Chandu1975

AOS Green Card interview experience

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I want to give my experience at federal plaza New York, for green card, AOS Interview. My appointment was at 12:45pm. i took my 8 months old baby regardless of any discouraging views. We ( myself, baby and wife who is US citizen) left the bronx and reach there in the building about 11:35. The waiting room has a few couples, it is a huge room, but with little amount of people. At about 1:30 my number called then we went to a door on the left to be greeted by a Caucasian male about in his 40s. He lead us to his window view office and told us to raise our hands and swear; he then look down at the baby and said " hey yu have to swear also" I held the baby's right hand and said I swear. I know he was pulling off a joke so I follow on with him. He ( the IO interviewing officer ) then told us that he is not gonna keep us long here because he knew we were waiting a while outside and the baby probably wants to be changed. IO ask for IDs and joint documents and I told him I have no EAD or SSN so there is nothing joined with me and my wife ( no bank account, insurance no utility bills, rent agreement etc) , , but nevertheless, we have the rent agreement, and utility bills all in my wifes name which we took and he took them and keep asking what else, so I gave him all the copies of files that I have submitted and the original and he said I don't need original because he trust me( yeah I smile). I gave him about 50 pics of me, my wife and family and told to keep all of them on file. Question time...some question from i485, my wife's name, birthday, wife other child's name, school age, and grade. He also ask wife's parents name and date of births. Ask my wife if she met my son who is back home in my country and she said yes. Showed her a pic and ask who are these people and my wife told them they are my husbands parents. Ask if my parents approved of her and she said yes... Basically he asked the stuff from both g325,I-130 and 485...he asked also about my wife's income, which was a good thing I remember, since I typed the documents. I must add that we had no lawyer. At one point the IO stepped out the room to copy the lease and a few other docs I never bother to copied, whilst doing so he called out to the baby and said she is in charge. He came back and rap things up...and before yu know, he was telling us about how to apply for the permanent GC and when I should file for citizenship. He conclude by directing us to the bathroom in the event we wanted to change the baby. I will rap up by saying that I believe having kids together gives the applicant a very high chance of approval...I further believe that all files are reviewed before you are called in for and interview......don't always follow negatives about IO, some of them are ok,,,just hope to get one that is always in a good mood or catch one at the right time. Thanks to the other posting that help me to keep my cool and I respect and thank the IO for being polite and understanding.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

My category is F2A but interview might help.
Just came back from AOS interview: Went very well but file held for further review.

Interview was at 11:15 @ Newark field office but we reached at 10:15. Security check was little headache as they were taking only 10-14 people at a time in the building via security. You have to wait outside the door till the lot ahead of us get finished with their security check.

10:45 we completed our security and reached upstairs where lots of couples and other naturalization candidates were waiting. Gave interview letter to window no 1. and waited for our turn.Many of the couples ahead of us were separated just before the interview.Either spouse was sitting in waiting area and other was interviewed inside.

We were waiting anxiously for our name to be called. Nearly @12:25 they announced my name and called us at window 4. A white guy (our IO) in his fifties told me that he has not forgotten us. We are the next. But he has to take a break for 15-20 minutes for restroom use and need to review our file than after.

We were called in with in 15 minutes. At the door another IO was standing. Our IO told him to give a way to his clients and that make us all smile. IO standing there told us the our IO has forgotten to take his medicine today and might act high.We all laughed. (These jokes made us very comfortable & relived our anxiousness.)

In the office he made us to take the oath and offer us seats. (By that time he was already having paper in his hand informing 'case held for further review' that I saw)
IO: Your I-130 is already approved so this will not take more than 5 minutes.(and it did not)
Asked for our Ids. Conformed our address. Than he told us that he met his grandchildren last weekend so he is very excited and happy. (We were hoping for that)
IO: to my wife: Do you mind if I call you dear sweetheart? She smiled and said she dont mind.
IO to me: Do you mind? We all had a smile.
IO to my wife: Do you work?
My wife: No (My wife is my sponsor)
IO: Than I have to check your affidavit of support and that looks fine.
IO to me: It seems you have changed you I-20 student status once.
Me: yes
Than he just conformed my birthday and told us that he sees every thing fine.He checked all our already submitted documents and said there is nothing missing. From my side I am approving you but I don't have any visa available right now with me. I will give this file today evening to my supervisor recommending approval. And than he gave us that letter stating file held for review.
He was very nice throughout the process and at last he told us to get lost and we all can have a nice day. We all laughed at that movement. With a firm handshake we left his office.

(Overall he made this interview very easy and made us comfortable.Did not asked any other questions. Did not see any of our documents or photos that we took with us. Just told that whatever you submitted already is enough. I think whoever is having I-130 approval before their interview might be having more or less same senario.)

I dont know. He already had the paper stating "file held for further review" before interview even started (I saw that). He also told that he will recommend his supervisor for approval. But did not gave an written approval rather than gave just an oral approval. We are Still little confuse. He also told that you will receive your green card in 2-3 week but no approval letter.protest6wz.gifprotest6wz.gif

Edited by bhesas01
I-130

2 jan 2013 - file posted Chicago, IL
4 jan 2013 - file delivered chicago, IL
7 jan 2013 - e notification received case sent to VSC
12 jan 2013- NOA-1 receiver form I-797C (PD: 7 Jan 2013)

16 Aug 2013- Case transfered to Nebraska service center
19 Aug 2013- NOA for transfer
23 Aug 2013- NSC started working on case
2 Oct 2013- Alien reg # changed notification
3 Oct 2013- Approved E-notification NOA-2dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif
I-485 ( with I-131 & I-765)
14 Aug 2013- Package sent to Chicago, IL
16 Aug 2013- Delivered Chicago, IL
21 Aug 2013- e-notification received for all 3 cases
25 Aug 2013- NOA-1 dated 21 Aug 2013 for I-485 (19 Aug for I-131 & I-765)
26 Aug 2013- Finger print notice Dated 18 Sep 2013
18 Sep 2013- Biometrics complete
24 Sep 2013- Case Status change: Testing and Interview

16 Oct 2013- Notification for interview 19th November 2013dancin5hr.gif dancin5hr.gif

24 oct 2013- EAD and AP approved and combo card in production

2 Nov 2013- EAD and AP combo card arrived

19 Nov 2013- Interview completed. File held for further review.protest6wz.gif

20 Nov 2013- Status changed- ordered card production dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif Finally 11 month long visa journey with happy endingdancin5hr.gifrofl.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Introducing our Members to WST-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Commentary on AOS interview~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My timeline

Aug 5. Application sent

Aug 12 biometric notice received

Aug 24 RFE ( medical )

Sept 5 Biometric appointment done

Sept 16 RFE sent ( medical )

Oct. 16 interview notice received

Nov. 19 interview attended and on spot approval.. 10-15 mins interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.