hjcruz916

Help before filing I-130

31 posts in this topic

Good evening to all!

helpsmilie.gif

I am a 22 year old Dominican US Citizen who recently married my girlfriend of 3 years on December of 2012 in the Dominican Republic. She is also 22 years of age. I love my wife and I am trying to bring her over to the USA to start a life together. I have the following questions:

1. Will our age cause any difficulty in the process?

2. What counts as Evidence of a bona fide Marriage?

3. What is more or less the TOTAL amount in expenses throughout the process.

4. Will i need to go out there for the interview/What is the interview like?

5. How long does the process take on average?

6. How long do i have to be working for Affidavit of Support?

7. What am I to look forward to or expect?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions and thanks in advance!

biggrin.png

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
1. Will our age cause any difficulty in the process?

No, as long as you both are over 18, you're fine.

2. What counts as Evidence of a bona fide Marriage?

Joint bank accounts, lease agreements, utility bills etc. Read the guide on I-130 it will give you more examples

3. What is more or less the TOTAL amount in expenses throughout the process.

Depending on how expensive everything is in your country and fees for getting documents + USCIS fees you're looking at about 1000-2000 US$ for the process.

4. Will i need to go out there for the interview/What is the interview like?

They will ask you several questions, ask for pictures, explain your timeline and stuff like that. Somtimes if all is in order, they will only interview her for 5 minutes and that's it. But I had friends that went through questioning for several hours apart from each other to establish legitimacy.

5. How long does the process take on average?

It can take anywhere from 6 weeks (DCF in Frankfurt) to over a year. Most wait somewhere between 6-12 months though.

6. How long do i have to be working for Affidavit of Support?

You actually don't have to be working at all. You have to meet 125% of the poverty guidline or 5x the amount in assets.

7. What am I to look forward to or expect?

Lots of fun with goverment agencies. Oh, and usually frustration, too.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agree with ^^ expect for #6

YOU don't do anything with the Affidavit of Support, your USC wife does. SHE is the one that needs to do most of this early petitioning stuff.

Click on 'guides' and start reading

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

They will ask you several questions, ask for pictures, explain your timeline and stuff like that. Somtimes if all is in order, they will only interview her for 5 minutes and that's it. But I had friends that went through questioning for several hours apart from each other to establish legitimacy.

So i wont actually be present at the interview over there? Or how does that work?

You actually don't have to be working at all. You have to meet 125% of the poverty guidline or 5x the amount in assets.

How do i know if i meet those requirements, what ARE those requirements? And what do i do if i have no previous tax history?

Sorry, I am just really nervous and trying to make sure i know things well before doing anything.

Timeline

YOU don't do anything with the Affidavit of Support, your USC wife does. SHE is the one that needs to do most of this early petitioning stuff.

The OP is the USC. This means HE does have to file I-864, NOT his wife.

So i wont actually be present at the interview over there? Or how does that work?

Depends on USCIS. If you are with her at the Embassy for the interview be prepared to be questioned. If you are in the US and she is in DomRep, you might be called in to a USCIS office for an interview there.

How do i know if i meet those requirements, what ARE those requirements? And what do i do if i have no previous tax history?

You can read about the requirements here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

You have to provide US tax return for atleast one year. If you didn't file any for the last years, you better get in contact with your CPA and late file them. No tax return, no visa with USCIS.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

You can read about the requirements here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

You have to provide US tax return for atleast one year. If you didn't file any for the last years, you better get in contact with your CPA and late file them. No tax return, no visa with USCIS.

So this applies even if i use another person for the i-864?

Timeline

You will still have to provide the most recent tax return (if having the interview today, that would be the tax return for 2012). I was even asked for the last three years, but only the last one is necessary.

You will still have to provide the most recent tax return (if having the interview today, that would be the tax return for 2012). I was even asked for the last three years, but only the last one is necessary.

So since i only worked in 2011 for less than 6 months before returning to DomRep, do i still have to late file for those taxes?

I just filed my I-130 just a few weeks ago! With the packet I sent pictures throught out the years (especially the ones with fam and friends) phone call logs...Affidavits from a co worker friend and mom and I also made one myself.

To start off the i-130 is $420

then as you move on to the next stages there will be fees involved.

Good Luck if you need any help let me know.

OOOOOOO about the interview, is BEST that you GO with your wife....They do say that you dont have to....But as I read on here is BEST! It helps your case and since Dominican Republic is one of the biggest in fraud I think is best.

I hope what I told you helps. And like I said earlier I just started my process so I am also new at this and if you need help please feel free.....

Good Luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The OP is the USC. This means HE does have to file I-864, NOT his wife.

Sorry, yes, you are right

Thanks

OP - the guides, as well as http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Dominican+Rep&cty=&dfilter=5 might help you learn what to expect. Also, learn all the forms and start reading the instructions for each. Most of your questions will be answered.

good luck

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

So since i only worked in 2011 for less than 6 months before returning to DomRep, do i still have to late file for those taxes?

Every USC is required to file a tax return even if he doesn't live or work in the US. Better get that done.

Timeline

For DR it is mandatory for you to be present at the interviews.

It is not mandatory, it is only recommended.

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/atc-110131.html

It is not mandatory, it is only recommended.

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/atc-110131.html

Well if the Petitioner is not present at the interview in Dominican Rep, which is where mine was. They will give the Beneficiary what they call a "Cita Abierta" Open Interview- which only means that they can come back any time after both parties are able to attend unless they have a very valid reason for the Petitioner to not show up.

Thanks and I speak on topics that I know.

Timeline

Well if the Petitioner is not present at the interview in Dominican Rep, which is where mine was. They will give the Beneficiary what they call a "Cita Abierta" Open Interview- which only means that they can come back any time after both parties are able to attend unless they have a very valid reason for the Petitioner to not show up.

Thanks and I speak on topics that I know.

Please quote a valid source, as the link I posted from the embassy. It clearly states, that it is not mandatory, just recommended.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.