B&L

Given/Middle Name Issue

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys. So I just got back from the SS office attempting to apply for my number and card, but encountered an issue which the agent told me was "A very big problem that I should get fixed soon".

My issue is that apparently, on both my visa and i-94, my first and middle names have been entered as my first name only. My first name is Billy, my middle is George. In my UK passport, it lists "Given Names" which lists both Billy George, whereas on the visa & i-94 it lists "Given Name" as Billy George. Apparently this means different things because when I filled out my application form at the SS office and listed my first name as Billy and my middle name as George, the agent encountered the issue, telling me as far as the US is concerned my first name is Billy George. He told me I need to make an infopass appointment at my local USCIS office, but after some calls to various places, I got told to contact DHS, then the NVC, then USCIS. Lots of being bounced around.

I was just wondering if anyone had gone through this issue and had any advice?

It's much appreciated, thank you.

K1 Timeline:

15th Feb 2013 - Mailed I-129F to CSC
21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

how to fix?

get into a CBP office (secondary inspection, deferred inspection, or even POE office)

and have it fixed there.

Then go back to the SSA office about 6 working days later, and try it again.

CBP staff can update the SAVE database for you. SSA clerks only READ what's in the SAVE database, and since they found a discrepancy, is best to get to a CBP office for the fix. No queues, no lines, no waiting, no reason to call except to verify the address and their working hours.

I've a link for CBP website and office locations up at http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

Isn't it fun when 2 branches of the gov use the same computer system? (SAVE) ..

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I'm not sure if the issue is with my entry, or the visa itself. My i-94 says first (given) name is Billy George, and my visa says "Given Name" is Billy George. So I'm not entirely sure where I need to get it fixed...or if I have anything to get fixed, as far as I know my first and middle names are separate...on my UK passport it lists "Given Names" with an S as "Billy George", but on my British Birth Certificate it just lists "Name and Surname" without specifying anywhere for a middle name. So my parents simply completed that with "Billy George SURNAME" at the time.

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

Perhaps you will be 'Billy George' forever in the USA, then, if you don't want to get it fixed at CBP office.

IMO, it was messed up with USCIS and the IV Unit in London - you could have gotten it fixed in London after seeing the mess - but

CBP will be able to fix you.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Won't they just look at my birth certificate and tell me my name is "Billy George" as that's how it looks on the birth cert? Or my passport where it only says that my "Given Names" are Billy George. I don't have any documents that specify a difference between a first and middle name, only those that list names together. Does this mean that in some technicality, my legal name is actually "Billy George"?

Also, is there another list of locations I can use? That one on the CBP site doesn't seem to like me.

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Won't they just look at my birth certificate and tell me my name is "Billy George" as that's how it looks on the birth cert? Or my passport where it only says that my "Given Names" are Billy George. I don't have any documents that specify a difference between a first and middle name, only those that list names together. Does this mean that in some technicality, my legal name is actually "Billy George"?

Also, is there another list of locations I can use? That one on the CBP site doesn't seem to like me.

The info on the automated I-94 says the entry record is created by scanning your passport. So that makes me think your passport is coded or chipped BillyGeorge (no middle name) Surname.

I don't know if middle names come up separately on I-94s now. On the paper one my husband did for his entry it was [first name] [last name]. The Social Security office would not put his middle name on his card. Just "Joe Jones". Then when his greencard came "Joe B Jones", they issued a new card in that name. Three years later when his naturalization certificate was issued "Joe Bob Jones", the SSA said they had to issue yet another card in that exact name.

I wonder if you went to a different office and filled out the application as first name=Billy George, it would work? Then when your greencard is issued, get your SSN card in the greencard name.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

The worry is that if I tell the SSA my first name is Billy George, what's to stop USCIS having the same issue when I tell them my first name is Billy and my middle name is George? Won't they look at all of the same evidence SSA looked at and question what I've put on the form? By which I mean, if I put first name: Billy, middle name: George, on my AOS form, will USCIS turn around and tell me that it looks like my first name is actually Billy George, with no middle name?

Edit: Just remembered, on what you said about the passport being chipped BillyGeorge, I've noticed that whenever I'm checking flight itineraries my name comes up as Billygeorge, when I first saw it, I thought it was a mistake with the airline so I called my travel agent and asked if there'd be an issue and they told me there wouldn't. So when it's happened other times I just shrugged it off as nothing, so potentially my passport could say my first name is Billy George?

Edited by B&L

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

ah - you will be BillyGeorge forever, until you get the data in chip replaced. or get a new passport.

Those UK Passport Agency Workers - SO SLACK !

Timeline

Does that mean if I fill out the data on the AOS form as First name: Billy, Middle Name: George, I'd likely get an RFE? I never got one during my K1 process...

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

lets back up, one more step.

On your passport bio page, your name is printed with >> characters around it.

If it's got >>Billy>>George>> then the UK Agency gave you two names and the chip is messed up.

If it's got >>BillyGeorge>> then you are BillyGeorge worldwide.

so, take a look, tell us what you got ?

Timeline

I don't have it on me right now, but I belive it was Billy>George>>SURNAME, with just one instead of two.

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

check it, report back. -500 points for not storing the scan online in cloud storage ..

Timeline

Checked it, then realised I had a scan on my PC I forgot about.

Anyway, it's as I said, SURNAME<<BILLY<GEORGE. With just the single arrow between Billy and George.

K1 Timeline:

21st Feb 2013 - NOA1

4th Jun 2013 - NOA2

7th Aug 2013 - Medical

5th Sep 2013 - Interview

4th Dec 2013 - POE SFO

Timeline

ok - maybe the chip is wrong...

However, since DoS thinks yer name is BillyGeorge and yer passport bio page says Billy George, I still think you can get some change at a CBP office, and suggest you pursue that on Monday, asking a CBP human to update your SAVE database record. Go In Person.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.