RosaMystica7

France/America couples

2,690 posts in this topic

My fiance just arrived on Tuesday. He is originally from Togo, a francophone country in West Africa, but has lived in France for almost 10 years. He has lived in Paris, Lille and Caen. I am trying to learn French, but it has been difficult. I was with his family this past week and felt lost. But, it is ok because now I have a live-in tutor. LOL.

Check out the foreign embassy forum. I just placed a review of our experience with the Paris embassy.

Chouette!!!! I'm jealous, Shayrene - you're guy is here already. But mine will be in PORTLAND IN A FEW HOURS. He's in the air right now. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I'm taking a couple weeks off and we're going to Vegas to get married. He is the francophone, a native of the Comores islands off the coast of Mozambique. He's been in France 15 years, split between Paris & Marseille. We met June 2995 while my sister and I were vacationing. Language has been interesting! I had some French in high school, he some english in high school. We communicated with my travel dictionary when we first met. Since then I've taken a course from Alliance Francaise here in Portland, and a couple more classes at the community college. I enjoy language so it's been fun. I'm also trying to pick up a few words of his comoran dialect. All in all this has been a life changing experience. Bonne chance to all still waiting.

Hey Sleepless,

It has been a long time since I have emailed you. Congrats on your FI coming today. It is a wonderful feeling. Enjoy every minute with him. We have been together for 3 days now. Everything is new to him including my driving. I never drove when we lived in France. I think I scare him a little, but hey I 've been driving for over a decade. LOL. It is funny that he has been getting more phone calls than me. It seems that all he had to do was call one of his friends and all the Togolais in the USA knows that he is here. I am happy that he is being able to reconnect with distant relatives and in-laws. I'll let you know how he adjusts.

A tout a l'heure,

Shayrene

K-1 Journey

3/09/06 K-1 petition sent to Vermont

3/22/06 NOA1 received

4/17/06 NOA2 Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/21/06 NVC received/ Sent to Paris

5/06 returned to NVC, je ne sais pas pour quoi

7/6/06 IMBRA RFE

7/11/06 RFE received at VSC

8/18/06 NOA 2 Reapproved!!!!!!

9/12/06 Packet 3 arrived

9/22/06 Packet 3 sent

10/28/06 Packet 4

11/29/06 Interview/ APPROVED!!!!!

12/05/06 US arrival JFK POE

AOS/EAD Journey

12/19/06 SSN applied for

1/20/07 SSN card received in mail

1/23/07 Civil Ceremony

4/3/07 I-485 and I-765 sent

4/11/07 NOA1 received

6/15/2007 EAD production of card

6/24/2007 EAD received

6/27/2007 AOS approved!!!!

7/2/2007 Green Card Received!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/14/07 Baby Arrives 7:44pm

11/03/07 "It's a Family Affair" wedding

I-751

4/28/09 mailed to Vermont

5/11/09 receipt letter, I-751 received by VSC

6/12/09 biometrics Baltimore

8/4/09 approval letter

8/11/09 email, card will be sent within 30 days

I live in Washington state, moved here 3 months ago.

I don't really like living in the States and will move back to France as soon as I have the American citizenship, I don't know what I was thinking when I moved here :-/ I guess because my husband doesn't speak French we thought it would be easier for me to find jobs in America but still it doesn't work for me, I never felt depressed like this in my whole life, it's pretty bad *sigh*

I know exactly how you feel. It was the same for me when I lived in France with my fiance. He would come home from work in Lille and I would look so depressed because I had no friends and no job. It is more difficult to find work in France. It will get better. I know that each region of the USA is different. I think that my time in France would have been better if I had been in Paris. Maybe you could research other places to live here or visit if moving is out of the question. Be sure to teach your husband French so that when you do move back to France, he isn't lost and depressed.

K-1 Journey

3/22/06 NOA1 received

7/6/06 IMBRA RFE

9/12/06 Packet 3 arrived

9/22/06 Packet 3 sent

10/28/06 Packet 4

AOS/EAD Journey

12/19/06 SSN applied for

1/23/07 Civil Ceremony

4/11/07 NOA1 received

6/24/2007 EAD received

I-751

8/4/09 approval letter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi there,

I'm not a part of a France/America couple, but I hope I can be a part of this thread anyway!

My husband is from Algeria, but lived the past 10 years in Paris, which is where we met 5 1/2 years ago. I lived there for a year to be with him, and studied at the Sorbonne, which was the best year of my life! I speak French fluently, and French is actually the primary language we speak in our household.

Living in France vs. living in America is quite different. The French are used to free healthcare, a great public transportation system, and a more relaxed way of life. Coming to the US, the healthcare insurance system sucks, public transportation is non-existant in some cities, and most people live for their jobs. However, it's a bit easier to find work here, and I've found (in my experience anyway) that racism isn't as rampant. I love each country, and can see the plusses and minuses of both.

Having said all that, I miss Paris! Amed and I are thinking of going back to settle there once he gets his U.S. citizenship. I was there for a year, though, and had the right to work part-time, and only got one job offer out of the countless jobs I applied for. I couldn't even take that job because I was still waiting on my carte de sejour, and they needed someone immediately. I found that you almost have to know someone in order to get your foot in the door and get any kind of job.

