chrisandstar

Anyone have airfare advice?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have booked our embassy appointment and are at the stage of looking for airfare. Any advice from veterans out there? Should I book 2 tickets with the ability to change dates? A one way for her? What has worked for you in the past?

I usually use Eva Air from Seattle, they have been outstanding.

Thanks,

Chris

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Two tickets? Are you going to be there for the interview? Great experience if you are going to be there! :thumbs:

Embassy warning - do not book travel until visa is in hand. - end of warning.

One way ticket for you fiancee is just fine.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Two tickets? Are you going to be there for the interview? Great experience if you are going to be there! good.gif

Embassy warning - do not book travel until visa is in hand. - end of warning.

One way ticket for you fiancee is just fine.

1 way tickets can be and usually are higher priced than R/T(no-one has explained why). Check both ways, R/T on EVA (my favorite) was 400$ cheaper than the 1 way. I got her the R/T from Manila-LAX and after we arrived, I called EVA and canceled the return portion. No problems.

Timeline

Thanks, Hank.

Yes, I'm planning on being there. She asked if I would go, and I was thrilled because I was hoping to be there for the interview, and I'm always ready to go back and visit the family and enjoy being over there.

I fully understand the embassy warning, but the difference in airfare is worth the gamble, especially if the tickets can be changed. So far the process has been smooth sailing, but we did death by paperwork and have sent in very organized packets. Keeping our fingers crossed...

Try Eva Air, from Seattle. I hear they're outstanding.

;P

Spoiler

===============================================

January 06, 2011 - Married in Buenos Aires, Argentina 

July 15, 2013 - Mailed I-130 Packet 

May 13, 2014 - Case complete at NVC 

June 16, 2014 - IR-1 VISA APPROVED at US Embassy in Buenos Aires 

July 15, 2014 - Arrival at Houston and Permanent Residency granted

===============================================

April 24, 2017 - Filing N-400 for Naturalization!  

Spoiler

Timeline

Thanks Gary, I'll look at doing the same (except through Seattle). I'm not an enthusiastic flier, but the aircrew and ground crew at EVA really put me at ease. They made it as nice as hurtling through the air at 600 knots in a cattle car can be. I also like their website for checking air fares, there can be quite a big difference by switching a couple of days.

The Hello Kitty terminal in Taipei creeped me out a little bit, especially with the groups of 60 year old Japanese business men in suits lining up to have their pictures taken with Hello Kitty...it's a different world...

We have booked our embassy appointment and are at the stage of looking for airfare. Any advice from veterans out there? Should I book 2 tickets with the ability to change dates? A one way for her? What has worked for you in the past?

Thanks,

Chris

I just don't understand all these people that keep saying that one way tickets cost more than round trip. I just checked several airlines, including EVA Seattle to Manila route and a one way ticket is 481 dollars verses a roundtrip at 813 dollars, both from Seattle on the same dates. It's always a little more per leg when you are buying only one leg biut never in my life have a found a rount trip ticket to be less than a one way. Of course you have to make sure you are comparing apples to apples...same class, dtaes, etc...

Good luck

Thanks, Hank.

Yes, I'm planning on being there. She asked if I would go, and I was thrilled because I was hoping to be there for the interview, and I'm always ready to go back and visit the family and enjoy being over there.

I fully understand the embassy warning, but the difference in airfare is worth the gamble, especially if the tickets can be changed. So far the process has been smooth sailing, but we did death by paperwork and have sent in very organized packets. Keeping our fingers crossed...

FYI, I attended the interview with my wife in Manila. The VISA took 9 business days to be delivered to the MOA 2Go location. There were no holdups of any kind. It just took that long so be prepared,. I had to change our Hawaiian Airline tickets and was forced to pay 75 dollars for each ticket change and we were forced to fly first class, another 450 dollars each because all the coach seats were sold out for over a week. It was cheaper to pay the extra rather than staying in Manila for an extra week. One word of caution about Manila....IT SUCKS! Even my Filipina wife hated it. She is from Cebu and she could tell the difference being in Manila. She pointed out to me what a great big target I was. I* ahd not noticed but we were followed many times by shady characters. Almost every cab driver in town will try to give you a price and not run the meter. Do not let them do this. Make them turn on the meter. Every time a driver gave us a quote we insisted on a meter and guess what, the fare was less than 50% of the "special Price". My wife hated Manila so she never wants to go back there. She felt that everyone was out to cheat even her. Once they see that foreighnor you are a target, accompanied by a Filipina or not. Just watch your back at all times.

Aloha Ke Akua

Timeline

Thanks David. My sweetheart is in Muntinlupa, so for us it's usually a two jeepney ride to MOA. It's not like we have to stay in Manila all the time. Manila reminds me of being in Chicago or New York City, you are in an environment riddled with predators. Muntinlupa is a big place for me, about 450,000 people, but the locals have always been open and kind, and I feel very safe there. Of course, I think everybody there knows and is scared of her grandmother, who introduced us...She's the Seal Team 6 of grandmothers around there...

Timeline

FYI, I attended the interview with my wife in Manila. The VISA took 9 business days to be delivered to the MOA 2Go location. There were no holdups of any kind. It just took that long so be prepared,. I had to change our Hawaiian Airline tickets and was forced to pay 75 dollars for each ticket change and we were forced to fly first class, another 450 dollars each because all the coach seats were sold out for over a week. It was cheaper to pay the extra rather than staying in Manila for an extra week. One word of caution about Manila....IT SUCKS! Even my Filipina wife hated it. She is from Cebu and she could tell the difference being in Manila. She pointed out to me what a great big target I was. I* ahd not noticed but we were followed many times by shady characters. Almost every cab driver in town will try to give you a price and not run the meter. Do not let them do this. Make them turn on the meter. Every time a driver gave us a quote we insisted on a meter and guess what, the fare was less than 50% of the "special Price". My wife hated Manila so she never wants to go back there. She felt that everyone was out to cheat even her. Once they see that foreighnor you are a target, accompanied by a Filipina or not. Just watch your back at all times.

Aloha Ke Akua

Howzit! Bra, go beach, get one tan and dress down when you are there. I wear no jewelry (watch, chains, ring...nuttin) wear Boroboro shorts and tank top. Never been bothered, Not once has anyone spoken to me in English first. (Well, I do admit it helps I'm Asian) in other words, look poor. All my girls family thought I was a farmer or fisherman! Lol!!!

Timeline

Thanks,

Chris

I've used EVA Air for years and they are great. I love how they manage to make it on time for arrivals :) My fiance came last week and used EVA Air going to NY we booked a one way ticket. We actually didn't want to book any flights until his visa was on hand just incase there was any delays in the Embassy. He received his visa on Sept 9 and he booked his Sept 23 flight on Sept 14. I say wait until you get the visa on hand. We paid $700+ for his one way ticket and it included travel tax already so all he had to pay at the airport was the terminal fee.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

03.05.13: I-129F Sent
03.12.13: I-129F NOA1 (Vermont Service Center)
07.12.13: I-129F NOA2 (Petition approved)

08.27.13: Interview - APPROVED

09.23.13: POE to JFK

10.08.13: WEDDING DAY

AOS PROCESS

11.02.13: AOS/AP/EAD Sent

11.08.13: NOA1

12.11.13:Biometrics

01.06.14: EAD/AP combo card received

02.07.14: Received an interview waiver letter

04.18.14: Green Card received

ROC PROCESS

03.08.16: ROC Sent

03.12.16: NOA1

04.04.16:Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.