7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Hi everyone,

I mailed out my AOS packet in December right before the holidays, and the guy who was serving me had very poor english. He kept asking if I wanted a signature since it seemed like an important package to which I replied No, just a tracking number. He kept explaining the signature was only a dollar more and I kept saying No it's okay it's going to to a lock box where it will be safe, when I looked at the receipt later I think he may have put the signature required on the package.

Anyway so I checked the mailing status and it says it was delivered on December 27, 2013. I have not received anything from the uscis, and I filled out a receipt notice and included it in the package, I thought mostly due to the holidays, but on here people are saying they've received case numbers and other information in the last few days.

Would it be a problem if they had to sign for it? has this happened to anyone before?

My I-94 expires in the end of January, I am just worried about it all going wrong

Thanks

event.png

event.png

It shouldn't be a problem at all. If anything it might delay it slightly, since they may have to wait for someone to sign for it, but it won't affect it too much. And don't worry about the expiration on your I-94. The AOS does not need to be filed within 90 days, you only need to marry within 90 days.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

I believe mine had a signature required and I could see the signature online as part of tracking system and it was signed something like "state" from what i can remember.

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My local postmaster told me not to ask for a signature because they will need to find a real person which usually ends up being a security guard and who know what he / or she will do with it after signing. But you've done it now, all you can do is wait it out. Most likely it will get to the right place, it might just take a little longer.

With the holidays, I'm sure everything is delayed.

FYI you DO need to file the AOS before the I-94 expires or you are technically accumulating an over stay. Getting married does not remove the 90 day time limit. Getting married allows you to file the AOS and continue the journey as apposed to leaving the country.

My local postmaster told me not to ask for a signature because they will need to find a real person which usually ends up being a security guard and who know what he / or she will do with it after signing. But you've done it now, all you can do is wait it out. Most likely it will get to the right place, it might just take a little longer.

With the holidays, I'm sure everything is delayed.

FYI you DO need to file the AOS before the I-94 expires or you are technically accumulating an over stay. Getting married does not remove the 90 day time limit. Getting married allows you to file the AOS and continue the journey as apposed to leaving the country.

This is incorrect information. You are not REQUIRED to file AOS before the I-94 expires. Yes you will be out of status and accumulating an overstay, however it has no effect on the AOS process, and it will not affect your ability to stay here. Best advice is to file it as soon as possible, but it is absolutely not required to file before your I-94 expires.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have consistently filed our USCIS paperwork as directed in the VJ Guides, and have had no problems.

From the K-1 AOS Guide:

Where to File Everything:

Applicants are required to mail applications to a national mailbox (Chicago) as stated on the form (not your local USCIS office). Be sure to mail the package with return receipt requested / delivery confirmation. Send via USPS.

YMMV

Happy New Year!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.