What does the French half of the France/US couple think of being in the US? I know that KittyKat said that she's having a hard time finding work. Did you find it easier to find work in France? Are there things here you appreciate more than France? What do you miss from your home country?

I think this is a very interesting thread!

Edited by MHandMB

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

Filed: Timeline

I think it's too soon to tell why I don't like it, it's an epidermic feeling that I don't belong here and I'm not trying to either. I don't like the food I tried, I don't like celebrations and holidays, I don't like Jesus, I don't like to have to explain to people that their stereotypes are wrong, Xmas makes it worse for me because I don't celebrate it and I'm just NOT into this crazy "Xmas spirit" that is so annoying!!!

The only thing I love in America is shopping because the customer service is great but that's it.

If I don't find jobs it's because I live in a small town and don't drive. I lived in downtown Paris my whole life and never needed to drive. Isolation might kill me I guess, i'm a city person but don't love the closest city either, I miss Paris badly and Seattle is really not attractive.

I made a mistake moving to America that's all there is to it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
What does the French half of the France/US couple think of being in the US? I know that KittyKat said that she's having a hard time finding work. Did you find it easier to find work in France? Are there things here you appreciate more than France? What do you miss from your home country?

I like being in the US, but I guess it's because I love the region where I am. I've been in Texas and Georgia before, but I really love Western North Carolina. Mountains, and human sized cities. The people are different from other areas where I've been too. It's a mixture of neo-hippies, workers and who knows what else. It has a more easy going atmosphere than other places where I've been.

My boyfriend is vegetarian, and I'm now getting used to rarely having meet. We tend to shop at a health/organic/local supermarket, and they have some really good food, and some good French cheese, so it makes things easier ;)

I do miss French bread, croissant (I don't find them as good here) and some types of cheeses that you don't find here. I miss the news from Arte and the cheap medical system. And I miss some of my friends too.

I think it's easier to find a job (except that I don't have a visa that allows me to work yet), but they give more chances to young worker and I know that if I had the proper visa I would already have a job (I almost did, but they didn't want to sponsor a visa :( ).

I think it's important to find an area (geographically) that you appreciate, meet your husband/fiancé's friends, probably get involved in social activities some you get to meet more people and pass your driving license (I have mine, and it really helps). :)

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Hello all,

Luckily, the 24 hour supermarket down the street from me here in Seattle has Bleu de Causses, Roquefort Papillion, and Sel de Ile de Re. I just wish I could find some of that Bretagne butter....

:thumbs:

ehehheh.... :dance: :dance: lucky you!!!!

Here in Chicago I haven't found yet any store which sell french products, I mean I have seen lots of things that brings a french label...but made in USA!!! So obviously they taste different... :crying: :crying:

Hi there,

I'm not a part of a France/America couple, but I hope I can be a part of this thread anyway!

My husband is from Algeria, but lived the past 10 years in Paris, which is where we met 5 1/2 years ago. I lived there for a year to be with him, and studied at the Sorbonne, which was the best year of my life! I speak French fluently, and French is actually the primary language we speak in our household.

Living in France vs. living in America is quite different. The French are used to free healthcare, a great public transportation system, and a more relaxed way of life. Coming to the US, the healthcare insurance system sucks, public transportation is non-existant in some cities, and most people live for their jobs. However, it's a bit easier to find work here, and I've found (in my experience anyway) that racism isn't as rampant. I love each country, and can see the plusses and minuses of both.

Having said all that, I miss Paris! Amed and I are thinking of going back to settle there once he gets his U.S. citizenship. I was there for a year, though, and had the right to work part-time, and only got one job offer out of the countless jobs I applied for. I couldn't even take that job because I was still waiting on my carte de sejour, and they needed someone immediately. I found that you almost have to know someone in order to get your foot in the door and get any kind of job.

Yeah I believe this thread is open to anybody who wants to leave any comment. :thumbs: :thumbs: ..So please feel free to come back so the French network is raising up :dance: :dance: :dance:

According to my short experience in USA (3 months), people here mostly live to work, there are plenty of people who have 2 or more jobs so obviously they don't really have time for hobbies. People look more hurried even "speed" with the French meaning...LOL...

I think I will lose soon the meaning of week-end here since my wife has a flowershop open 7 days/week :help: :help: :help:

But the good sides are that people look more dynamic, enthousiathic...even if sometimes it is too much because reminds me the "american imperialism" something like "the world belongs to them"... :blink: :blink: !!! PAS TAPER OK...LOL

I most miss the french relaxed life, this life after work, the RTT...and definitly all my 40 days vacation!!!! :crying: :crying: ...

Also the food in general, maybe it is me but evert kind of product looks bigger here, taste different...even the pork meat looks and tastes funny :blink:

Also having hard time searching for a job but not desperate yet... :blush: :blush:

Catch you later

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Regarding the question of how the French person likes living in the US. My husband has been here since 2000, and I've actually never been to France. I've heard a lot of what other people said about France from him, good and bad. He seems to like the US, but he can't wait to get his adjustment of status so he can travel back to France for a visit. He actually learned English here in the US, but he speaks English very well. He has excellent vocabulary with a really cute accent to go with it. I would love to learn French, but I haven't picked up much, really nothing. Our plan for right now is to stay in the US. That may change in the future, though.

