AubreyJ

Dual Citizenship

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I know that my Ghanaian husband can one day in the future achieve dual citizenship. My question, is if anyone knows if the American wife of a Ghanaian can get citizenship in Ghana? Anyone had any experience with this? It would sure be more convenient for travel in Africa, and we might be going back in a few months. Thanks all!

10-2004 Meet my one and only

05-05-06 Picked up the VISA

05-22-06 My baby's home! Once day short of a full year apart

08-14-06 Married!!!

02-24-07 Green Card in Hand

07-21-07 The REAL Wedding in Ghana

06-12-08 Our beautiful baby joins our lives :)

I know that my Ghanaian husband can one day in the future achieve dual citizenship. My question, is if anyone knows if the American wife of a Ghanaian can get citizenship in Ghana? Anyone had any experience with this? It would sure be more convenient for travel in Africa, and we might be going back in a few months. Thanks all!

Not sure if you have already found your answer, but I have dual citizenship "born overseas and migrated to the US". However, I happen to come from a country which insists that I maintain my citizenship there along with my US citizenship. However, it is my understanding that the US insists its "born" citizens chose one or the other unless you were born overseas, have parents from "that" country etc. I would start asking the Ghanian consulate in your area if the process is even possible.

Hope you are able to find all the answers you need.

chispas

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Filed: Timeline

That is untrue

An American citizen can have dual citizenship as long as the country appied to doesnt require you to renounce your citizenship. I have made several inquiries into it myself and a friend who works in Nigerian Embassy explained it to me. You are technicinally a citizen immediately through marriage so all you need is the passport. At least that is the way it works in Nigeria. It is way cheaper and it can be done from here through the Ghana embassy although its cheaper to do it there when you arrive. If I am not mistaken, in the UK, an American has to chooes to be either American or British I think, they cant be both.

.png

That is untrue

An American citizen can have dual citizenship as long as the country appied to doesnt require you to renounce your citizenship. I have made several inquiries into it myself and a friend who works in Nigerian Embassy explained it to me. You are technicinally a citizen immediately through marriage so all you need is the passport. At least that is the way it works in Nigeria. It is way cheaper and it can be done from here through the Ghana embassy although its cheaper to do it there when you arrive. If I am not mistaken, in the UK, an American has to chooes to be either American or British I think, they cant be both.

USA and UK both allow dual citizenship. It does not matter if you are a born or naturalized US citizen, you can be a dual citizen as long as the other country allows dual citizenship. Same is the case with UK, you are allowed to be a dual citizen.

You can be a dual USA and UK citizen.

Edited by MJA

U.S. Citizen since 02-15-2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Yes, as you are married to a Ghanaian (and a female) you can get citizenship almost automatically. You just have to apply for it. I don't know the application process, but you can find the Ghanaian constitution online and it is stated clearly there. If you were a male married to a Ghanaian woman, then the rules change and I think it becomes a little more difficult to become a Ghanaian citizen through marriage.

Good luck!

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

http://www.judicial.gov.gh/constitution/chapter_023.htm

"(2) Except as otherwise provided in article & of this Constitution, a person shall not be registered as a citizen of Ghana unless at the time of his application for registration he is able to speak and understand an indigenous language of Ghana. "

Start studying!! ;)

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
"(2) Except as otherwise provided in article & of this Constitution, a person shall not be registered as a citizen of Ghana unless at the time of his application for registration he is able to speak and understand an indigenous language of Ghana. "

Start studying!! ;)

Haha! My Dagbani, albeit limited, as my husband likes to say "is coming!" I think though, because it says "Except as otherwise provided" and it also says "7 (1) A woman married to a man is a citizen of Ghana" that should cover it.... Although, now that I think of it, that would make any married woman at all a Ghanaian citizen....

Hmm... I'm going to look more into this...! Thanks!

10-2004 Meet my one and only

05-05-06 Picked up the VISA

05-22-06 My baby's home! Once day short of a full year apart

08-14-06 Married!!!

02-24-07 Green Card in Hand

07-21-07 The REAL Wedding in Ghana

06-12-08 Our beautiful baby joins our lives :)

I dont understand dual citizenship. I was born in Pakistan, naturalized in US. Pakistan does allow dual citizenship. BUT AT THE NATURALIZATION CEREMONY, IN TAKING THE OATH, they make your raise your hand say that you renounce all other citizenship.

Dual citizen can get in trouble if they work for the overseas government, become a diplomate for the other country or work in the armed forces of another country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

awesome thread

great question

La Verdadera y El Sincero - Siempre

2005 - 2006 Spent falling in love

22 May 2006 My journey to Nigeria

24 May 2006 David proposes to me

9 June 2006 Mailed I129F to TSC

30 June 2006 NOA-1

Case Transferred to CSC

27 July 2006 Touched

5 Sept 2006 Called USCIS for case / IMBRA status

14 Sept 2006 Touched

19 Sept 2006 Touched Again!

23 Sept 2006 Received IMBRA RFE by postal mail (postmarked 20 Sept 2006)

25 Sept 2006 Response to IMBRA RFE sent Priority Mail w/Delivery Confirmation

29 Sept 2006 Rec'd Email stating RFE received

1 Oct 2006 Touched - Same RFE rec'd message

17 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Email

23 Oct 2006 NOA-2 Rec'd via Postal Mail

9 Nov 2006 Email from NVC (response to my inquiry) w/NVC case# - file to Lagos 6 Nov

13 Nov 2006 Received NVC letter via Postal Mail

20 Nov 2006 Fiance went to Lagos Consulate- Interview Date Received

7 Feb 2007 Interview-VISA GRANTED!!! -

12 Feb 2007 Visa in Hand!!! ***Scheduled arrival 23 Feb 2007***

23 Feb 2007 Arrived JFK USA!!!

12 May 2007 Married

23 May 2007 Filed AOS

25 May 2007 Rec'd NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
That is untrue

True I can have dual citzenship when my husband has lived with me for 6 months. I have immigration officers in Jamaica and they told me it would be a good thing if I get it because I am aloud 500 dollars worth of goods into the country. Therfore that can't charge many any duty on items.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
awesome thread

great question

Ditto :thumbs:

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

That is untrue

An American citizen can have dual citizenship as long as the country appied to doesnt require you to renounce your citizenship.

