teukros

Re-visiting Russia

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The part about this whole process that has always puzzled me is the use of companies for issuing and registering visas. It is essentially paying someone "extra" for the same government service. In political science this is very inefficient. The second part that puzzles me is why people rely so much on these companies rather than their own fiancees who are citizens of Russia and know their system best?

In comparison, imagine if your fiancee prior to arriving to the US, paid some firm $100 to pick her up and help her fill out forms for her Social Security card. This hypothetical firm took orders online and said getting a SS card for K1 visas was quick and easy. I'd imagine you'd be shocked. Because you were just as capable of walking into the SSA office and helping her fill out a one page form. And in hind sight you know she'll get the card and there is no reason to pay a firm. And if there are problems you know how to get them solved here in the US.

And for those that argue convenience and ease, my hypothetical firm is both :)

The same reasoning applies to visa registration and the booking of hotels and apartments. :) (Again, imagine your fiancee paying some firm or guy in the US an extra $50 per night to be able to place an order for a hotel in Las Vegas - through their translated, convenient, and simple website).

This was just some food for thought. Because it always makes me laugh to think that sending your passport directly to the Russian consulate with your ordered tourist invitation, which should be given out for free or a minimal charge to anyone who books at a Russian hotel is less reliable then sending the passport to a firm (extra cost), who then pays a courier (extra cost) to take the passports to the consulate. And the scenario gets even funnier if you happen to live within 25 miles of the consulate.

My final advice on this is to use the private visa if you know you are going to Russia, going less than twice a year, will be staying with your fiancee, and you are planning your trip more than 4 months in advance.

Otherwise default to the tourist visa for hotel stays and short notice trips.

And for people that go frequently the business visa is the best.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
NEVER OVERSTAY A VISA. The penalty for this is serious. They won't let you leave Russia. For months.

I can vouch for this! I missed my flight on the last day of my visa. It took me 4 days, and help from both American Embassy and Russian Embassy before they would give me an extension to leave. :blink: My tourist visa sponsor was in Volgograd, and they were not at all helpful - 'cause I was in Moscow when my visa expired. But at least I got out of there in one piece, and rather quickly at that! The visa extention cost me an extra $110, hotel for 4 days, and lots of worrying. The only good thing was that my fiance stayed with me the whole time! :dance:

Now I have to answer 'Yes' to that question about overstaying a visa. And I had to go in person to the Russian Consulate office in Houston to get my last 2 visas! What a pain in the ... neck! Hopefully in the future, I can just mail in the visa application without the "interview" for my tourist visa.

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Timeline
NEVER OVERSTAY A VISA. The penalty for this is serious. They won't let you leave Russia. For months.

I can vouch for this! I missed my flight on the last day of my visa. It took me 4 days, and help from both American Embassy and Russian Embassy before they would give me an extension to leave.

Okay, MONTHS might not have been exactly right, but it can certainly take longer than four days.

They don't really care why, either (flight cancelled, airport closed, serious illness). You will still have problems.

Plan on leaving at least the day before your visa expires. Good safety tip.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Timeline
Okay, MONTHS might not have been exactly right, but it can certainly take longer than four days.
Months might be closer than you think! Austin got off easy in my opinion. When I was getting my private visa registered at the OVIR I discussed visa overstays with the person in charge over there. She told me that a lady from Israel had over stayed her visa, was denied boarding at the airport in Moscow, and sent back to Siberia where her visa sponsor was. Then 1 month later through a court order received a stamp in her passport that she could exit Russia and a 5 year ban on re-entry to be placed in her file. I don't know if that file makes it back to the Russian consulates in the US or even circulates within the Russian computer system, but what a pain in the butt. Poor lady probably lost her job back home and all that good stuff.

Timeline
Months might be closer than you think! Austin got off easy in my opinion.

Yes, I know I got off easy. Four days is extremely fast!

I only spent about $3000 in expenses trying to get out (hotel, additional airfare, cost for new visa, etc). And my boss (and his boss) was very understanding. Most other places I know would tell you to get lost after missing only one or two days of work.

Maybe they gave me a break because I tried to get the visa extension the last day of my then-current visa. I should have stayed in the "transit" area of the airport. It would have made things a LOT easier. But I was stupid then. :P I'm a LOT more seasoned now! Now I get a visa for 30 days, even if I'm only going to be there for 1 or 2 weeks. Sage advice for anyone traveling to Russia!

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You said you might stay in a hotel the first night. That would register your visa and you would not need to worry about it. It only takes one stamp on the back of your entry card to fulfill the requirements. There are services that will register it if you don't but most are in the major cities. If there is a hotel where you are going they can probably register your visa for you too but they will charge you for a one night stay even though you don't get the room.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
You said you might stay in a hotel the first night. That would register your visa and you would not need to worry about it. It only takes one stamp on the back of your entry card to fulfill the requirements. There are services that will register it if you don't but most are in the major cities. If there is a hotel where you are going they can probably register your visa for you too but they will charge you for a one night stay even though you don't get the room.

