Lizeh

Vancouver consualte visa wait times

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hope my topic title was clear enough hahaha

Anyway, I am curious how long it generally takes for an approved applicant to get their passport/visa after their interview from the Vancouver consulate. My fiance's interview isn't until April 2nd (Also, this date seems awfully far away, but i will take what i can get lol) but I'd really like to buy his plane ticket to the states really soon. I just don't know how far after the interview date I should schedule. Preferably as soon as possible!

I'm wondering if April 10th would be too risky of a date? That's my birthday and I think it'd be cute if he could come then, but it's okay if that can't happen. I'd rather be safe than sorry, but if others have had quick turnaround times then maybe? Please let me know of your experiences ;w;

Timeline

Honestly, wait. Book the flight when he's got visa in hand. Murphy's law likes messing with us on that accord.

May 29, 2013 - Finally!!! I-129F and associated forms delivered!

June 3, 2013 - NOA1!

August 19, 2013 - NOA2! (email)

October 10, 2013 - NVC has our case, Vancouver number assigned

***Communications with Vancouver begging to put my case on hold a while due to house not selling!!!***

February 18, 2014 - Packet 3 Submitted

February 20, 2014 - Packet 4!!

May 5, 2014 - Medical

May 7, 2014 - Consulate Interview

May 13, 2014 - K1 visa in hand!!!

July 2, 2014 - POE (Sweetgrass)<p>

July 23, 2014 - apply for EI (mother of god that was confusing...)<p>

August 11, 2014 - finally get hitched!

September 16, 2014 - send off AOS/AP/EAD

Timeline

weh, if i wait that long though i'd have to wait even longer for him to get here since i'd have to book quite a bit after he gets the visa to get a decently priced flight ;w; maybe i will just do two weeks after his interview.... :<

I would make it however long he needs to give notice at work and wherever he's living. He may need time to get rid of a few things, say good bye to people, etc. Remember after activating his K1 he will not be able to travel to Canada for any reason until he has AP. He will not be able to work until he has the EAD. It's important to get married and file that paperwork, but he should also have the time he needs to make sure everything gets done before going. I spent the last month before my interview giving notice etc, and I was very fortunate to not be put into AP or denied. But I was also fortunate that I could have stopped the process of leaving my home and gone back to my job. It's really best to wait until you have the visa in hand. If anything I'd give him at least a month to get prepared and say his good byes. That's one thing I wish I'd had more time to do was say good bye to friends and family.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I echo the sentiments of those above me... wait to book his flights. It might be cute and fun to have him there on you birthday (who wouldn't want that?!) but things can happen and delays can come up for one reason or another. I was in AP for 3 weeks due to our lawyer failing to submit the I-134, but once we were approved, I got my passport back the next day (less than 24 hours later!).

I know you probably want a 'good deal' on a flight, but should there be a hiccup and your fiance would not have his visa in time, then that flight is no longer a really good deal protest6wz.gif .

Keep checking the CEAC website for available dates. Back in November we were given a late January interview date, and I checked the website multiple times per day and was able to bump up my interview date by 3 weeks!

Applied for Naturalization based on 3-year Residency 

July 05, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed via USPS to Phoenix Lockbox

July 10, 2017 (Day 05) - NOA received

July 12, 2017 (Day 07) -  Check is cashed by USCIS

July 19, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics appointment letter mailed

August 02, 2017 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment at Seattle Field Office

August 28, 2017 (Day 54) - Case is "in line" for an interview"

August 28, 2018 (Day 419) - Interview is scheduled

October 4, 2018 (Day 462) - Citizenship Interview AND Oath (offered same day oath by ISO in Seattle, WA)

Officially a U.S. Citizen - Proud to be an American

Timeline

I have to say, everyone keeps thinking my fiance has obligations, but he doesn't hahaha. He does not have a job he needs to inform nor does he have family he needs to say bye to immediately. Either way, though, i decided to book the plane ticket a bit later heheh, It would be nice for him to get here on my birthday, but I think I'd rather be safe than sorry <:3

(also, what does AP mean?)

Edited by Lizeh

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

AP--Additional processing in this case. .........and another meaning Advance Parole

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

You just want to be careful because even though you think you'll get approved on the spot, they may decide to do post decision activity before giving you your visa. It doesn't mean you're denied, but they may ask for more information that could delay it.

The safest is just to wait for the visa. Or purchase a ticket with extra insurance that lets you change your flight. But I guess that defeats the purpose of you wanting a deal on airfare.

Timeline

You just want to be careful because even though you think you'll get approved on the spot, they may decide to do post decision activity before giving you your visa. It doesn't mean you're denied, but they may ask for more information that could delay it.

The safest is just to wait for the visa. Or purchase a ticket with extra insurance that lets you change your flight. But I guess that defeats the purpose of you wanting a deal on airfare.

I hope, if you do buy a ticket, that it's refundable "just in case". I don't want to be a 'Debbie Downer' but it's risky to assume how quick (or slow!) things could go.

I know what it's like to be anxious to get the ball rolling and plan things and book things, but as I've learned, you need to expect the unexpected.

Applied for Naturalization based on 3-year Residency 

July 05, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed via USPS to Phoenix Lockbox

July 10, 2017 (Day 05) - NOA received

July 12, 2017 (Day 07) -  Check is cashed by USCIS

July 19, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics appointment letter mailed

August 02, 2017 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment at Seattle Field Office

August 28, 2017 (Day 54) - Case is "in line" for an interview"

August 28, 2018 (Day 419) - Interview is scheduled

October 4, 2018 (Day 462) - Citizenship Interview AND Oath (offered same day oath by ISO in Seattle, WA)

Officially a U.S. Citizen - Proud to be an American

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.