laurenmm17

help, I'm clueless

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

So, let me first say, I am an American citizen. I am female and lesbian. over the summer, I met and worked with a girl from the U.K. she was on a J1 visa. she was allowed to work for a few months then had to go back home. We ended up falling in love and are completely happy. We do not want to rush things and become engaged, however, we do want a chance to continue dating. How is it possible for her to be able to come back for a while? she would like to come back for a year. While she wa here on her J1, she got a social security card. I don't know if that helps her situation or not. Any suggestions?

Please

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from K1 to What Visa forum as OP does not want to get married yet *****

The social security card does not matter- it does not give her the right to live or work in the USA. Since you do not want to get married right now, the fiance (K1) or spousal (CR-1) visa options are also out. Since she had a J1, is she a student? Getting an F1 student visa is quite easy if she has the funds to cover tuition. The only other option is a work visa, but for that she would need excellent experience or qualifications.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Your girl friend can come USA through various visa. As of now you can't approach for family based visa, for work visa she needs to get the sponsorship from the company side. Tourist visa is also one of the option for your friend to come inside the visa but she can't live in US beyond 90 days.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

So, let me first say, I am an American citizen. I am female and lesbian. over the summer, I met and worked with a girl from the U.K. she was on a J1 visa. she was allowed to work for a few months then had to go back home. We ended up falling in love and are completely happy. We do not want to rush things and become engaged, however, we do want a chance to continue dating. How is it possible for her to be able to come back for a while? she would like to come back for a year. While she wa here on her J1, she got a social security card. I don't know if that helps her situation or not. Any suggestions?

Please

A social security card alone does not confer any right to live or work in the US. It does not help with her coming back for a year.

As a UK citizen, she can visit the US for up to 90 days on the VWP. She cannot work or attend school. She is on vacation. She must leave before the 90 days. She may not be allowed back in if CBP feels she s abusing the VWP to live in the US.

A student visa is possible if she has the funds for tuition and living expenses which is around $20,000 to $50,000.

Essentially, if you want to date, then you can visit each other for up to 90 days. If you want her to live in the US for a year, then she needs a visa.

Some visas allows her to work. Others do not. She needs to find an appropriate one. However, it is almost impossible to get a visa for her to come live and work in the US while you are dating. Sorry, but that is how the system works. It focus is on families. If the two of you were to get marry, then it would be easy for her to immigrate to the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.