she gets her AOS. Yes I make way over the minimum but funds are a bit tight right now with the cost of us seeing one another over the last 8 months being about $4,000.

I was thinking about writing a letter to the consulate and sending it to them explaining about my three marriages. First was a train wreck we fought all the time and I was very young, second wife left me because she decided that she wanted to have kids after she knew I could not. Third we found out that just because we were good friends does not mean you are going to be good lovers :(.

We are both not young. I’m 44 and she is 36. She has never been married. She is very independent and has 1 child and owns a house in China. She never had a passport before she came here and applied for the B-2 visa and was given a full year multi-entry. The POE gave her a 6 month approval for her stay even though she only need 1 month. To get the visa I gave her a letter of invitation, letter to consulate stating that we know she can’t marry while here and that we are planning on getting a K-1 visa, and the I-134.

We have known each other for about a year and a half now. I’m trying to learn Chinese but is slow. She was taking English classes.

Timeline

Thanks a lot your scaring the piss out of me. OMG do I have to work to do now. What is the best way to get information to the Consulate once I have passed the NOA-2 phase? Should I give it to her to give to them on interview day or should I express mail to consulate asap?

Timeline

alas, GUZ IV won't take anything on the casefile , for further intake, between the time that the casefile arrives to GUZ IV and interview day. it isn't done. She could bring a pile with her, but the time is limited on interview day for a consul to review this stuff - might get lucky with an evolution of relationship letter plus some photos reviewed during the 5 minutes that she's standing in front of a vice-consul.

did you include photocopies of your certified divorce decrees with the I-129F? if no, expect an RFE, and then send off your pile with that RFE submittal into USCIS.

IMO, though - these 3 prior divorces won't matter that much, at your age. I was the same. I can't say what I submitted matches what you submitted to the USCIS, I front-loaded based on a 5.5 year marriage with my wife and had a pile of evidence to send in, and even got a NOID at USCIS cause I missed something there. Me. Darnell. Missed Something !! grrrrr.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

alas, GUZ IV won't take anything on the casefile , for further intake, between the time that the casefile arrives to GUZ IV and interview day. it isn't done. She could bring a pile with her, but the time is limited on interview day for a consul to review this stuff - might get lucky with an evolution of relationship letter plus some photos reviewed during the 5 minutes that she's standing in front of a vice-consul.

did you include photocopies of your certified divorce decrees with the I-129F? if no, expect an RFE, and then send off your pile with that RFE submittal into USCIS.

IMO, though - these 3 prior divorces won't matter that much, at your age. I was the same. I can't say what I submitted matches what you submitted to the USCIS, I front-loaded based on a 5.5 year marriage with my wife and had a pile of evidence to send in, and even got a NOID at USCIS cause I missed something there. Me. Darnell. Missed Something !! grrrrr.

I do have to say this for sure. You do rock. Thanks for all the information I'm starting to feel a little better now. I did send in most of the needed information already with the I-129F. There are just a few things that I wish I knew about before. I think it would be nice to have the WIKI updated with a little more detail about supporting evidence to send along. And to also adjust the note about front loading is not always necessary but in some countries it is 100% necessary.

Well now I have a plan and that does help quite a bit. For others knowledge and for any possible suggestions here it is:

1) Brief letter to consulate explaining what i'm giving them below and why.

2) Life plan for when she gets here, how we will get her settled and handle the culture shock.

3) Quick 1/2 page about past divorces and why they can be sure I will never get back together with any of my ex's

4) 1-2 page letter from me on our relationship progression and the reasons why I love her also cover how we talk with neither of us knowing each others language very well.

5) 1-2 page letter from her on our relationship progression and the reasons why she loves me

6) Be with her in China for the interview date.

7) While in China get together with her parents and get some pics of all us.

8) Get more pics of her and I with my parents and my daughter.

9) Recept for the Rosetta Stone software I purchased to lean Chinese.

10) More email messages between us

11) copy of qq chats showing her talking in chinese and myself in English visa text with messages about how long the video chat session was open.

12) proof of her taking English classes.

I think that should cover any of the issues they may have when combined with what I sent them already of:

1) Boarding passes for me going to China and for the trip we to together to Guangzhou to get my passport and visa replaced.

2) Boarding passes for her tip to the US to visit me for 1 month

3) Pictures of us together in China and the US

4) All three divorce decrees.

5) Letter of intent to marry from both.

6) Copy of cell phone contract for US based cellphone for her.

7) email message from between us

8) Copy of bracelet recept for gift to her.

9) Description of how we met and what we did while I was in China

10) I-134 with three years tax returns, W-2's, 3 check stubs, letter from work about my employment, statement from bank with average balance, current balance, length of time account has been open and owners of account, Total rewards statement from my employer showing how much I have made and the value of the benefits they supply me.

I think that should cover everything. If anyone has any comments or suggestions please speak up.

Timeline

Do you know how to make copies of the QQ Logs?My wife and I have been trying to learn how to do that out.

I have not tried yet but will be doing it when I get home from work and will let you know what I figure out.

Timeline

I have not tried yet but will be doing it when I get home from work and will let you know what I figure out.

Great,Thank you..that is one thing that i did not have evidence of and that is the chat logs from QQ..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.