tommysanfran

K1 though SFO- experiences?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Question: Is it a long drawn out hassle coming into immigration for a fiancee on a K1 visa? My fiancee is not super good in english and also in her twenties so i hope she doesnt freak out and get scared by all the "interogation".

What is the experience likely to be like? Time frame? How long should i expect to wait for her at Arrivals in SFO after her flight lands?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If she has a connecting flight, she's safest in having 4 hours in which to deal with immigration, et al.

Go atop any VJ page, click "Reviews: POE," and read about experiences at SFO.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

SFO was my POE on a K1. It was the quickest I've ever been through immigration. The queue for new immigrants is to the far left as you enter the immigration hall. The 2 podiums were processing people when I arrived. I was next. One of the officers processing US nationals called me over, probably thinking I'd be an interesting break from seeing USC's through, but was disappointed when he saw the K1 as apart from take my envelope off me, there isn't a lot of difference in the process. The longest part of the process was waiting for my golf clubs to arrive on the out of gauge belt LOL.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

This is my experience of my POE in SFO. Do not to be worry because its very pretty easy and faster. I didn't even expect it. My English also is not really good and I am also fly alone from JAk-SFO. Just make sure to prepare everything docs such a passport and sealed brown envelope from the Jak Embassy. Ohhh yea when ur fiancée on the plane might she need to fill up the arrival form. It's quite easy because she can look up from her passport.

Well my flight was landing in SFO at 10:30 pm ( SFO time ). Incidentally I'm in 1st class Cathay Pacific Airline. And everything quite faster for me. And I am the first person out of the plane, I feel little bit nervous and I doesn't know how to walk there. So I decided to wait for another person after me come out. Then I follow him walking for about 3 minutes and I saw a immigration sign. So I follow that sign. After I get there, actually there was quite big line up room. But at that time no people line up there. That guy directly go to immigrant/ citizen line. And I decided go to non immigrant/ visitor line. Directly I go to the immigration officer desk and I give him my passport and the embassy's envelope. He starting review all my docs, take my fingerprint and look at my eyes. He done only in 5 minutes including asking me a couple questions, (what the reason I coming to USA, where is my fiancée ( now my husband ) address, and where we will stay after get out from SFO airport). That's it. After all done he allow me to leave and get my luggage. And I am so lucky because my luggage was went out first. After I get them I headed for the exit, but there is one immigration officer asking for my arrival form ( the arrival form is form i had fill up on the plane ).After I give to him and no any problem at all he show me the way how to exit. After going through 2 doors, I arrived at the arrival hall. And there I saw my fiancé (husband now) with his parent waiting for me. And finally we are together again after 1 year 2 months and 12 days apart.

My husband said its quite faster. They wait not more than 30 minutes from flight landing.

So I don't know what time ur fiancée will arrive at SFO. If I see from the immigration line up is very big there, maybe at day time there was very busy. So probably will take more longer. But if she arrive at a night probably it's quite faster. I suggested u to be there earlier. So when ur fiancée coming out to the arrival hall, see can see u immediately. So she will not be worry or fear. That is my POE story at SFO. Hopefully can help ur fiancée for not be worry. Everything will be fine. Ohhh yea the immigration officer will ask about weather she bring the money more than 10,000 US dollars or not. for me I am answer NO because I haven't bring it. Well just say hi to ur fiancée and welcome to USA soon. My best wishes for both of u.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.