Cazwik

Traveling Overseas with a Green Card? (South Korea)

3 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

I had a question that possibly one of you could answer.

My wife from the Philippines is now in the U.S with as a Green Card Holder. Recently I got orders to south Korea. Before I moved , I sent her to my mother's house because she can't drive and needed help with the 2 kids. My plans were to bring her here. Originally she was going to come on government expense, but when I got DLA to move her to my mother's temporarily, ( Even though I asked them there if that would effect my wife's travel to Korea in which they answered "NO" ) government funds won't cover her Command sponsorship unless I pay her way here out of my pocket. No problem... except..

Since she does not have military orders will she have a hard time coming and going back to the US? If she comes we will be here for over a year... and will she even be able to enter Korea with just a U.S green card...

If anyone has any experience with this... could you please share your experience and what precautions I should take ?

Sincerely

~Chad

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings all,

I had a question that possibly one of you could answer.

My wife from the Philippines is now in the U.S with as a Green Card Holder. Recently I got orders to south Korea. Before I moved , I sent her to my mother's house because she can't drive and needed help with the 2 kids. My plans were to bring her here. Originally she was going to come on government expense, but when I got DLA to move her to my mother's temporarily, ( Even though I asked them there if that would effect my wife's travel to Korea in which they answered "NO" ) government funds won't cover her Command sponsorship unless I pay her way here out of my pocket. No problem... except..

Since she does not have military orders will she have a hard time coming and going back to the US? If she comes we will be here for over a year... and will she even be able to enter Korea with just a U.S green card...

If anyone has any experience with this... could you please share your experience and what precautions I should take ?

Sincerely

~Chad

I had the same problem before. My husband is stationed in Japan which requires a Visa like South Korea. Since she's just a GC holder, she is still considered as Filipino citizen and therefore she will need to get a Visa to enter S. Korea.

She has 2 ways to obtain Visa to enter S.Korea:

1) Go to the nearest military base from where she lives and apply for No-Fee Passport. See details here.

2) Go to the nearest S. Korean embassy and apply Visa as usual. See details here.

// OUR K1 VISA JOURNEY //

12/29/2012 - I-129F Packet Sent
01/09/2013 - NOA 1
06/19/2013 - NOA 2
07/12/2013 - Our Case Was Shipped to NVC
07/19/2013 - Called NVC And Got A MNL Case Number
07/22/2013 - Scheduled Interview Online (August 12th)
07/29-30/2013 - SLEC Read my Medical Exam Review
08/12/2013 - Interview Read My Review | Documents I prepared | Tracking my Visa status
08/16/2013 - Visa On Hand Pick up via 2GO MOA
08/27/2013 - CFO seminar and sticker Read my CFO experience
09/01/2013 – POE To U.S.
09/14/2013 - Got married

// AOS Journey //

10/03/2013 - Sent AOS Packet via USPS Priority | My AOS Packet

10/10/2013 - NOA 1 received via text and email (AOS, AP, and EAD) AOS Acceptance 10/09, AP and EAD Initial Review 10/07

10/14/2013 - NOA received via mail (AOS, AP, and EAD)

10/21/2013 - Letter for Biomettrics appointment received

11/04/2013 - RFE from checking online

11/07/2013 - Biometrics

11/08/2013 - Received the RFE letter in the mail & sent RFE on the same day!!

11/14/2013 - RFE respond received

12/04/2013 - I-485 Family-based Card in production (a.m.) then went to Decision (p.m.) - NO interview

12/09/2013 - Green Card was mailed!

12/11/2013 - GC received! 2 months and 1 day from the NOA1

Read how we expedite our case

// EAD/AP //

Terminated as Green Card was approved first.

You can also view my Timeline

This whole situation happened to me and my husband last year. We opt for me to stay with in laws here in US since we cant leave our house longer than that. I did visit him though through unaccompanied travel. I mailed my passport and application to the closest South Korea embassy for a tourist visa (and its free since my SP is active) . I was even allowed to use SPACE A by myself so that sure saved a lot of money. Goodluck.

sweet_cat_and_chicken.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.