Dayna

Ankara: US Embassy - I-129F process

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just received a letter from the NVC that my husband's I-129F petition was being mailed to the embassy in Ankara, the consular section will soon send him a packet, and a case number was assigned.

I have a couple questions, hopefully someone can help!

1. Will they send him an agent form so that he can choose me as his agent? If so, who sends it - NVC or Ankara? Will it be included in the packet?

Where will it need to be mailed back to - NVC or Ankara?

2. Will the documents in the packet be English or Turkish? My husband doesn't know English (I know Turkish luckily), so I am worried he may have trouble completing the forms!!! :unsure:

3. How many packets will they send?

4. Will they schedule his appointment after they receive my financial support papers or before?

Thanks!

Dayna

09/29/06 - I-130 petition mailed
12/13/06 - NOA2 - APPROVED
10/27/06 - I-129F petition mailed
03/27/07 - Interview in Ankara, Turkey - VISA APPROVED
04/01/07 - POE: JFK
05/07/07 - Mailed AOS forms
05/31/07 - Biometrics - Dover, Delaware
10/04/07 - Interview in Baltimore, Maryland
10/25/07 - GREENCARD ARRIVES!!!
10/25/07 - Applied for SSN
11/02/07 - SSN card arrives in mail
09/12/09 - Mailed I-751 forms (GC expiration date: 10/4/09)
09/19/09 - NOA1 Receipt letter received received
10/20/09 - Biometrics - Dover, Delaware
12/19/09 - NOA2 - APPROVED
01/09/10 - 10 year GC arrives

02/25/14 - DIVORCED DUE TO ABUSIVE HUSBAND

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

I just received a letter from the NVC that my husband's I-129F petition was being mailed to the embassy in Ankara, the consular section will soon send him a packet, and a case number was assigned.

1. Will they send him an agent form so that he can choose me as his agent? If so, who sends it - NVC or Ankara? Will it be included in the packet?

2. Will the documents in the packet be English or Turkish? My husband doesn't know English (I know Turkish luckily), so I am worried he may have trouble completing the forms!!! :unsure:

4. Will they schedule his appointment after they receive my financial support papers or before?

Thanks!

Dayna

No choice of agent form that I am aware of for a K-1.

Everything will come from the consulate and not NVC. Everything goes back to the consulate and not NVC

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi Dayna,

Actually the agent form is done for a I-130, not I-129F.

He will also receive the forms in both english with the reverse side in turkish in the Packet 3 and yes, they will schedule his appointment after they receive your financial support form I-134.

Good Luck to you both in your visa process.

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Hi,

Thanks!

Dayna

We just had our K3 interview on Nov. 1st.

It took about 2 weeks for my husband to get his packet from Ankara.

He called the embassy with some questions including the info needed on the I-134 form and since I was coming for the interview they said he could send the rest of the packet back and I could bring the I-134 with me to the interview. He sent back the copy they sent him with just name and address info filled in with a post-it note attached that I would be bringing the ompleted form with me.

If they accept the packet as complete he will get a notice of when the interview date is. Since I was going to be there (and I needed to make plans at work to be off and to get plane reservations and hotel restevations) I emailed them about 4 days after they received it and they sent me an email back the next day with the interview date in it....he lived in a small village and mail/ups takes forever to get there. They said we could use the email as the official letter to get into the embassy if needed. They received our packet on Oct. 4th and our interview was on Nov. 1st so it was not quite a month for us.

He sent me by fax all (most) of the documents they sent him and we spent a long night online filling in the forms together...that worked pretty well for us...they said they did not get his translated birth certificate in the packet but I had an extra one at the interview, (eventhough I saw him put everything in the envolope, we took duplicates of everything we sent, as we will probabaly need them when we go back for the CR-1/IR-1 interview next year) and they had him fill out another form at the interview window which was in Turkish.

Ankara seems to update their interview website about every 2 weeks so you can also check that after he has sent the packet back.

Good Luck on you Journey,

Michele

OUR K-3 INTERVIEW WAS ON NOV. 1ST @ 10:00!!!

VISA APPROVED!!!

WE ARRIVE IN THE USA ON NOV. 10TH!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

hey Dayna? are you Turkish-American? or you just studied Turkish for a reason. I have never seen an American(not the ones living/lived in Turkey) who speaks Turkish. If he doesnt speak english, your turkish should be fluent. Can you tell us more about your story if you dont mind? it sounds interesting:)

my wife is Turkish - American from Turkish parents. thats how she speaks Turkish fluently but I went to the US for school at young age and lived there long I have 2 tongues(Turkish & English) as well. We speak English when with people , not to be rude but we speak Turkish when we need privacy lol you will enjoy this once he learns english too lol

good luck with the process

• 2 weeks later...
hey Dayna? are you Turkish-American? or you just studied Turkish for a reason. I have never seen an American(not the ones living/lived in Turkey) who speaks Turkish. If he doesnt speak english, your turkish should be fluent. Can you tell us more about your story if you dont mind? it sounds interesting:)

my wife is Turkish - American from Turkish parents. thats how she speaks Turkish fluently but I went to the US for school at young age and lived there long I have 2 tongues(Turkish & English) as well. We speak English when with people , not to be rude but we speak Turkish when we need privacy lol you will enjoy this once he learns english too lol

good luck with the process

Hi substance,

I'm American, and how I learned Turkish is a longggg story...

