Kevo

Dual citizenship question

11 posts in this topic

We had a child born in Sep in the US, we registered the birth with the Phil consulate in LA shortly after. We received a certificate from them a couple weeks later stating the report of birth was completed.

Does that make our baby a dual citizen? Reason I'm asking is that I'm in the military and deployed and my wife/baby went back to the Philippines to stay with family until I get back...I don't want to get tagged for fines for the baby staying past 30 days without a visa.

That said, we got the baby a US passport, do we need to get her a Philippine one too?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get the Philippine passport. It's only 1200pesos and takes about 30 days. If you don't you will most likely have to treat it like a single US citizenship when the baby leaves which means extended visas. The first extension after 30 days is 3000 pesos, already more than the passport

Timeline

Get the Philippine passport. It's only 1200pesos and takes about 30 days. If you don't you will most likely have to treat it like a single US citizenship when the baby leaves which means extended visas. The first extension after 30 days is 3000 pesos, already more than the passport

if the baby goes back in the Philippines with her mom ( philippine citizen - I suppose?) , the mom / your wife can ask for a balikbayan stamp on the baby's passport. Balikbayan visa grants a one-year-visa free stay in the Philippines.For further info plase read at:

http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/balikbayan-one-year-visa-free-stay.html

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

We had a child born in Sep in the US, we registered the birth with the Phil consulate in LA shortly after. We received a certificate from them a couple weeks later stating the report of birth was completed.

Does that make our baby a dual citizen? Reason I'm asking is that I'm in the military and deployed and my wife/baby went back to the Philippines to stay with family until I get back...I don't want to get tagged for fines for the baby staying past 30 days without a visa.

That said, we got the baby a US passport, do we need to get her a Philippine one too?

Yes your child is a dual citizen, so you have two choices as to how to handle this; 1) Balikbayan stamp when arriving. 2) Get the Philippine passport.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

My child was born in Guam; I’m USC and my wife LPR

This is only based on our experience and wanted to share it with you

This is 10 years ago so the law by that time could have been changed

My child is not “dual citizen” he is US citizen even with Filipina mother

RA 9225 “Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act” doesn’t apply to my child because RA 9225 apply only to former Filipino citizen became Naturalized to USC

I filed a petition at the Bureau of Immigration in Philippines for my child to be recognized as a Filipino citizen based on the child Filipino parent (mother)

It took about 6 months

Someone made a comment to get a Philippines Passport;

DFA will not issue a Philippine passport to someone born in the foreign country regardless of having one Filipino parent

The child Filipina mother still needs to file a petition to recognize the child to be a Filipino citizen

Again, this info in 10 years old, go to Philippine Immigration website, click contact and send your inquiry via email, they will reply to you approximate 14 days

Edited by FirstOfficerD

Timeline

It actually depends if you and/or your wife are still a philippine citizen. If one of you still are and the other a citizen of the USA, your child born in the USA automatically gets dual citizenship. Cool, huh?

Edited by typo808

Timeline

Kevo:

My apology for giving outdated info, contacted my sis in law (a lawyer in Philippines)

If your child is born after October 15, 1986 with at least 1 Filipino citizen parent. the child is also a Filipino citizen

She didn't give me info if the child is born before October 15, 1986, I didn't inquire since I'm assuming your child was born recently

Timeline

Your child was born after 1986 as well, looks like someone in the Philippines took you to the cleaners with all that paperwork.... a lawyer maybe?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I need to apply for recognition because I never register his birth certificate to neither Philippine Consulate nor NSO

he is 8 years when he travel to Philippines

just because one of your parent is Filipino citizen, yes the child is Filipino you still need to do paper work, i.e., registering your child to either Philippine embassy or NSO if you are in Philippines

I didn't any of those procedure and the child is already 8 years old when he went to Philippines

The only reason I applied for him to be recognize is because we cannot transfer the property little of his grandparent due to he is USC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.