TJandJR

cost of lagos wedding?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

While I'm waiting to save the money to go back to Lagos to get married (thanks to our k1 denial) I thought of some questions. What are the fees that need to be paid for the filing and marriage ceremony and license and anything else that's required? I'm not talking about the visa fees. I'm asking about the cost of a Nigerian civil wedding.

I can't tell you how upsetting it is to think I will have to leave and be separated from my husband and still have no guarantee our spousal visa will be approved. But I know a lot of you had to do it.

Really, at this point I don't even know what I'm suppose to be doing about the k1. VJ family, should I be calling about it? Are they going to tell us why we were denied? And I mean specifically and not some stupid generic "failed to convince the stupid co of bonafide relationship blah blah'.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

A civil wedding doesn't cost much. Someone must post the bonds the proper amount of time before the wedding. I think that is 3 weeks but someone can correct me As all things Nigerian this can be taken care of for the correct "tip" but with a denial you will want to do everything by the books. For the wedding you can show up in whatever and they do the vows right there. You will want someone taking pictures. You can have any dinner or party of your choosing afterwards here is an interesting article http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/12123-at-ikoyi-registry-parents-cost-n5-000-per-marriage

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Very interesting article! It's a shame there are "parents and family" to "rent". No wonder everything is under suspicion. But I'm still unclear about how much money we need to have for the whole process, registry, oath, ceremony, marriage license. I know about the tips and negotiating prices but I need some idea of how much. And Glean we will do everything as proper as we know how to. Thanks.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

yes it doesn't cost that much, let your fiance visit the ikoyi registry, they'll give him/her the list of the required documents, he can go ahead and get them down, submit them and they'll do an interview for the two of you. like Gowon rightly said , NO SHORTCUT!

wishing you the best

Timeline

In my own case I was charged N7000 because my wife is a Nigerian with a Nigerian background but before then I told the man that attended to me at the registery that my wife will be coming from the USA and he said I have to pay N25000 because they immediately concluded she was a white woman, if not that I have done some research online before going there I would have been talked into pay as much as N25000 and to make matter worst I was asked to pay the N25000 to a police man that I strongly believe does not have any thing to do with the affairs of the registery other than to provide security.

At the end I also observed that the official reciept wasn't up to the N6000 that I paid as everyone their are after what they can't get out of you legally or illegally.

Whatever bill your man gets tell him to bargain!

Timeline

In my own case I was charged N7000 because my wife is a Nigerian with a Nigerian background but before then I told by the man that attended to me at the registery that my wife will be coming from the USA and he said I have to pay N25000 because they immediately concluded she was a white woman, if not that I have done some research online before going there I would have been talked into pay as much as N25000 and to make matter worst I was asked to pay the N25000 to a police man that I strongly believe does not have any thing to do with the affairs of the registery other than to provide security.

At the end I also observed that the official reciept wasn't up to the N7000 that I paid as everyone their are after what they can't get out of you legally or illegally.

Whatever bill your man gets tell him to bargain!

Timeline

It's about $100 or less filing the usual 21 days before wedding so they can post the announcement.

You will be required to bring on wedding day butter cookies (my fav in those cool tin cans), juice and non-alcoholic wine. Yes you bring the registry a gift.

Everything after the ceremony is up to you reception, party or a nap. LOL (we had to go wo work right after).

As far as the K1 you may or maynot find out anything since most K1's don't come with explanations and such and usual will expire before you can even act on t. I mean don't they have just a 6 month shelf life. That's why many just get married and start anew.

Success though to refile as married is higher especially of its just the "didn't prove a bonafide relationship". Sometimes the CO just doesn't believe the couple will make it to the altar so getting married dispels all that.

