Jump to content

Can a Mexican divorce his American wife in Mexico?


4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I am a Mexican citizen currently residing as a Legal US Resident in Illinois.

I married a US Citizen. However, I do want a divorce. This will be a no-fault divorce, HOWEVER, I was reading that IL law for no fault divorce states that one must be legally separated for at least 2 years before being divorced.

This sounds ridiculous to me. What a joke. How come Kim K and Kris Humphries got divorced after 72 days and I have to stay married for 2 more years before I can divorced?

So because of this, I was wondering if I could just go ahead and use my Mexican citizenship to obtain a divorce in Mexico from my American wife.

I know that for US Citizens, going to Mexico for divorce can be tricky since Mexico requires a few hoops to jump through.

But what about actual Mexicans wanting to divorce from Americans? Anyone know about this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)

As a resident of Illinois, you must divorce there. You cannot file to divorce in another jurisdiction, even one where you hold citizenship.

I presume that your husband is also a resident of Illinois and is not a Mexican citizen. A Mexican court would not have jurisdiction over him. He is neither a Mexican citizen or a resident of Mexico. There is no way for a Mexican court to hear a divorce for a non-Mexican who is a non-resident.

The most convenient place for a divorce is the state where you are both residents. It's also where you must file.

You are totally mistaken that you must wait 2 years to file for a divorce. NO ONE IS FORCED TO BE MARRIED. It may take many months for your divorce to be finalized, but it does mean that you must wait 2 years to file.

Edited by aaron2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica

Sorry you didn't read that correctly. If both parties wants the divorce its 6 months of seperation but you must do it in writing both of you. If just one party wants it you must have been seperate for a minimum of 2 years. You must be a residence for at 90 days.

Keep it Real

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...