FherJess

Is having smoked CIGARETTES grounds for k1 denial?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

At the medical, in our case Ciudad Juarez Mexico, I'm sure they will ask my fiancé if he smokes (or has ever smoked) tobacco.

He has but not in a LONG time.

Would telling the dr. "yes" be grounds for them to deny or to assume that he smokes other things as well: marijuana?

Those of you whose fiancé/e have admitted to tobacco use, was it an issue?

Thanks for any info!

(we were gonna have him say "no he's not smoked cigarettes but in our initial I-129F petition, I sent some Whatsapp chats where his avatar is him with an unlit cigarette in his mouth. I just realized this so now I'm telling him he SHOULD admit to cigarette use years ago but is no longer a cigarette smoker....any thoughts??)

P.S. Im kinda paranoid about very minute details in this whole process, hence the reason for this long winded post! :)

Lots of people smoke. Lying about anything can get you in trouble. If he uses drugs but claims he doesn't it may show up in the blood tests and you will be screwed, so don't lie about it, if he is a drug user he can't and shouldn't get the visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You should never lie. Cigarettes are not illegal. He can say he used to smoke cigarettes but quit however many years ago, which is the truth. My husband smoked at the time he had his medical. Tobacco use is not a reason for a visa denial.

~ Moved from Embassy and Consulate Discussion to K-1 Process- topic is about K-1 medical and what constitutes K-1 visa denial : Unanswered duplicate topic in another forum removed- please only post a topic once ~

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

You should never lie. Cigarettes are not illegal. He can say he used to smoke cigarettes but quit however many years ago, which is the truth. My husband smoked at the time he had his medical. Tobacco use is not a reason for a visa denial.

~ Moved from Embassy and Consulate Discussion to K-1 Process- topic is about K-1 medical and what constitutes K-1 visa denial : Unanswered duplicate topic in another forum removed- please only post a topic once ~

Thanks Kay :) the interview is 2 weeks from today and we're getting more & more excited!

Filed: Other Timeline

Cigarette smoking has nothing to do with medical,

be for real ..if Dr say have you ever taken drugs/smoked marijuana

the answer is NO (if he has not) I've never heard of them asking

about cigarettes if that was so more than half of applicants

that smoke cigarettes would be denied, so talking cigarettes

is like apples & oranges when it comes to this medical, so trying

to say cigarette smoking may lead to a denial don't ring true

unless one's been smoking marijuana & seeking to lie about it with

feedbacks from others to sanction lie-img

Timeline

Cigarette smoking has nothing to do with medical,

be for real ..if Dr say have you ever taken drugs/smoked marijuana

the answer is NO (if he has not) I've never heard of them asking

about cigarettes if that was so more than half of applicants

that smoke cigarettes would be denied, so talking cigarettes

is like apples & oranges when it comes to this medical, so trying

to say cigarette smoking may lead to a denial don't ring true

unless one's been smoking marijuana & seeking to lie about it with

feedbacks from others to sanction lie-img

As far as I know they do ask at the medical whether or not he smokes cigarettes. He will tell them he does not, which wouldn't be a lie because he really DOESN'T.

If they ask him if he's EVER smoked CIGARETTES then yes, he will say that he had many years ago.

When he is asked about drug use, he wil be honest and state the truth: no drug use at all, ever.

Thanks for the replies!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It is a medical exam, not too unlike an annual physical. They will most likely ask about current or past smoking habits. They ask every single time I have to fill out a form when I see a new doctor or have to update forms with an old one. It is a question regarding one's health. Saying that you used to be or currently are a smoker is not a reason to deny the visa of course, but saying smoking and being asked about it has nothing to do with the medical is not quite accurate.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

Correct I think all check ups the doctor ask about smoking

due to health concern heart, strokes etc I think the poster was

trying to say at the visa medical cigarette smoking is not grounds

for denial and I've never seen anyone posted been asked about

cigarette habits, also OP may just be overly concerned.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.