Joel M

Determining course of action (K1 vs K3)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Admittedly, I was a bit nervous about posting here. However, I could really use the advice.

I have recently been immersing myself in all the information about the K1&K3 visas and sorting it out is quite the task. For the last seven months now I have been in communication with a young lady in Vietnam. On April 24th 2014 I will spend five weeks with her. The issue is whether or not to get married there or to merely become engaged.

Though, a little background information is in order. I am in my junior year studying computer science and also work full-time. For the last two years I just happened to work predominantly with Asians. To keep it short, we all got along well and it wasn't long before I was asked about communicating with a relative in Vietnam.

One thing to note, is that we have been communicating primarily in Vietnamese, only one or two e-mails have been written in English. We probably should write more in English, right?

Now, most of the people I have talked to who have done this before went the spouse route, though, most did it more than fifteen to twenty years ago. That is the route I would like to go with. I would like to marry her when I am there in Vietnam. It would be good for her, so that her parents can be at the wedding.

Time is not an issue for me. Next year is my senior year, so a long wait time on the visa is acceptable. I would be happy no matter what, if she comes before or after I graduate. Though, I assume working and going to school would become much harder while trying to help a wife adjust to a new culture.

I am sorry for making this so long. But, I need to know if marriage in Vietnam is truly the best route.

1) In terms of processing which is easier to complete?

2) Overall, which would be the best way of ensuring she would be able to come? I have heard stories of people who could not bring their spouse over because of suspected fraud and etc. I need to know what kind of risks there are in marrying her there and then bringing her here and how to avoid them?

Thank you,

Joel

Edited by Joel M

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The important thing is that you comunicate- whether in Vietnamese or English, it doesn't matter.

K3 is obsolete- you'd either choose the K1 fiance visa tor the CR-1 spousal visa. K1 you can start as soon as you met, but is more expensive long term than the CR-1, and means she cannot work right away when she gets here. Another consideration though is that it may be important for her family to see her getting married, in which case choose the CR-1 and get married in Vietnam

Vietnam is a very strict consulate. There are some rules in Vietnam in regards to how an engagement should be don (Damn Hoi party etc), and you need to follow them to have a good chance of visa approval. Being introduced by a relative can be a red flag, the government may think that relative is paying you to marry the girl and get her a greencard, so make sure you have lots of bonafide relationship evidence. More than one trip to see her (before her visa interview, which will be about a year after you file) would be good Be sure to read our regional forum for local experiences: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/136-vietnam/

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Red flag for both visas.

And yes, Vietnam is difficult to get approved through and you will still need a lot of bonafide evidence.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thank you very much for the information.

Instead of starting a new topic, is it possible to have this one moved to the Vietnam Regional Discussion forum? So that I can get information specific to Vietnam and the steps I need to complete.

Here are my main questions:

1) Specifically for Vietnam, does the CR-1 seem practical for my situation?

2) Would I need to make more than one trip to Vietnam? That is, after the first trip and the marriage, would a second be necessary?

3) Other than the standard procedures for the CR-1, what steps would I take specifically for Vietnam to ensure it goes smoothly and ends well?

4) This ties into the above question, but what specific risks should I be aware of?

5) Are there any information resources available other than this website that focus on Vietnam?

Any information you have to offer would be most appreciated.

Timeline

***** Moving from What Visa to Vietnam forum per OP request ******

mod penguin.jpg

Thank you very much for the information.

Instead of starting a new topic, is it possible to have this one moved to the Vietnam Regional Discussion forum? So that I can get information specific to Vietnam and the steps I need to complete.

Here are my main questions:

1) Specifically for Vietnam, does the CR-1 seem practical for my situation?

2) Would I need to make more than one trip to Vietnam? That is, after the first trip and the marriage, would a second be necessary?

3) Other than the standard procedures for the CR-1, what steps would I take specifically for Vietnam to ensure it goes smoothly and ends well?

4) This ties into the above question, but what specific risks should I be aware of?

5) Are there any information resources available other than this website that focus on Vietnam?

Any information you have to offer would be most appreciated.

Are you Vnese? (since you mentioned the 2 of you communicated minaly in VNese)

How was your G/F introduced to you? by a family member? Does she have ANY relative(s) living here in the US? Is she currently sponsored by anyone with an immigration petition. ie her immediatel relatives, sibblings, etc.?

Don't rush! Take time to develop the relationship. The time you spent to make sure she's compatible and genuine with you will also help your petition in the long run!

No, I am not Vietnamese nor Asian. Though, I spend 40+ hours a week with Vietnamese co-workers, so I get lots of time to practice the language. But, admittedly, I cannot read her letters entirely without assistance. I just told her, though, that we should start writing in English. She is a college student so writing English is no problem for her.

Also, yes, it was a family member, her great aunt. She has no immediate family in the United States, but she does have lots of family here. That includes cousins, aunts and uncles, second cousins, great aunts and uncles and so on. None of them have tried to sponsor her.

No, I am not Vietnamese nor Asian. Though, I spend 40+ hours a week with Vietnamese co-workers, so I get lots of time to practice the language. But, admittedly, I cannot read her letters entirely without assistance. I just told her, though, that we should start writing in English. She is a college student so writing English is no problem for her.

Also, yes, it was a family member, her great aunt. She has no immediate family in the United States, but she does have lots of family here. That includes cousins, aunts and uncles, second cousins, great aunts and uncles and so on. None of them have tried to sponsor her.

IMHO, that is BAD news for your case/petition. None of them (her distant relatives) can legally sponsor her to come here, the US. But to the US Consulates, they are the REASON why she might be interested in someone like you to get here, the US.

If she has graduated college and being employed and making good living (owning her place is a plus, if so), then your case is perfect. But in the eyes of the US Consulate officers, she is among the MANY other VNese college-age students who desire to go to the US to finish their education but can't on their own (don't have enough $$$ or have no immediately relative to sponsor). The EASIEST way to accomplish their goals is via spousal Visas.

Go through the proper VNese custom, first visit to meet each other, then the "Engagement" cereomony on the second trip. If both of you are single, never been married before, try the K-1 route. Otherwise, do the third trip for an official wedding. Then file a CR-1.

You're looking at at least 1 year from now to even think about filing your petition, whatever route you choose. Best of luck!

Edited by DreamNHope

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.