danielenglish

Hospitality Jobs

15 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi to everyone!

I am new of this forum which I came across in while I was surfing the net smile.png

As a green card holder, I am thinking to move in the United States and settle down over there.

I am an italian lawyer who currently lives in London, attending a master in tourism management with the hope to find a job where I can use my knowledges about the italian law together with the skills I am acquiring in the field of tourism and in the specific sector of employment law.

The idea would be finding a job in the human resources but I stay absolutely open to every opportunity!

I know that it will not be easy but, nowadays, nothing is "easy" smile.png

However, I believe that - in some circumstances - the network is extremely important smile.png that is why I am asking you if there is someone who already works in the Hospitality sector and may help me by giving me some useful suggestion (even websites...or anything else) smile.png

As I said, this represents a new career for me and I would love any advice smile.png

Many thanks in advance for your consideration!!

P.s. I also speak (only) a bit spanish (as it is quite similar to italian!) but I should keep studying it since they told me that, sometimes, it is more required than english (which I also have to improve) !

Edited by danielenglish

Timeline

I have up to 6 months (someone says one year) to settle down there permanently.

However, if I apply for a re-entry permit, I will be able to stay until 2 years outside the States.

Timeline

That's ok.

Nigeria didn't know the GC rules but that's not the point as I'm still looking for some useful website where getting some information for my purpose which, basically, is to understand - as much as I can - the "details" of a career in the human resources field (especially in big hotel chain) together with the relevant legal knowledge (employment law) ..

.. other than doing some networking, of course.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

That's ok.

Nigeria didn't know the GC rules but that's not the point as I'm still looking for some useful website where getting some information for my purpose which, basically, is to understand - as much as I can - the "details" of a career in the human resources field (especially in big hotel chain) together with the relevant legal knowledge (employment law) ..

.. other than doing some networking, of course.

I know the rules better than you , having a reentry permit isn't all that it takes to maintain residence. There are other rules including filing US taxes. A green card isn't something you keep in your back pocket.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

You know the rules better than me?

Well, it doesn't seem, since you wrote that "having a GC without living in the US is against the rules for a GC".

You should have been more precise .

With regard to the full set of rules which one has to comply with: don't worry, I'm well aware.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Really none here?

you will be best served looking to obtain an assistant position in the beginning without any relevant experience

first comes to mind is within the catering department at a hotel.. this will give you the inside training to get that quick new job as a director

regarding HR, most companies are looking for someone with HR training completed. there are many firms that provide certification for this, but it does take some time

hospitality is a good field to look at due to the overwhelmingly large number of positions in the field

good luck

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Timeline

Hi Stevie,

Thank you very much for your precious advice.

I don’t know why but I’m facing lots of difficulties in making my situation clearer or - that is the same - only few people seem to be able to help by giving me good suggestions.

Could you satisfy my curiosity? Do you work in the hospitality sector?

I'm asking you because you are completely right: without any previous experience, I need to start from scratch and I’d be happy to do so because I’m aware that a master degree can’t give me the necessary - practical - insight of the field in which I’d like to work.

Actually, I’m not sure yet whether or not the human resources is “for me” but I see it as the most logical choice, according to my background: qualified as a lawyer with a master in tourism and course in employment law.

With regard to this, you say that many firms provide certifications in HR; do you mean a course similar to the one I’m attending (in employment law) or something more specific?

Also, could you give me some example of companies which are “looking for someone with HR training completed” ?

I appreciate so much your help!

Many thanks in advance.

Timeline

Hi Stevie,

Thank you very much for your precious advice.

I don’t know why but I’m facing lots of difficulties in making my situation clearer or - that is the same - only few people seem to be able to help by giving me good suggestions.

Could you satisfy my curiosity? Do you work in the hospitality sector?

I'm asking you because you are completely right: without any previous experience, I need to start from scratch and I’d be happy to do so because I’m aware that a master degree can’t give me the necessary - practical - insight of the field in which I’d like to work.

Actually, I’m not sure yet whether or not the human resources is “for me” but I see it as the most logical choice, according to my background: qualified as a lawyer with a master in tourism and course in employment law.

With regard to this, you say that many firms provide certifications in HR; do you mean a course similar to the one I’m attending (in employment law) or something more specific?

Also, could you give me some example of companies which are “looking for someone with HR training completed” ?

I appreciate so much your help!

Many thanks in advance.

yip I sure do work in hospitality.. throughout many different parts including hotels

it is possible with the higher degree you will be able to land a bigger job, but that is specific to whatever you are applying for which I am sure you already know

the courses on HR are available in many different forms.. I have a friend who completed one a few years back and is now an HR manager.. if you want PM me and I will see about getting some information on it, but I am also sure it is easily searchable online.

with SO SO many companies needing an HR department.. if you have the certification, there are many different choices in terms of industry

I don't always follow my previous posts, so like I said feel free to PM me if I can help clarify anything for you

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married

"about me"

NVC

6/13/21013 AOS paid

08/28/2013 Case Complete

Embassy

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

Timeline

Thank you Stevie, your words are very encouraging..!

I am currently attending a paralegal programme, just to get the "basic" knowledges about the "case law system" (slightly different from the italian one).

Since you told me that you work in hospitality, I would love to ask you for some clarifications I might have along the road.

In particular, I am looking for an internship which I must do at the end of the master (it will end in one month) and I have no idea on which stage I could do.

Anyway, I will do all the research and then .. if I do not bother you :) , I will write you!

Thanks a lot, again!

Timeline

Thank you Stevie, your words are very encouraging..!

I am currently attending a paralegal programme, just to get the "basic" knowledges about the "case law system" (slightly different from the italian one).

Since you told me that you work in hospitality, I would love to ask you for some clarifications I might have along the road.

In particular, I am looking for an internship which I must do at the end of the master (it will end in one month) and I have no idea on which stage I could do.

Anyway, I will do all the research and then .. if I do not bother you smile.png , I will write you!

Thanks a lot, again!

feel free. . although I do tend to get around to PM's after a few days ;)

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married

"about me"

NVC

6/13/21013 AOS paid

08/28/2013 Case Complete

Embassy

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.