MayMay68

Packet 4 received and Interview date set!!!

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

So excited!!! Interview is October 22nd!! Here is the letter they sent for those of you who are still going through the process.

Thank you for the notification that you have all the documents needed in connection with your application for a K1/K3 visa.

All intending immigrants are required by United States law to undergo a medical examination. Complete instructions for the examination are contained on the attached sheet. This includes children of any age.

All members of your family immigrating with you must appear with you on the appointed time and date. If you cannot keep the appointment, please notify this office immediately so that the space can be allotted to another applicant.

Please read carefully the attached “Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration” (Optional Form 230). Fill this form out completely, using a typewriter or printing in block letters, but do not sign it; you must do that in the presence of a Consular officer. Every numbered part of the form must be completed. If any part does not apply to your case, write in “Not Applicable”. Do not use dashes or the letters “n.a.” or other abbreviations to complete such parts. A separate form must be completed for each member of your family who plans to immigrate with you.

We wish to remind you that you must bring all of the original documents that you have been requested to obtain, according to the list on the form OF‑169 in order to make your formal application for an immigration visa. Your application cannot be approved if you do not have the complete documentation. All civil documents must be Original or Certified True Copies, i.e., they must be issued by the competent government authorities, with their seal of office affixed. Photocopies of documents that have been certified as true copies by a lawyer, the South African Police, the Postmaster, or a Notary Public are not acceptable. Each applicant must submit two color passport-size photos, measuring 2x2 inches (roughly 50mm square) with white background on glossy paper, un-retouched, and un-mounted. The photographs must be full-face view in which the visa applicant is facing the camera directly. Photos are required of all applicants regardless of age.

Additionally, the following original documents are required, as appropriate:

· Valid passport, (including previous cancelled/expired passports)

· Long-form Birth Certificate(s) for applicant, spouse, and children showing names of both parents

· (A South African birth certificate must be computer-generated; a hand-written birth certificate will NOT be accepted)

· Police certificate/s

· Military Record/Certificate: Required only if you have previously served in the military, ie. prior to 1994, or furnish proof that you were exempt from this requirement.

· Evidence of financial support or notarized offer of employment. (Form I-864 is required in family-based petitions)

· DS 230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration)

· Long-form Marriage Certificate, giving marital status before the present marriage

· (A South African marriage certificate must be computer-generated; a hand-written marriage certificate will NOT be accepted)

· If applicable, also give any marriage certificates of any previous marriages

· Death Certificate: Death certificate of spouse if applicable.

· Divorce Decree(s): if applicable ALL Decrees of any previous marriages

· Medical(s) : PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR X-RAY PLATES

· Application fee of $350 payable at the U.S Consulate General during the interview. You may pay by credit card, CASH dollars or rand equivalent. If you have paid $140 at First National Bank, you will be required to pay the difference at the Consulate during your interview.

All documents which are not in English or in Afrikaans must be accompanied by sworn translations into English.

Affidavits of support and evidence of prearranged employment must be no more than 6 months old when presented to the consular officer at time of application for an immigration visa.

A child, 16 years of age or older, who is included in his parents’ passport but whose photograph does not appear in such passport, must obtain a separate passport.

MOST IMPORTANT

No assurance can be given in advance that a visa will be issued. Only after all your documents have been reviewed, your medical examination completed, and you have signed and sworn to your formal application and have been interviewed by the consular officer, can a decision be reached by the consul officer as to your eligibility under the law to receive an immigrant visa.

You are advised not to make any travel arrangement for departure from this country, not to dispose of your property and not to give up your job until the visas has been issued to you. A visa is valid for 6 Months from the date of issuance, which means that any time within that 6-month period it may be used to apply for admission into the United States.

This office will make every effort to expedite your visa application. It is unlikely that you will receive the visa on the day of your appointment. If approved, you may arrange to have your visa and passport collected the following day, or arrange with DHL, located in the lobby, to have these delivered to you. Should complications arise, you may be required to return to this office another time. It is possible that you will have to spend the entire morning or afternoon in the office before final action can be taken on your application.

Please make certain that your documentation is complete and that you have the original and copies of each document (except for passport and TWO photographs).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Your application for an immigrant visa will be cancelled and any petition approved on your behalf will be cancelled one year after your scheduled appointment if you fail to keep your appointment.

