shayrene

Unable to get SSN number

5 posts in this topic

Hi VJ,

We went to the SSN office yesterday after 2 weeks of my fiance being here. They were unable to issue him a SSN number because Immigration had him in the system as a F-1 Visa and not a K-1 Visa. She told me that it will be 4 weeks before this is resolved. She can not issue a SSN number because his status is incorrect in the computer. I can't believe this. I am going to call USCIS now and probably make an INFOPASS appointment. My Fiance has several possiblities for temp work in computers, but he needs a SSN number. URGH!

Agencies do not talk to each other, which means that we are screwed in the end. I don't think my Fiance can sit around the house that long.

Any other suggestions would be most welcomed.

K-1 Journey

3/09/06 K-1 petition sent to Vermont

3/22/06 NOA1 received

4/17/06 NOA2 Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/21/06 NVC received/ Sent to Paris

5/06 returned to NVC, je ne sais pas pour quoi

7/6/06 IMBRA RFE

7/11/06 RFE received at VSC

8/18/06 NOA 2 Reapproved!!!!!!

9/12/06 Packet 3 arrived

9/22/06 Packet 3 sent

10/28/06 Packet 4

11/29/06 Interview/ APPROVED!!!!!

12/05/06 US arrival JFK POE

AOS/EAD Journey

12/19/06 SSN applied for

1/20/07 SSN card received in mail

1/23/07 Civil Ceremony

4/3/07 I-485 and I-765 sent

4/11/07 NOA1 received

6/15/2007 EAD production of card

6/24/2007 EAD received

6/27/2007 AOS approved!!!!

7/2/2007 Green Card Received!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/14/07 Baby Arrives 7:44pm

11/03/07 "It's a Family Affair" wedding

I-751

4/28/09 mailed to Vermont

5/11/09 receipt letter, I-751 received by VSC

6/12/09 biometrics Baltimore

8/4/09 approval letter

8/11/09 email, card will be sent within 30 days

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You must be very frustrated over the error. It sure makes you wonder how the USCIS employees get and keep their jobs. They make sooooooooooo many errors.

I think making an Infopass appointment is the right route to take to try to get this resolved.

It's too bad that there were employment opportunities available if only you had the SSN card.

Good luck for a speedy resolution.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Timeline

shayrene,

??? Agencies do talk to each other - that's how the SSA knows that your fiance is incorrectly identified in the USCIS' database as F-1.

In your situation you'd be better off, not screwed, if the agencies did not talk (and were not required to talk).

Yodrak

Hi VJ,

We went to the SSN office yesterday after 2 weeks of my fiance being here. They were unable to issue him a SSN number because Immigration had him in the system as a F-1 Visa and not a K-1 Visa. She told me that it will be 4 weeks before this is resolved. She can not issue a SSN number because his status is incorrect in the computer. I can't believe this. I am going to call USCIS now and probably make an INFOPASS appointment. My Fiance has several possiblities for temp work in computers, but he needs a SSN number. URGH!

Agencies do not talk to each other, which means that we are screwed in the end. .....

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi VJ,

Agencies do not talk to each other, which means that we are screwed in the end. I don't think my Fiance can sit around the house that long.

Any other suggestions would be most welcomed.

Perhaps you can talk to the temp agency about the SSN - it's not really a requirement if you read below . . .

Employer I-9 Compliance in a Nutshell

For whom is a Form I-9 unnecessary?

• Individuals performing casual employment who provide domestic service in a private home that is sporadic, irregular or intermittent;

• Independent contractors (see Employer Information Bulletin 110)

• Workers provided to employers by individuals or entities providing contract services, such as temporary agencies

(in such cases, the contracting party is the employer for I-9 purposes)

NOTE: An employee may not be able to provide a social security number if the Social Security administration has not yet issued the individual a social security card.6 This information block is optional. Therefore, an employer cannot require an employee to complete it.

What I meant about agencies do not talk to each other is that they can not help you with your problem. They can not call someone at the other agency to help you with your problem. Being able to look on a computer screen to see the problem, but not communicate with that agency to fix the problem is not working together.

Here is what I found out to help anyone who this may happen to:

I called USCIS and they told me to make an INFOPASS appointment. Made the appointment today and went to the office downtown. USCIS said that they could not help me. We would have to go to the POE and have them correct it there. I told them his POE was JFK. Did we have to go all the way to New York to fix the problem. She told me no, that I could go to BWI. So, we left and went to BWI. It was difficult to find someone to help point us in the right direction. We went to the Immigration and Customs Border. We told him our problem. He had him fill out a new I-94 form and corrected it on the computer. We will have to wait 2 weeks again for it to be in the system for the SSN number. However, when I was at SS office this week, I got a phone number and contact so that we won't have to go back to the office to complete the form.

K-1 Journey

3/09/06 K-1 petition sent to Vermont

3/22/06 NOA1 received

4/17/06 NOA2 Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/21/06 NVC received/ Sent to Paris

5/06 returned to NVC, je ne sais pas pour quoi

7/6/06 IMBRA RFE

7/11/06 RFE received at VSC

8/18/06 NOA 2 Reapproved!!!!!!

9/12/06 Packet 3 arrived

9/22/06 Packet 3 sent

10/28/06 Packet 4

11/29/06 Interview/ APPROVED!!!!!

12/05/06 US arrival JFK POE

AOS/EAD Journey

12/19/06 SSN applied for

1/20/07 SSN card received in mail

1/23/07 Civil Ceremony

4/3/07 I-485 and I-765 sent

4/11/07 NOA1 received

6/15/2007 EAD production of card

6/24/2007 EAD received

6/27/2007 AOS approved!!!!

7/2/2007 Green Card Received!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/14/07 Baby Arrives 7:44pm

11/03/07 "It's a Family Affair" wedding

I-751

4/28/09 mailed to Vermont

5/11/09 receipt letter, I-751 received by VSC

6/12/09 biometrics Baltimore

8/4/09 approval letter

8/11/09 email, card will be sent within 30 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.