sparkles_

Need info. from Cyprus spouses

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm moving over to this subforum because I'm in need of info. specifically from anyone who has married in Cyprus.

My fiance is currently living in Dubai, but an Egyptian national. He is Christian and so am I, so it is amazingly hard for us to marry there. The closest option I had found involved 3 trips to marry in a Church there and I just can't do that. People are saying that residents of Dubai often head to Cyprus to avoid the insanity of trying to marry in the UAE so we're considering this.

So how do people on a visit visa get married in Cyprus? Where to go, what is needed? I have found a site but it only has basic information about cost and the time you must wait and that is about it.

Thanks in advance, guys.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

For us it was a nightmare to try to marry in Cyprus. it was an epic fail to say the least.

My fiance (not Cyprus citizen) was told in person that 7 days would be sufficient to approve the marriage application by the local authorities.
I had 2 weeks time to spend there.
I also looked at a gazillion web sites and did own my research.

We submitted the application form (can't do it ahead of time, have to be there both in person.)

We were told, no problem they will call us.
We kept waiting. No call came. We went to the office in person.

We were then told it could take anywhere from weeks to several months.

At that moment I morphed into bridezilla and said "What do you mean weeks and months, I have a plane to catch and you said

7 days previously."
I then asked where is our application form now ? The send us on a wild goose chase until we finally located it in another building

under a stack of many other applications.
They refused to take it out of the stack and said we have to wait our turn.
I went all the up to the Minister of the Interior with this and talked to him personally.
There was nothing we could do. They are all ridiculously making up rules as they go, one says this another says that.

They insisted they wanted to see my original birth certificate even though their official list said passport and copy of birth certificate.

Well I didn't bring the original and went according to their required list.
They finally said ok we accept it but that was just at the first phase filling out the application before it was send to another building.

They also wanted someone to certify his address. it was insane. We dealt with 2 different municipalities almost daily.

I flew back home. Wedding bouquet and all ! Unmarried.
I can't tell you how upset I was. We were denied after 16 months of AP. We wanted to marry and file a CR1.
Now we are back at refiling a K1. We met in 2009.

We have been through hell and back.
If your fiance will be legal there in Cyprus then you can give it a try but call them first to see what time table answer they will give you.

Plan on staying longer. I wasn't able to stay more than the 2 weeks.
You may want to consider paying "extra" to get things done. Wink.
I know one lady who married someone there on a visitor visa but her USC fiance stayed there a few months.
They were finally approved after the embassy did not accept their previous marriage certificate from her country.

It also depends if you go to the North side or Greek side. My experience was with the North side which is under Turkish occupation.
My fiance can't cross the border to the South though I could if I wanted to with my US passport. The political ####### makes it even more insane

with all the different rules that change day to day depending on who you talk to.

You can try it but don't have your hopes up too much. Plan a visit and if it works out fine and if it doesn't then you have at least

spend time together and can plan another route. Ask in person what documents you need to bring, don't rely on a list from the internet and not even on their own list. Some have suggested it may go easier with a professional wedding planner. I wish I had gone that route.

Nothing is guaranteed in this stupid process.
Others have been successful I am sure but we were not though I rattled all the cages I could rattle all the way up to the top man.girlwerewolf2xn.gif

Let me know what you decide and if you need help with a venue/hotel. We always stay at a lovely resort that is inexpensive if you hussle

the price down. Cyprus is a beautiful island but its local policies in the north suck big time.

I wish you the best and hope my ordeal helped you to plan better.

You may try Istanbul though I heard they will require a medical and blood tests. It just isn't easy anywhere and one has only

so much money to go on a hunt for a country to marry in and when you think you finally got one the rules change.

Edited by Ebunoluwa
Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Here is another link from years ago about a discussion on where to marry

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/161237-getting-married-in-istanbul/

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

For us it was a nightmare to try to marry in Cyprus. it was an epic fail to say the least.

My fiance (not Cyprus citizen) was told in person that 7 days would be sufficient to approve the marriage application by the local authorities.

I had 2 weeks time to spend there.

I also looked at a gazillion web sites and did own my research.

We submitted the application form (can't do it ahead of time, have to be there both in person.)

We were told, no problem they will call us.

We kept waiting. No call came. We went to the office in person.

We were then told it could take anywhere from weeks to several months.

At that moment I morphed into bridezilla and said "What do you mean weeks and months, I have a plane to catch and you said

7 days previously."

I then asked where is our application form now ? The send us on a wild goose chase until we finally located it in another building

under a stack of many other applications.

They refused to take it out of the stack and said we have to wait our turn.

