mota bhai

America losing moral authority while Obummer sleeps at the wheel

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

By Kristin Lord and Paul J. Saunders

The United States is not just a great power, but an idea. Americans like it that way and we are justifiably proud of an exceptional if complex history. Particularly during the twentieth century, moral authority became one of our nation's most important strategic advantages, a source of strength that pulled allies closer and proved difficult for adversaries to challenge. The value of this strategic advantage endures today. Losing it could do more to harm American power than any realistic military or economic threat on the horizon-and regaining it could take decades.

U.S. moral authority has suffered real damage over the last two decades. There are many reasons for this, ranging from well-intended military interventions that have produced mixed results, to perceptions that the United States has applied human rights standards inconsistently, allegations of torture and other abuses like those at Abu Ghraib, a major financial crisis, and apparent political dysfunction within our own borders.

The existential confrontation between democratic capitalism and communism (never actually that simple) has ended and a decade has passed since the 9/11 attacks. Though a wide range of threats still loom, few appear existential, raising new questions about whether America can continue to justify what many consider extraordinary means.

Even U.S. allies and friends like Germany, France and Brazil have objected forcefully to the scope of National Security Agency intelligence gathering operations as well as some prominent targets. It is unclear what intelligence would justify offending an important ally like German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who called President Obama to complain that her cellphone was monitored.

Indeed, this episode could have serious practical consequences if U.S. friends limit future cooperation or impose stringent privacy restrictions on American firms to satisfy angry populations. It may also undermine counter-terrorism cooperation and standards of openness on the Internet ... a network of authoritarian governments and developing nations persists in challenging the U.S.-supported institutions that establish norms and practices for the Internet. This movement has in its sights the open Internet that promotes commerce and allows dissidents to remain anonymous. Will the United States be able to credibly defend these standards as its security agencies monitor millions of people around the globe?

Most dangerous of all, however, may be the growing perception – one that spans the ideological spectrum – that the United States shows too little concern for international rules and norms. Many are especially troubled by the U.S. use of force, whether on a large scale or in unilateral, low-level drone attacks, as well as by the monitoring and intelligence gathering from even our closest allies.

The impression that U.S. leaders have a casual disregard for international rules and norms undermines American leadership.

Strengthening America's moral authority should be an important goal of U.S. foreign policy, and it must be attempted honestly and seriously if it is to succeed ... we can earn moral authority only by delivering demonstrably moral outcomes, abroad and at home.

Restoring the power of the American example will be no easy task – balancing immediate national security concerns, like transnational terrorism and cyber threats, with America's overarching reputation and values, is simply hard to do. But it might prove easier if American leaders remember that these values are fundamental to American power.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/18/the-danger-of-americas-declining-moral-authority/

The idea that the US (or any country) can claim broad 'moral authority' is just bizarre. That's romantic nonsense and entirely subjective. Might work in the pages of a comic book, but history tells a very different story.

You are just covering up for the failures of The Kenyan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

No one said the American Empire would last forever, but I contend through global surveillance, various instruments of war and non-war battle (be they missiles, drones, raids and proxy wars), and control over the global financial system that US hegemony has never been stronger. Moral authority? It's an "exceptionalism" myth. This would be the case no matter who was in the White House.

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

No one said the American Empire would last forever, but I contend through global surveillance, various instruments of war and non-war battle (be they missiles, drones, raids and proxy wars), and control over the global financial system that US hegemony has never been stronger. Moral authority? It's an "exceptionalism" myth. This would be the case no matter who was in the White House.

Apologists for The Kenyan are out in full force today.

Where my patriots at?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

By Kristin Lord and Paul J. Saunders

U.S. moral authority has suffered real damage over the last two decades. There are many reasons for this, ranging from well-intended military interventions that have produced mixed results, to perceptions that the United States has applied human rights standards inconsistently, allegations of torture and other abuses like those at Abu Ghraib, a major financial crisis, and apparent political dysfunction within our own borders.

The impression that U.S. leaders have a casual disregard for international rules and norms undermines American leadership.

IMHO you can't lose that which you do no possess. America has never had any moral authority and the very foundation of our nation is anathema thereto. As a nation America was not conceived to exert moral authority over other nations, a policy which bode well until we realized that isolationism would only bring conflict to our shores.

The impression that US leaders have a casual disregard for international rules is more than a perception, for in many instances it is true. It is true of Obama, as it was true of possibly every president before him. Most of the issues we face today, in terms of bad PR are cause by the fact that no matter what America does, it will always be criticized.

In that sense, the elusive and nebulous moral authority the op-ed references was never meant to be earned by the US, so much as it was bestowed on America by the world community, albeit unrequited. America was, is and remains a great idea and that gives our leaders all the authority they need to do as it fits our designs and interests, both financial and political.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

This thread is for patriots only. Please show yourself out.

In that case I am in the right place. I am one of the very last of the True Patriot® Real American™ individuals left to walk the earth..

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't see where Obama lost us any good will abroad, he just didn't get back what we lost with Bush. Too bad because many abroad had high hopes for something special or at least some fence mending - An I'll timed world economic implosion might have made that impossible but still it is a missed opportunity.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

I don't see where Obama lost us any good will abroad, he just didn't get back what we lost with Bush. Too bad because many abroad had high hopes for something special or at least some fence mending - An I'll timed world economic implosion might have made that impossible but still it is a missed opportunity.

and to be fair, the list goes all the way back to George Washington himself. However, any US president is backed up by the authority and prestige the Oval Office entails.

What does however help give America a bad rep with the international community are the nutjobs such as the Palins, Pauls, Bachmans, Cruzes and their ilk, who presume to speak on behalf of an entire nation when they disgorge their bigotry and ignorance on the airwaves.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The idea that the US (or any country) can claim broad 'moral authority' is just bizarre. That's romantic nonsense and entirely subjective. Might work in the pages of a comic book, but history tells a very different story.

Well said.

Good moral when he has never been accepted by many as the president nor as an American? Yea right. How can you expect other nations to respect our president when the people of the U.S. won't?

Publicly calling him liars, making monkey sounds and such.

How would you like it if you felt you were an American and everyday I saw you I referred to you as " the Indian?"

I also agree with other posts above. Every country will never be happy with us. Have you ever been around delegations? Very hard to please people sometimes.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

and to be fair, the list goes all the way back to George Washington himself. However, any US president is backed up by the authority and prestige the Oval Office entails.

What does however help give America a bad rep with the international community are the nutjobs such as the Palins, Pauls, Bachmans, Cruzes and their ilk, who presume to speak on behalf of an entire nation when they disgorge their bigotry and ignorance on the airwaves.

I say Bush because what was intact when he came in was not when he left.. Not just speeches, but policy.. Such as shipping people off to another country to be tortured for information.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect