depaulbluedemon

Frustrated with Passport Agency

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I applied for a U.S. Passport on January 17. I became a naturalized citizen through my mother.

Letter says fine, submit an official notarized translation of your foreign birth certificate (I originally submitted a copy of this document because I used an online agency for translation, received an official translation after I submitted my passport application). That's fine, that's on me. However, the letter also states that I need to submit my official birth certificate which I already DID. I sent that with my original passport application. I just spent about an hour going through all of my personal documents attempting to find another official copy, but the one I submitted was the ONLY one. Now I am really worried. I drafted a letter which states that my original birth certificate was submitted with my original application. I will include that letter with the notarized translation, but I hope they aren't confused in anyway.

I am quite annoyed. I need a U.S. Passport to serve as proof of my citizenship. I elected to go the passport route because of the time/money I would save over the N600 route. Also have an anxiety disorder which is flaring up like crazy.

Edited by depaulbluedemon

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid the confusion is entirely on your part, as you've failed to understand the instructions.

You were supposed to give your Certificate of Naturalization or your Certificate of Citizenship per the instructions. Not your foreign birth certificate. You cannot get a U.S. passport without evidence of your U.S. citizenship.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I'm afraid the confusion is entirely on your part, as you've failed to understand the instructions.

You were supposed to give your Certificate of Naturalization or your Certificate of Citizenship per the instructions. Not your foreign birth certificate. You cannot get a U.S. passport without evidence of your U.S. citizenship.

I'm afraid you are providing incorrect information again. The OP stated he received US Citizenship through his mother. You know, the Child Citizenship Act, which does in fact requests the foreign birth certificate to establish relationship between the child and the now US Citizen mother.

You can take a look here.

I'm also posting the info for the OP. And depaulbluedemon, you did in fact submit your mother's naturalization certificate, correct? Have you heard anything back?

post-84154-0-34121700-1395627125_thumb.png

Edited by Nica_In_Love

Filed: Timeline

Forgot about this post, sorry. So on 3/25 I went to the Chicago Passport Agency in person. I made an appointment, but did not need one since they take missing document cases on a walk-in basis. I explained to them that I think my foreign birth certificate is in fact the original as I have been literally using the same one with no issues for 22 years--since I immigrated from Poland--I am now nearly 30-years-old. (Plus it looks original, not like a photocopy). They pulled my whole file and inspected it again and explained to me exactly why they think it's a copy (I now know that it is). Soooooooo.... I had to rush mail a letter to Poland so that my aunt who still lives there can get a copy of my long-form certificate from the county office. It's already in the mail. I should get it by 4/7.

The Chicago Passport Agency said my file is all complete except this dumb certificate, so I should have a passport in hand soon.

And yes, I became a [naturalized] citizen the instant my mother was naturalized due to the provisions of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: The U.S. Passport and the Certificate of Naturalization both serve as PRIMARY evidence of U.S. Citizenship. Naturalized citizens like me (who obtained citizenship through a parent) can elect to obtain a U.S. Passport in lieu of a Certificate of Naturalization. However, the Department of State needs the following proof: parent's Naturalization Certificate, evidence of lawful permanent entry (Green Card and/or foreign passport with a I-551 stamp), official foreign birth certificate (listing the name of the naturalized citizen parent), and an official notarized English translation of the foreign birth certificate. It's basically the same information you would have to furnish to USCIS.

Passport Agencies are very familiar with the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. This has never been an issue for me.

Edited by depaulbluedemon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Forgot about this post, sorry. So on 3/25 I went to the Chicago Passport Agency in person. I made an appointment, but did not need one since they take missing document cases on a walk-in basis. I explained to them that I think my foreign birth certificate is in fact the original as I have been literally using the same one with no issues for 22 years--since I immigrated from Poland--I am now nearly 30-years-old. (Plus it looks original, not like a photocopy). They pulled my whole file and inspected it again and explained to me exactly why they think it's a copy (I now know that it is). Soooooooo.... I had to rush mail a letter to Poland so that my aunt who still lives there can get a copy of my long-form certificate from the county office. It's already in the mail. I should get it by 4/7.

The Chicago Passport Agency said my file is all complete except this dumb certificate, so I should have a passport in hand soon.

And yes, I became a [naturalized] citizen the instant my mother was naturalized due to the provisions of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: The U.S. Passport and the Certificate of Naturalization both serve as PRIMARY evidence of U.S. Citizenship. Naturalized citizens like me (who obtained citizenship through a parent) can elect to obtain a U.S. Passport in lieu of a Certificate of Naturalization. However, the Department of State needs the following proof: parent's Naturalization Certificate, evidence of lawful permanent entry (Green Card and/or foreign passport with a I-551 stamp), official foreign birth certificate (listing the name of the naturalized citizen parent), and an official notarized English translation of the foreign birth certificate. It's basically the same information you would have to furnish to USCIS.

Passport Agencies are very familiar with the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. This has never been an issue for me.

Good to hear that the Passport Agency people were very helpful. I know you were frustrated but at least they explained to you what they needed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.