The stamps have dates on them -- in theory there should be no gaps over 3 days.

In practice, this should work fine though (for a short trip).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
Months might be closer than you think! Austin got off easy in my opinion. When I was getting my private visa registered at the OVIR I discussed visa overstays with the person in charge over there. She told me that a lady from Israel had over stayed her visa, was denied boarding at the airport in Moscow, and sent back to Siberia where her visa sponsor was. Then 1 month later through a court order received a stamp in her passport that she could exit Russia and a 5 year ban on re-entry to be placed in her file. I don't know if that file makes it back to the Russian consulates in the US or even circulates within the Russian computer system, but what a pain in the butt. Poor lady probably lost her job back home and all that good stuff.

I would've been running across the border in that case!

Maybe they gave me a break because I tried to get the visa extension the last day of my then-current visa. I should have stayed in the "transit" area of the airport. It would have made things a LOT easier. But I was stupid then. :P I'm a LOT more seasoned now! Now I get a visa for 30 days, even if I'm only going to be there for 1 or 2 weeks. Sage advice for anyone traveling to Russia!

Good idea! When my Algerian visa was issued, I requested that the visa dates extend a few days before my actual trip, and extend to at least a week after my expected departure so that I don't get caught up in an overstay!

I'm so sorry to hear about your guys visa issues!! I never realized the issue in Russia was that difficult to navigate around with.

BTW - OP those are awesome and beautiful pics of Russia! I may visit one day, but, too afraid of visa problems?? lol

Timeline
I would've been running across the border in that case!
Ironically this is one of the suggestions given by Russian officials if you think you are going to overstay your visa. It is much easier to cross over the boarder and get another visa back into Russia then it is leaving Russia with an expired viss!
I never realized the issue in Russia was that difficult to navigate around with.
One should never heed the official advice given by our government:

"Unexpected and irrational features of the restrictive and complicated Russian visa regime will surprise even seasoned travelers" http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=131660

I may visit one day, but, too afraid of visa problems?
Well planned tourist visits are as simple in Russia as any where else. Assuming you are staying in hotels and going through official tourist channels. I'd be more concerned about the outrageous prices for tourism in Russia which is starting to to hurt that sector of their economy.

Timeline
[

"Unexpected and irrational features of the restrictive and complicated Russian visa regime will surprise even seasoned travelers" http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=131660

=== From the site above:

By Russian law, travelers with an expired visa may not check in at any hotel, guesthouse, hostel, or other lodging establishment in Russia. There are no adequate public shelters or safe havens in Russia and the Embassy or the Consulates General have no means to accommodate such stranded travelers.

=== end quote===

Planning to leave Russia on the last day of a visa is dangerous, in particular by air. If your flight is cancelled, you are basically screwed. Aeoroflot may not check you in for the flight, or a future one - waiting in the airport may not be an option. Remember, my wife was not allowed to check in for a weather-delayed flight, nor a future one.

If you are in this situation, the best thing to do is leave Russia by any means possible, flying to any country you can. From St Petersburg, driving/train/bus/flight to Finland is your best choice. From Moscow, a seat on any flight at almost any price will be cheaper than staying. Kiev may be cheap, no visas were necessary last time I checked.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to Russia twice and never stayed in a hotel. I rented a private apartment and had my visa registered by a local travel agency. That only took a few hours and a coupla bucks. No big deal at all. For each visa I put my fiancee's address as the place I would be staying during my visit only because I wasn't sure I could rent an apartment. I was successful in renting a place both times, and never changed the address on my visa application. No questions where ever asked.

How much was the apartment? Where? What service? Etc., Etc., Etc.!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I did it twice, once in Sochi and then once in Moscow.

Both time were through Russian run agencies in the US.

The first time they arranged the apartment and got the visa including taking care of the invitation and registering me in Sochi.

The second time it was not only the same for Moscow, they also make the flight reservations AND because my passport had less than six months they expedited the renewal of my passport FIRST and then walked the new passport over to the Russian Consulate.

I did pay extra for it all because it was a drop-dead rush.

Larry and Maria

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi again, I got back last Thursday, I stayed in hotels the whole time except for a three day period (Saturday night through Monday night), which included Sunday. At passport control they seemed to be debating whether to hassle me or not but eventually waved me through without any questions. :thumbs:

Getting this big honkin' framed crossstich picture back to the United States (a gift from Diana's aunt, so that when I looked at it I would remember Russia) was a bit of an adventure though... but that is a story for another time. ;)

Welcome back tuekros. Glad to hear everything went well on your trip. Did you even register your visa at all? Each hotel maybe? Or, did you just say "forget it" and passport control went ahead and waved you through?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.