But you can always stay on top of your casefile and follow it. You might find out some things. Why not get your congressman or Senator on it for you.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Well I did contact my senator and congressman and sent the authorization/consent forms and received no reply or acknowledgement. Grrrr. The government "shut down" just a couple days after our denial. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. The denial was Sep 25 so it's probably too late for them to intervene. I hope the percentage of approvals for the denied k1's that go back with a spousal visa is higher than the k1 approvals. All these replies are very helpful. Thank you. I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road. The trip seems far away in my mind. Not everyone in love is rich and I make many sacrifices to pursue this. And I'm sure we all do. I'm so not over my anger at the CO that interviewed. My blood boils every time I think about it. I've got to let that go and move forward.... But @!#!! #!@&@!!!!!! !! There. I feel a teeny bit better.

Timeline

Well I did contact my senator and congressman and sent the authorization/consent forms and received no reply or acknowledgement. Grrrr. The government "shut down" just a couple days after our denial. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. The denial was Sep 25 so it's probably too late for them to intervene. I hope the percentage of approvals for the denied k1's that go back with a spousal visa is higher than the k1 approvals. All these replies are very helpful. Thank you. I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road. The trip seems far away in my mind. Not everyone in love is rich and I make many sacrifices to pursue this. And I'm sure we all do. I'm so not over my anger at the CO that interviewed. My blood boils every time I think about it. I've got to let that go and move forward.... But @!#!! #!@&@!!!!!! !! There. I feel a teeny bit better.

And don't let that article scare you if you plan to marry at other registries. They are all regonized in nigerian and US. If not we all would be in alot of wahala. ;)That is alot of rubbish going around only Ikoyi wedings will get approved (when i see more of them get denied hmmmm). Anyway wherever your fiance' is local registry will do.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Call them back to confirm that they received your assistance request /authorization/consent forms. The should contact you within a week or two, hopefully.

When I sent mine, I called to confirm that they received them the next day and was told I should hear back from them in about 2 weeks.

Also, I don't know if this will work or not, but send an email and put Attention IV Chief followed by your case number to see if you can get a response from someone higher up in Lagos. I read about it on Nairaland where the consular officer was telling an individual to do it to have the IV Chief look at something for them.

e49zd36va.png
08/09/12 - Married in Lagos, Nigeria
USCIS:
10/23/12 - I-130 Delivered/USCIS Priority Date

01/17/13 - NOA2 Date (85 days)
NVC:
02/05/13: NVC Received
02/21/13: Received Case number/IIN

04/09/13: Case complete

US Embassy Lagos

XX/XX/13: Embassy received

05/06/13: Medical Completed, Need to do Sputum Test

05/15/13: Sputum Test Done - Now the dreaded 8 week wait

06/13/13: Interview Date - Postponed pending results of Sputum Test

07/26/13: Received Medical Report - Negative Result for Sputum Test; sent request to get interview rescheduled
08/21/13: Interview scheduled - ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING

10/15/13: Medicals Expire

10/21/13: Congressional Inquiries/Requests for Assistance

10/29/13: Hubby received email Administrative Processing is Complete

10/30/13: Hubby rec'd call from Consulate to drop off new medical and passport; Medical Completed

11/05/13: 2nd Sputum Done - 8 Week Wait Again!!!ranting33va.gif

01/17/14: 2nd Medical Done;Medical Report available for pickup

01/21/14: Hubby dropped off medical and passport. Consulate was closed on the 20th. Was told to pick up visa on Tuesday

01/23/14: CEAC Status says ISSUED

01/28/14: Visa in hand, paid USCIS Immigrant Fee

01/31/14: POE Houston, TX

03/04/14: Applied for SSN - Not in SAVE

03/06/14: Green Card Production

03/14/14: Received Green Card via Priority Mail

05/03/14: Received SSN - Had to wait for DHS verification

ROC

12/29/15: Express mailed I-751

12/31/15: I-751 Receipt Date

01/05/16: Fee cleared account

Timeline

Wow incredible,I didn't hear about this,I married my spouse @ festac registry in feburary I hope God sees me through.

I've been to festac. We walked there several times from his apartment. How long did your fiance need to stay in Nigeria for the wedding. I can not take a lot of days off from work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.