3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I'm confused about this I-131 AP, I'm preparing my documents for my AOS and I don't know if I needed to include Advance Parole application or not. We have plans on goin back to my homeland for a 2 weeks vacation but it will be in December 2015. So, do I still need to get this Advance Parole or not, cause im thinking maybe by that time, hopefully, I will have my greencard. Follow up question, if I got that CONDITIONAL green card, am I allowed to travel outside US without that advance Parole thing?

TIA :)

Once you have the 2-year green card you can travel outside the US on it.

You don't have to submit the I-131, but I recommend that you do, in even if you don't have any immediate plans to travel outside the US. You never know what might happen, and the green card can take up to a year to be approved. If you don't submit the I-131 then you will be stuck in the US for that time. It is free to apply for the I-131.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Once you have the 2-year green card you can travel outside the US on it.

You don't have to submit the I-131, but I recommend that you do, in even if you don't have any immediate plans to travel outside the US. You never know what might happen, and the green card can take up to a year to be approved. If you don't submit the I-131 then you will be stuck in the US for that time. It is free to apply for the I-131.

I double this post. I would always apply for an AP - it is not a big deal to fill out the form (you don't even have to attach an explanation letter because you are applying for your AP along with your adjustment of status) and you will be glad to have it in case emergencies in your home country come up. We have posts from members on here every other week asking what to do because they suddenly have to travel outside the U.S. but did not apply for an AP. Once you get your conditional Green Card, you will be able to travel with it freely and won't need the AP anymore, but as Lainie said, it may take up to a year (for some even longer) to get your Green Card.

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.