Sincerely,

Keshav Gopinath

Immigrant Visa Unit Chief

BRING ALL DOCUMENTS WITH YOU ON YOUR APPOINTMENT DATE

Congrats! Good luck!!

Spoiler

===============================================

January 06, 2011 - Married in Buenos Aires, Argentina 

July 15, 2013 - Mailed I-130 Packet 

May 13, 2014 - Case complete at NVC 

June 16, 2014 - IR-1 VISA APPROVED at US Embassy in Buenos Aires 

July 15, 2014 - Arrival at Houston and Permanent Residency granted

===============================================

April 24, 2017 - Filing N-400 for Naturalization!  

Spoiler

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K-1 Progress to Sub-Saharan Africa Forum~

~Commentary is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

So excited!!! Interview is October 22nd!! Here is the letter they sent for those of you who are still going through the process.

Thank you for the notification that you have all the documents needed in connection with your application for a K1/K3 visa.

All intending immigrants are required by United States law to undergo a medical examination. Complete instructions for the examination are contained on the attached sheet. This includes children of any age.

All members of your family immigrating with you must appear with you on the appointed time and date. If you cannot keep the appointment, please notify this office immediately so that the space can be allotted to another applicant.

Please read carefully the attached “Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration” (Optional Form 230). Fill this form out completely, using a typewriter or printing in block letters, but do not sign it; you must do that in the presence of a Consular officer. Every numbered part of the form must be completed. If any part does not apply to your case, write in “Not Applicable”. Do not use dashes or the letters “n.a.” or other abbreviations to complete such parts. A separate form must be completed for each member of your family who plans to immigrate with you.

We wish to remind you that you must bring all of the original documents that you have been requested to obtain, according to the list on the form OF‑169 in order to make your formal application for an immigration visa. Your application cannot be approved if you do not have the complete documentation. All civil documents must be Original or Certified True Copies, i.e., they must be issued by the competent government authorities, with their seal of office affixed. Photocopies of documents that have been certified as true copies by a lawyer, the South African Police, the Postmaster, or a Notary Public are not acceptable. Each applicant must submit two color passport-size photos, measuring 2x2 inches (roughly 50mm square) with white background on glossy paper, un-retouched, and un-mounted. The photographs must be full-face view in which the visa applicant is facing the camera directly. Photos are required of all applicants regardless of age.

Additionally, the following original documents are required, as appropriate:

· Valid passport, (including previous cancelled/expired passports)

· Long-form Birth Certificate(s) for applicant, spouse, and children showing names of both parents

· (A South African birth certificate must be computer-generated; a hand-written birth certificate will NOT be accepted)

· Police certificate/s

· Military Record/Certificate: Required only if you have previously served in the military, ie. prior to 1994, or furnish proof that you were exempt from this requirement.

· Evidence of financial support or notarized offer of employment. (Form I-864 is required in family-based petitions)

· DS 230 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration)

· Long-form Marriage Certificate, giving marital status before the present marriage

· (A South African marriage certificate must be computer-generated; a hand-written marriage certificate will NOT be accepted)

· If applicable, also give any marriage certificates of any previous marriages

· Death Certificate: Death certificate of spouse if applicable.

· Divorce Decree(s): if applicable ALL Decrees of any previous marriages

· Medical(s) : PLEASE DO NOT BRING YOUR X-RAY PLATES

· Application fee of $350 payable at the U.S Consulate General during the interview. You may pay by credit card, CASH dollars or rand equivalent. If you have paid $140 at First National Bank, you will be required to pay the difference at the Consulate during your interview.

All documents which are not in English or in Afrikaans must be accompanied by sworn translations into English.

Affidavits of support and evidence of prearranged employment must be no more than 6 months old when presented to the consular officer at time of application for an immigration visa.

A child, 16 years of age or older, who is included in his parents’ passport but whose photograph does not appear in such passport, must obtain a separate passport.

MOST IMPORTANT

No assurance can be given in advance that a visa will be issued. Only after all your documents have been reviewed, your medical examination completed, and you have signed and sworn to your formal application and have been interviewed by the consular officer, can a decision be reached by the consul officer as to your eligibility under the law to receive an immigrant visa.

You are advised not to make any travel arrangement for departure from this country, not to dispose of your property and not to give up your job until the visas has been issued to you. A visa is valid for 6 Months from the date of issuance, which means that any time within that 6-month period it may be used to apply for admission into the United States.