Anyway, nice to meet other people with similar circumstances. I'd love to keep in touch.

Elizabeth

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey all,

KittyKat & Cecile bring up an interesting thing from our journey.... I am from Western NC, where Cecile is now. My dad lives in a town with no stop-light. That's just fine with me :) I love the countryside.

My wife on the other hand, is like KittyKat - from Paris. She told me straight out that she wouldn't live in a small town, and so we picked Seattle, as it is big enough to have plenty of big-city life, but we've only got to drive a little bit to be out in the woods.

KittyKat - Can you move? With no car in a small town in the USA, its pretty darn difficult! Unless you are a super cyclist....

Cecile - Where are you? I lived in Asheville, Boone, and Crabtree (outside of Waynesville). My wife does like Angelica's restaurant in Boone and Earth Fare in Asheville. She says average French food is better than average american (et je suis d'accord) but that she is amazed by our organic supermarkets, as she's never really seen that before (et ca c'est aussi vrai, meme lorsque nous avons habite a Paris nous n'avons pas vu qqch. comment Earth Fare ou Wellspring - il y avait juste le petit Co-ops).

I do miss the 5 weeks of vacation I had in Paris, but I make SO much more money here.... And, there is so much more wilderness! But it is true that our public transport, even in a city as "left" as Seattle, SUCKS.

a plus tard,

-B

I-130 to Nebraska

Received: Nov 15th 06

NOA1 : Nov 21st 06

Touch: Nov 27th

RFE: Feb 12 07

NOA2 : Mar 1st 07

I-129f to Chicago (for K-3)

Received: Nov 30th

NOA1 : Dec 5th

Touch: Dec 12th

Transfered to CSC : Dec 13th

NOA 2 : Mar 1st 07

NVC sends package to Paris: March 6th

Package 3 arrives: March 23rd

Interview date: June 13

Visa Received: June 20th

AOS and EAD

Mailed EAD: July 9th

Check cashed for EAD: July 17th

Card Production Ordered: Nov 6th

Card Received: Nov 15th

Green Card Interview: Dec 6th

Approved!: Dec 6th

Fougere's Music Thoughts

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
Cecile - Where are you? I lived in Asheville, Boone, and Crabtree (outside of Waynesville). My wife does like Angelica's restaurant in Boone and Earth Fare in Asheville. She says average French food is better than average american (et je suis d'accord) but that she is amazed by our organic supermarkets, as she's never really seen that before (et ca c'est aussi vrai, meme lorsque nous avons habite a Paris nous n'avons pas vu qqch. comment Earth Fare ou Wellspring - il y avait juste le petit Co-ops).

-B

I live in Black Mountain (so pretty much right by Asheville) and last year we lived in Asheville. I really love this area. And yes I do adore the organic supermarkets like Earthfare and Greenlife, it's just so nice to be able to get that kind of food :) I had never seen any like that before either. I can be a vegetarian in the US because of all the fake meat, but I don't think i could in France, it's not as interesting as far as taste is concerned. But then the Asheville area is really well know for it's important vegetarian and vegan community.

I agree with your wife thought, I think the big difference is that we take more time to cook in France, and meals are a family thing where everybody sits down at the table. And with more time and the motivation of sharing a meal, I guess it leads to better meals :P

I've been to Boone once, I don't know Crabtree.

I don't mind not living in a big city, although I did enjoy being in Asheville, because cultrally it's so much better to drive 5 minutes to do things than 45! But we might go back there, it depends on the job I'll get I guess.

Cécile

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

I have another question. For those of you that completed the medical in Paris (physical/vaccinations, blood test, and chest xray) - are the 3 different doctors offices far apart?

Edited by Angilla

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Not French here at all, but a question.

For those of you who filed a K1, which was used at your consulate interview? I134 or I864?

In packet 3, the embassy requested 864. However, when we were at the interview, she told me that I could give her either one. I gave her th 134 so that I could use the 864 for AOS filing here.

K-1 Journey

3/22/06 NOA1 received

7/6/06 IMBRA RFE

9/12/06 Packet 3 arrived

9/22/06 Packet 3 sent

10/28/06 Packet 4

AOS/EAD Journey

12/19/06 SSN applied for

1/23/07 Civil Ceremony

4/11/07 NOA1 received

6/24/2007 EAD received

I-751

8/4/09 approval letter

Hi, I live in Boston, and my fiance lives in Paris.

I'm hoping someone can help with approximate time once Vermont approves I129F petition. Does anyone have some practical experience with this regarding times?

I understand they send it to the NVC, and then they send it to the US Consulate in Paris. Does anyone know how long it takes from there? I haven't seen anyone here trying to get a fiance to the US from France...

In the "timelines" on this website, on the same page one list says 58 days, the other says 76 days.

If anyone has an experience they can share, that would be great.

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.