I went all the up to the Minister of the Interior with this and talked to him personally.

There was nothing we could do. They are all ridiculously making up rules as they go, one says this another says that.

They insisted they wanted to see my original birth certificate even though their official list said passport and copy of birth certificate.

Well I didn't bring the original and went according to their required list.

They finally said ok we accept it but that was just at the first phase filling out the application before it was send to another building.

They also wanted someone to certify his address. it was insane. We dealt with 2 different municipalities almost daily.

I flew back home. Wedding bouquet and all ! Unmarried.

I can't tell you how upset I was. We were denied after 16 months of AP. We wanted to marry and file a CR1.

Now we are back at refiling a K1. We met in 2009.

We have been through hell and back.

If your fiance will be legal there in Cyprus then you can give it a try but call them first to see what time table answer they will give you.

Plan on staying longer. I wasn't able to stay more than the 2 weeks.

You may want to consider paying "extra" to get things done. Wink.

I know one lady who married someone there on a visitor visa but her USC fiance stayed there a few months.

They were finally approved after the embassy did not accept their previous marriage certificate from her country.

It also depends if you go to the North side or Greek side. My experience was with the North side which is under Turkish occupation.

My fiance can't cross the border to the South though I could if I wanted to with my US passport. The political ####### makes it even more insane

with all the different rules that change day to day depending on who you talk to.

You can try it but don't have your hopes up too much. Plan a visit and if it works out fine and if it doesn't then you have at least

spend time together and can plan another route. Ask in person what documents you need to bring, don't rely on a list from the internet and not even on their own list. Some have suggested it may go easier with a professional wedding planner. I wish I had gone that route.

Nothing is guaranteed in this stupid process.

Others have been successful I am sure but we were not though I rattled all the cages I could rattle all the way up to the top man.girlwerewolf2xn.gif

Let me know what you decide and if you need help with a venue/hotel. We always stay at a lovely resort that is inexpensive if you hussle

the price down. Cyprus is a beautiful island but its local policies in the north suck big time.

I wish you the best and hope my ordeal helped you to plan better.

You may try Istanbul though I heard they will require a medical and blood tests. It just isn't easy anywhere and one has only

so much money to go on a hunt for a country to marry in and when you think you finally got one the rules change.

Oh, mannnnnnn. I was assuming it would be simple like the site made it sound. I am wondering if there are any companies that do marriage services there?? I can not imagine going and coming back unmarried. I'm going to look at the other link right now. I am mostly trying to find somewhere that my fiance can go to without a visa.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Timeline

First decide if you want to enter the north or south due to the border issue.

Everything else depends on that. Then google for a wedding organizer.
I may be able to help you with that later, got to run to work now.

Spoiler

Timeline

http://www.riversideholidayvillage.com/specialoffers.html

http://www.riversideholidayvillage.com/index.htm Here is the other link I wanted to share with you.

You can ask them for wedding planners who handle your paperwork for a wedding. I stayed there 4 times. It is very nice and very

reasonably priced in off season. Again even with a wedding planner, rely on no one but yourself with the details of documents.

The wedding planners want their money and will help push the local authorities to follow through more than if you alone try to push them.

You can PM me anytime you need more help. There are a lot of romantic venues to have a wedding at.

Just wish it had worked for us.

Spoiler

Timeline

http://www.riversideholidayvillage.com/specialoffers.html

http://www.riversideholidayvillage.com/index.htm Here is the other link I wanted to share with you.

You can ask them for wedding planners who handle your paperwork for a wedding. I stayed there 4 times. It is very nice and very

reasonably priced in off season. Again even with a wedding planner, rely on no one but yourself with the details of documents.

The wedding planners want their money and will help push the local authorities to follow through more than if you alone try to push them.

You can PM me anytime you need more help. There are a lot of romantic venues to have a wedding at.

Just wish it had worked for us.

Thank-you so much. If we go this was instead of the K1 it will happen on the Greek side, so maybe there is more luck that way? I'll surely keep in mind to PM if I have anymore specific questions :)

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Timeline

Thank-you so much. If we go this was instead of the K1 it will happen on the Greek side, so maybe there is more luck that way? I'll surely keep in mind to PM if I have anymore specific questions smile.png

I will ask my fiance , he knows some people who may have heard how hard it is on the other side.

Spoiler

Timeline

I will ask my fiance , he knows some people who may have heard how hard it is on the other side.

:D OK, tell him I appreciate it.

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Timeline

biggrin.png OK, tell him I appreciate it.

My fiance said that he has heard that if you can enter into the south it would take less time and be easier overall.

No personal experience with the south though.

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.