This office will make every effort to expedite your visa application. It is unlikely that you will receive the visa on the day of your appointment. If approved, you may arrange to have your visa and passport collected the following day, or arrange with DHL, located in the lobby, to have these delivered to you. Should complications arise, you may be required to return to this office another time. It is possible that you will have to spend the entire morning or afternoon in the office before final action can be taken on your application.

Please make certain that your documentation is complete and that you have the original and copies of each document (except for passport and TWO photographs).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Your application for an immigrant visa will be cancelled and any petition approved on your behalf will be cancelled one year after your scheduled appointment if you fail to keep your appointment.

Sincerely,

Keshav Gopinath

Immigrant Visa Unit Chief

BRING ALL DOCUMENTS WITH YOU ON YOUR APPOINTMENT DATE

Congrats!!!!

How long did it take to obtain packet 4 once you returned packet 3?

Removal of Conditions

Sept 24 2016 - resent packet (1st attempt arrived 2 days too early due to miscalculation of 90 days)

AOS Timeline

8/9/14- Mailed I-485/131/765 (took a long time to get our Marriage Certificate)

8/15/14- notified via text and email that application was accepted on 8/12 and being processed.

9/8/14- Biometric done; 11/5/14- EAD/I-131 Approved/Card Production

11/5/14- AOS moved to testing/interview; 11/13/14- EAD/AP Combo card REC'D

12/16/14- AOS Interview- APPROVED! 1/3/15- Green card approved.

K1 Timeline

8/16/2013 I-129F Sent via UPS to Lewisville, TX 9/25/2013 Hard copy of NOA 2 received dancin5hr.gif

8/19/2013 I-129F CSC Received 10/29/2013 Got email from NVC with case number (NVC rec'd)

8/20/2013 NOA1 10/30/2013 Left NVC

8/22/2013 Notice that Alien Registration Number was changed 11/04/2013 Consulate Rec'd

8/26/2013 NOA1 Received by mail 11/12/2013 Packet 3 rec'd

9/20/2013 Email notice of NOA2 (31 days)

02/04/2014 After many months of waiting and frustration, FI finally got his birth certificate, passport and police clearance from his home country and we received an SMS today stating that his SA Police Clearance was finalized.

02/18/14 Police Clearance rec'd

2/20/14- Second packet 3 sent to consulate

2/27/14 Followed up with Consulate to get interview date. They schedule an interview for 2/20 when he submitted the application of readiness (what we had to do to extend his NOA2) on 1/21, but they didn't notify us of that appointment, so we missed it.

3/27/14- Interview- APPROVED!!!

4/10/14- FI entered US via LAX and flew to SF 6/14/14- Civil Ceremony

Timeline

YEA!!!!! but 1 question, Ithought a K1 was $240 not $350?? And what are they refering to about the $140? I am seriously confused on all that now.

You and me both. But he will take $350.00 and extra for courier service of visa just in case. Will be thrilled when it's all done.

Congrats!!!!

How long did it take to obtain packet 4 once you returned packet 3?

Ours took 5 days. They emailed him the appointment letter. :)

You and me both. But he will take $350.00 and extra for courier service of visa just in case. Will be thrilled when it's all done.

Ours took 5 days. They emailed him the appointment letter. smile.png

5 days- wow! That's so exciting!!!!

I forget- did you say your fiance emailed back packet 3 or snail mail? Everything really should be done by email these days..

Removal of Conditions

Sept 24 2016 - resent packet (1st attempt arrived 2 days too early due to miscalculation of 90 days)

AOS Timeline

8/15/14- notified via text and email that application was accepted on 8/12 and being processed.

K1 Timeline

8/16/2013 I-129F Sent via UPS to Lewisville, TX 9/25/2013 Hard copy of NOA 2 received dancin5hr.gif

8/19/2013 I-129F CSC Received 10/29/2013 Got email from NVC with case number (NVC rec'd)

8/22/2013 Notice that Alien Registration Number was changed 11/04/2013 Consulate Rec'd

02/04/2014 After many months of waiting and frustration, FI finally got his birth certificate, passport and police clearance from his home country and we received an SMS today stating that his SA Police Clearance was finalized.

2/27/14 Followed up with Consulate to get interview date. They schedule an interview for 2/20 when he submitted the application of readiness (what we had to do to extend his NOA2) on 1/21, but they didn't notify us of that appointment, so we missed it.

Timeline

5 days- wow! That's so exciting!!!!