I guess the correct answer is based on laws of the country one wants to adopt. During the US naturalization ceremony, the ones I've been to and others in my family, were asked to raise their hand and "renounce" the other country. We then got new passports once we went back to our perspective natal countries. I attended a ceremony in December and my friend had to surrender her passport before receiving her certificate.

In short, some immigration officers might take the "Oath of Alligiance" more seriously than others and opt to take the old passports. This is a great thread to see the differences that come up for each one of us on the "road" to US citizenship.

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

That is untrue

Felshen,

From my understanding, a woman isn't technically a citizen thru marriage to a nigerian unless she plans on domiciling in Nigeria for a certain period of time. I have a friend (american) that is married to a Naija and they do have a child. The child automatically has dual-citizenship, but when she applied for it, they told her that she had to be a resident there for at least 12months. And regardless, u still have to pay the fees. And even if you do acquire Nigerian citizenship, you can go almost no where with a Naija passport alone. You would definitely need your american passport if anything. A Nigerian passport would be good for just that...traveling to Nigeria only! Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but even my husband totally agrees with me. I'd just rather pay the fee for a visitor's visa anyway. It's easy and convenient especially with proof that you r married to a Naija.

Sweetee

That is untrue

Felshen,

From my understanding, a woman isn't technically a citizen thru marriage to a nigerian unless she plans on domiciling in Nigeria for a certain period of time. I have a friend (american) that is married to a Naija and they do have a child. The child automatically has dual-citizenship, but when she applied for it, they told her that she had to be a resident there for at least 12months. And regardless, u still have to pay the fees. And even if you do acquire Nigerian citizenship, you can go almost no where with a Naija passport alone. You would definitely need your american passport if anything. A Nigerian passport would be good for just that...traveling to Nigeria only! Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but even my husband totally agrees with me. I'd just rather pay the fee for a visitor's visa anyway. It's easy and convenient especially with proof that you r married to a Naija.

Sweetee

A good marriage begins when both partners feel they got better than they deserve~~~~~~~~~~~~~

K1 TIMELINE

09/23/2003...NOA1(TSC)

02/05/2004...NOA2

02/16/2004...NVC CLEARED

03/09/2004...PACKET RECEIVED(FIANCEE PICKED UP)

06/07/2004...INTERVIEW DATE(SUCCESSFULL.....GOD IS IN CONTROL)

06/10/2004...VISA IN HAND

06/25/2004...USA ARRIVAL

06/29/2004...Applied for SSN

07/06/2004...Applied for Job(SUCCESS)

07/12/2004...SSN arrived in mail

07/15/2004...Began new Job

08/11/2004...WEDDING DATE....(Court)

09/15/2004...EAD & I-485 filed(via infopass)

09/27/2004...EAD & I-485 Receipt date

10/01/2004...NOA 1

10/08/2004...Received Driver's License

11/22/2004...Biometrics

12/27/2004...EAD approval

12/31/2004...EAD card arrives

01/01/2005...Church Wedding(Happy New Year!!!)

03/29/2005...I-485 interview(APPROVED!!!)

04/08/2005...Green Card arrival

12/29/2006...Lift Conditions pending(90 day advance filing)

Sorry for the double posting. Mistake on my part!

Sweetee

A good marriage begins when both partners feel they got better than they deserve~~~~~~~~~~~~~

K1 TIMELINE

09/23/2003...NOA1(TSC)

02/05/2004...NOA2

02/16/2004...NVC CLEARED

03/09/2004...PACKET RECEIVED(FIANCEE PICKED UP)

06/07/2004...INTERVIEW DATE(SUCCESSFULL.....GOD IS IN CONTROL)

06/10/2004...VISA IN HAND

06/25/2004...USA ARRIVAL

06/29/2004...Applied for SSN

07/06/2004...Applied for Job(SUCCESS)

07/12/2004...SSN arrived in mail

07/15/2004...Began new Job

08/11/2004...WEDDING DATE....(Court)

09/15/2004...EAD & I-485 filed(via infopass)

09/27/2004...EAD & I-485 Receipt date

10/01/2004...NOA 1

10/08/2004...Received Driver's License

11/22/2004...Biometrics

12/27/2004...EAD approval

12/31/2004...EAD card arrives

01/01/2005...Church Wedding(Happy New Year!!!)

03/29/2005...I-485 interview(APPROVED!!!)

04/08/2005...Green Card arrival

12/29/2006...Lift Conditions pending(90 day advance filing)

No hard feelinig Sweetie, I am not sure why my feelings might be hurt. I was simply stating the info that I recieved, and I was under the impression that the OP wanted info on a foreign passport and citizenship solely for the purpose of traveling.. I mean there is no other use for it and I am sure that everyone would agree with that.

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.