bunkie

Out of Status on J1..Maybe Not Sure

5 posts in this topic

HI everyone. I was lurker for a couple of years until my wife came over from Russia last year on a K1. Learned a lot of things and you helped us with a lot of questions by reading and doing more reading.

I hope this is a correct area to make this post, if not I apologize.

There is something bothering my wife and me concerning one of her friends here from Moldova that also has a son here. She has spent a few weekends with us and sorta hinted to my wife that her son had overstayed a J1 visa he was on for three years now. We know this is a serious problem and what can happen to him if this is true and what could possible happen to her if she got caught knowing he had overstayed for 3 years. This lady won the green card lotto almost four years ago and has been here almost that length of time. She also told my wife he has a SSN and a driver's license from another state other than where he lives now.

We absolutely do not want to get involved with this situation and my wife feels like she needs to know the truth that she does have a son here with an overstay for three years. We know his last name and what city he lives in. Is there anyway we can find out online the truth of this matter, more or less is there a website that list anyone out of staus? My wife is trying to avoid her as much as possible and doing nothing but talking to her on the phone now.

My wife wants to do nothing that wuold harm her friendship with her friend but she also knows right is right and wrong is wrong. I think if she found out the real truth then she would tell her friend he needs to go home or risk getting caught and arrested and then deported and not allowed to apply for another visa to come here for 10 years.

Any help you could give us in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by bunkie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If he has over 1 year of overstay he will have a 10 year ban and it will probably be hard to get a visa in the future.

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Thank you for your reply. Yes we know about the 3 and 10 year ban for being able to apply for another visa thanks to Google. We're not wanting to get involved with this but my wife does want to know "what's going on here" more or less because of her friend.

My wife told me last night..I wish she had never told me this and now I worry for her, not him. If he is out of status then he needs to go back home,

I told her there's probably 100's if not 1000's in his situation and I doubt very seriously immigation was out looking for him. There's other ways these people get caught without them having to go on the hunt for them.

Our question was, is there away we can check online, or call someone, to find out about his status.

Once again I thank you.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

There is no way for you to check on his immigration status. Privacy laws will not allow any government agency to discuss or disclose a person's immigration file with a private third party like you.

There is no consequences to knowing an illegal alien or visa overstay.

I know several people who I suspect may be here illegally. To be frank, I don't care to know their status. None of my business and there is no benefit to me knowing. Ignorance is a wonderful thing sometimes since no consequences can be attached to me because I don't know. Furthermore, I am not going to profile any suspected illegals. Not my job.

Thanks for your reply and information. My wife's situation is that she wants to know if her friend is telling her the truth or not. Nothing more or nothing less.

I too would not profle a suspected illigal and we do have piles of them living where where we live and like everyone else...leave it alone.

Merry Christams everyone

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.