TJandJR

cost of lagos wedding?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you made the proper posting of marriage before the wedding. If you did not they can declare that the relationship is for immigration purposes ( not a valid marriage ) We visited there and the lady in charge of the books that day and one of the guards were from the same area and told us so much. They gave us quite a tour and told us what days the embassy comes by to review the postings and make notes so they can check that the weddings are per Nigerian law and not something created on the fly for immigration purposes.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you made the proper posting of marriage before the wedding. If you did not they can declare that the relationship is for immigration purposes ( not a valid marriage ) We visited there and the lady in charge of the books that day and one of the guards were from the same area and told us so much. They gave us quite a tour and told us what days the embassy comes by to review the postings and make notes so they can check that the weddings are per Nigerian law and not something created on the fly for immigration purposes.

So in other words I need to be there for 21 days for the proper posting of the registry and the interview. And I can expect to have my wedding ceremony a day or two afterwards? My boss is not going to be happy when I ask for almost 4 weeks off work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The posting has to be hanging for the correct amount of time. I believe that he can make the posting without you being there. It is like in the states where you have to get a marriage lic X days before you get married. You can't go the same day and marry if there is a waiting period.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

So in other words I need to be there for 21 days for the proper posting of the registry and the interview. And I can expect to have my wedding ceremony a day or two afterwards? My boss is not going to be happy when I ask for almost 4 weeks off work.

No, the posting has to be on for 21 days at the registry. You don't have to be there for 21 days.

My Wife, then Fiancee, had done all the paperwork ahead of time. I married 3 days after I arrived in Nigeria since everything was all set up but properly.

Curiously the CO asked specifically about this, as an FYI, she wanted to know why we got married so soon after I arrived in Nigeria. For us we had set a date in mind thinking that we would receive the K1 visa. So all we did was move the venue ~8,000 miles away. She smiled.

So if you only get 2 weeks vacation, you can get married and then throw in a mini honeymoon to tour Nigeria. He'll know where it's safe to take you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks. Won't be much sight seeing. We're both pretty broke. Last time I was there we just took walks, visited friends, cooked together and watched tv. Oh, and stayed up talking, talking, talking. A special evening out for us was walking around the corner for a beer or a soda. But when you're in love, even simple times are magical. Thanks again. I get tired just thinking about starting a process over, the forms, the money, the waiting. But then I remember the joy waiting at the end of the road. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.