Teya

Local Driver's licence while on K1 with AOS pending

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

But for K-1 people, they will have a period of time they cannot drive regardless, because even if they can get a driver's license, it expires when their I-94 expires, which is 90 days after entry. And they cannot get another license until they get their AOS EAD, which they will not have gotten by the time their I-94 expires, because the EAD usually takes 75-90 days, and they can't apply for it until after they marry and get the certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Not all K-1 people have a period of time where they can't drive. It all depends on the state they are living in. When Wawa came he was able to drive the whole time since he already had a license and he also had the international permit which was good for up to 1 year in IN. Everybody needs to check the rules of their state when deciding if there will be a period of time where they can't drive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Indiana is 180 days.

I am not aware of any State that allows you a year.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have to check but I think my wife's Russian license is good for some years yet, and the international permit is also rather fresh.

Indeed, if in California they set an expiry date on license or ID card (even though you don't need a social security number to get either!) that's based on the I-94, we'll simply avoid the DMV for now and wait until her AoS is complete. I'd thought that a license would be granted for "in-process" AoS applications but I was certainly wrong in that assumption. headbonk.gif

"все можно если осторожно"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My Mothers side is from GlynNeath, only half Wesh! (Up the valley from Swansea)

I spent more years in the UK Insurance Industry than I care to remember, I had dealing with the US on my multi national clients.

I would put a lot of money on your US Insurer not having a clue about UK Insurance. None of the US Brokers I dealt with did, had to have a basic understanding of US practices so I could see where they were coming from and translate for my UK clients. It is different in many ways.

Usually if you rely on an I 94 the license will only be issued until the expiry of the document, in this case a few weeks.

I used my EAD so my first license expired after a year, then my 2 year GC, and now I have a normal expiry date.

Still can not renew online!

ooh hadn't heard of GlynNeath -- had to look it up! :)

you're correct according to our attorney - if they would even issue it this close to expiration..

my hubby called the UK insurer back and they said he stops being covered around 90 days after getting here so that's the end of this month...

that stinks that no online renewal!

Right but the I-94 for K-1 expires 90 days after entry. That usually means even if you can get a driver's license, it expires at that time; many states won't even issue a driver's license with that short a validity.

yup - correct. dang. I'm starting to regret not trying to do the walk-in biometrics early to speed up the EAD process - at this point, our appt is next Monday so I guess we'll just keep it but they certainly don't make it easy with this transition...I think the end of this month until we get the EAD, we will not have him drive...

In the interim, while we await my wife's AoS outcome, she can tool around LA with her Russian driver's license and international translation/permit. Hubby will sit in the passenger's seat barking out "merge! merge!" and other necessary commands for surviving the LA freeway free-for-all.

laughing.gif thanks for the chuckle on this Monday morning. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.