I forget- did you say your fiance emailed back packet 3 or snail mail? Everything really should be done by email these days..

All emailed :) super excited. Been 7 very long months without seeing him.

All emailed smile.png super excited. Been 7 very long months without seeing him.

Congrats, am really excited for you guys. I'm sure you both are walking on cloud 9 right about now :)

Wedding plans all set?

Removal of Conditions

AOS Timeline

K1 Timeline

Timeline

Wedding plans originally hoped he would have been here already and we wanted to get married October 7, which is the day his dad passed away. Now we're planning for January 7, which is his dad's birthday. We're trying to honor his memory. :)

Timeline

10 more days, so excited for you. dancin5hr.gif You both are in my prayers everyday. Please let us know how it all goes.

Heck, I'm freaking thrilled his medical exam is tomorrow!! The night of the 21st, no way I'll get a bit of sleep knowing his interview is the next day! haha! Cannot wait to book his flight!!!!

Timeline

Medical went well! He just has to pick up his vaccination card from Cape Town before his interview. Apparently they courier a package to him? I don't know what that is, but they have already sent his results of his medical to the consulate in Johannesburg.

Timeline

Medical went well! He just has to pick up his vaccination card from Cape Town before his interview. Apparently they courier a package to him? I don't know what that is, but they have already sent his results of his medical to the consulate in Johannesburg.

congratulations!!! almost there now, just one more step. I bet you can almost smell him, lol.

we just got our case number today and I'm preparing to book my medical. i might call them tmw. any advice for doing so? my mom already couriered over my vaccination records - thank goodness for mothers who keep every single thing. do they just need the case number and that's it?

also, i saw your post about the estimates for the medical being R2 500 max. Would you mind sharing how much you guys ended up paying?

it all seems to be happening so fast now... :)

August 05, 2013 - NOA 1 Texas Service Center

August 29, 2013 - A# changed

October 1, 2013 - NOA 2

October 4, 2013 - Case sent to NVC

October 15, 2013 - Rec'd case number from DoS via phone

October 16, 2013 - Case left NVC

October 25, 2013 - Pkt 3 rec'd

October 30, 2013 - Medical Appointment

November 4, 2013 - Pkt 3 sent

November 4, 2013 - Pkt 4

November 14, 2013 - Interview (Approved)

Timeline

congratulations!!! almost there now, just one more step. I bet you can almost smell him, lol.

we just got our case number today and I'm preparing to book my medical. i might call them tmw. any advice for doing so? my mom already couriered over my vaccination records - thank goodness for mothers who keep every single thing. do they just need the case number and that's it?

also, i saw your post about the estimates for the medical being R2 500 max. Would you mind sharing how much you guys ended up paying?

it all seems to be happening so fast now... smile.png

They will not let you book your medical until you have your appointment letter from the Consulate. I should say, at least they did not allow us to.

You need to arrive 1/2 hour before your medical appointment starts to fill out the paperwork. The Xray was R500, and paid first. Then he paid R1 815 for the Dr, and that included the courier fee.

Please bring along the following items:

• Passport
  • 2 x Identical Colour Passport Photo’s ( American or SA size)
  • Glasses / Contact lenses (If required to correct vision)
  • Vaccination card / Children's Clinic Card
  • If you have any medical or psychiatric conditions, are pregnant or are using any medication, please provide details of such treatment and conditions from your treating doctor, and bring all reports and medication with at the time of your appointme
  • Letter of appointment listing the Case no. & Visa Category
  • A copy of the Police Clearance Certificate

The medical examination will take approximately +- 40 minutes, per person, and you will be directed to an X-Ray facility at a different venue thereafter, so please allow extra time, after the medical, to complete this requirement. You’ll be required to return with those X Ray.

Children under the age of 15yrs have TB Skin tests done (Mantoux's) and will be assessed after 3 days from date of the medical.

The estimated cost of the medical will be +- R1 785.00 – R2 432.00 per adult. (Depending on vaccinations being up to date)

Children under the age of 15yrs - the estimated cost of the medicals will be +- R 1 420.00 - R2 160.00 per child. ( Depending on vaccinations being up to date)

Costs of X rays are paid directly to the Radiologist and balance of medical costs paid to us.

A Courier fee will also be charged for couriering your medical reports to the US Consulate in Johannesburg. The courier fees are R 305.00.

These costs are payable on the day of the medical with cash, credit or debit card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.