A couple of years ago, I was working for a company that was owned by a Turkish family here in USA. I became good friends with one of my female

coworkers, who was from Bursa. She returned to Turkey and had invited me to come visit her. Before my trip to Turkey, I got a job as a waitress

in a Turkish restaurant to learn some of the language and foods. I spent hours of studying Turkish language books, listening to tapes, and practicing at work. I made some new friends with my Turkish coworkers and customers, one of which became my best friend. He later introduced me to his cousin via telephone, who is now my husband, Ali.

I went to visit my friend in Bursa, and learned some more words/sentences. When I got back to USA, it was when I was introduced to Ali.

I had seen photos of him and thought he was very handsome. My Turkish wasn't very good at this time, but Ali didn't know English and I wanted to get to know him better. I would study for an hour or so before I would call him, making a list of questions in Turkish to ask him. Eventually, I picked up on how Turkish grammar worked. Later on, Ali and I would chat on MSN, but I always had seslisozluk.com in an open window to help translate any words between us.

After a few months, I went to Turkey to meet Ali. The first couple of weeks was very difficult for us, my English-Turkish/Turkish-English dictionary always open. That lasted a couple of weeks. But soon after, we didn't need the dictionary as much because I had learned enough words that we could communicate, even though my Turkish grammar was terrible! LOL

This year, I spent 6 1/2 months total in Turkey (1/2 in Istanbul, 1/2 in Giresun), with my husband and his family, and nobody spoke English. So, I had to learn quickly in order to talk to his family if he wasn't there. Plus, all that time with only Turkish tv and everyone speaking Turkish around me, all I could do was sit there and listen and try to understand. I've learned a lot of phrases/slang which you won't ever find in the language study books I found here in USA bookstores. I even learned how to recognize accents or slang within Turkey... someone is from Trabzon/Black Sea region or West/Istanbul area.

My husband is from a small hazelnut village near Giresun, so he also taught me some village Turkish! LOL

BUT, I wouldnt say that I am 100% fluent. My Turkish is good enough to communicate effectively with Ali, his family, in restaurants, markets, etc... but I

do have problems understanding if someone is speaking too fast.

I do agree that speaking Turkish together is a good tool for privacy. I started a new job a few months ago, and I would talk on the phone with my husband in Turkish. My coworkers were curious of what language I was speaking and who was I talking to... I would just say I was only nagging my husband in Turkish so that no one could understand! LOL

It's great! I can complain about the people around me and they have no idea! LOL

Or if I'm in public with my Turkish inlaws, we can make private comments to each other and the Americans around us don't have a clue!

What is also very funny to me, is that because my inlaws here in USA all speak English, I don't speak Turkish around them that much. Mostly because

I feel a little embaressed, they like to correct my errors. They think I don't understand and will speak Turkish, but then translate everything to me

even though I understood everything.

Well, that's my story!

09/29/06 - I-130 petition mailed
10/27/06 - I-129F petition mailed
03/27/07 - Interview in Ankara, Turkey - VISA APPROVED
04/01/07 - POE: JFK
05/07/07 - Mailed AOS forms
05/31/07 - Biometrics - Dover, Delaware
10/04/07 - Interview in Baltimore, Maryland
10/25/07 - GREENCARD ARRIVES!!!
10/25/07 - Applied for SSN
11/02/07 - SSN card arrives in mail
09/12/09 - Mailed I-751 forms (GC expiration date: 10/4/09)
09/19/09 - NOA1 Receipt letter received received
10/20/09 - Biometrics - Dover, Delaware
12/19/09 - NOA2 - APPROVED
01/09/10 - 10 year GC arrives

02/25/14 - DIVORCED DUE TO ABUSIVE HUSBAND

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Merhaba Dayna,

Very impressive story!

I too am learning, not as quickly as I would like....but learning. I have found that the Turkish language is so beautiful and love to hear my husband talk, for hours and hours. I have been listening to Turkish music and poetry for a few years now and have picked up how to speak it, but putting the meaning to it can he a little harder for me.

If we decide to move back to Turkey, I too am sure it will come much faster :)

Just wanted to let you know how I enjoyed reading your post.

Iyi Gunler...

Peace to All,

Debra

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.