Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Original Birth Certificate needed for I-129F package?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,
We are just starting to get our affairs in order to start the process for the K1 Visa but I have a few questions first--

On the checklist for the I-129F package, it says:

"Copy of the Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport issued with a validity of at least 5 years or a copy of the US Citizen's naturalization certificate (front and back). This is used to establish citizenship."

So... this "copy"... does it mean original copy as in one issued by the county courthouse? Or can it be a copy of my original, as in a photocopy I myself have made? Or could I also send copies of all of the pages in my passport? However does validity of 5 years mean I have had my passport at least 5 years or it has 5 years more until it expires?

I am going to be gathering these documents and sending them FROM nicaragua to the lockbox in dallas, i believe, so i want to get everything correct and if i am needing an original copy from the courthouse, i have to have my mother retrieve that for me from the courthouse in illinois, send it to me, so i can send it to them.

I had brought a "photocopy" of my birth certificate with me back from my last trip to the states (but it's pretty funky... looks to be a copy of a copy...) and then a friend told me it needed to be "original."

Any advice?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It just needs to be a copy of one you already received from the court.

If using your US passport instead, you need to copy the entire passport, ALL pages of it. It needs to be unexpired and needed to be issued with a validity of at least 5 years, is what that means. Yours was most likely ussied with a validity of 10 years, so it is fine.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.