Wizzle

To Send Ammended Tax Return Or Tax Transcript for ROC?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Dear VJ members!

Thanks for your continuous and tremendous support on this forum. I am due for my ROC next month september. I am the beneficiary and my wife is the petitioner. I am beginning to gather all I need for the process, however I am not sure which tax paper work to submit. Our 2011 tax transcript is fine and ready to go.

Here is a brief intro about our 2012 taxes:

My wife started her bankruptcy process earlier this year because her cheque was being garnished from a bunch of debts from her previous marriage, last year we lost our entire return due to this, so she decided not to put me through that again this year, so she decided not to file with me. I came back from work one day this February and she had already gone online to HR block and use the free version of file your taxes to file my taxes with my step-daughter stating me as the head of house-hold! I came back from work and she said she got the taxes done! I was like really? How? Fortunately I pay attention to details and read stuff through. I log online and begin to read, and soon find out head-of-house-hold does not necessarily means I am the head of my house-hold, but something entirely different! She felt bad upon realizing this. Unfortunately we cannot amend it because it was already submitted to the IRS. We rushed to our local HR block the next day to get the problem fixed. We explain to the agent there, who said, there is no problem , all they have to do is File an amendment 1040X. At this point we decided we don't care if IRS takes all the money so we decided to file the amendment Married/filling jointly. It was done right there and then and I charged the HR block service fee to my Credit card. We was given a copy of 1040X. In May requested for 2011 & 2012 transcript from IRS, 2011 was ok, however the 2012 shows the DIY mistake" Head of House-hold"

My Question:

1. Do we send in the 1040X along with the Okay 2011 transcript?

2. Would this cause a trouble during our ROC even though we got this corrected with 24hours?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. God bless you all. Please I am open to your advices, as I have search this website and never could find a reference to my situation. Every other stuff is ready to go, just brain storm about this 2012 taxes.

I-130 for " Chicago Lock-box "

Applying for my 2 children...

Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock-box

Sent on --- 08/29/2016

Received --- 08/31/2016

NOA 1 : 09/01/2016

Sent to : Potomac Service Center

NOA 2 : 01/03/2017

NVC:

Sent AOS & IV Packets:02/01/2017
Scan Date: 02/10/2017
Case Complete: 04/24/2017
Interview Date: **/**/****
Visa Approved: **/**/****
Visa In Hand: **/**/****

********************************************************************************************************

~"Our willingness to wait reveals the value we place on what we are waiting for..."~

~Charles Stanley~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello Dear VJ members!

Thanks for your continuous and tremendous support on this forum. I am due for my ROC next month september. I am the beneficiary and my wife is the petitioner. I am beginning to gather all I need for the process, however I am not sure which tax paper work to submit. Our 2011 tax transcript is fine and ready to go.

Here is a brief intro about our 2012 taxes:

My wife started her bankruptcy process earlier this year because her cheque was being garnished from a bunch of debts from her previous marriage, last year we lost our entire return due to this, so she decided not to put me through that again this year, so she decided not to file with me. I came back from work one day this February and she had already gone online to HR block and use the free version of file your taxes to file my taxes with my step-daughter stating me as the head of house-hold! I came back from work and she said she got the taxes done! I was like really? How? Fortunately I pay attention to details and read stuff through. I log online and begin to read, and soon find out head-of-house-hold does not necessarily means I am the head of my house-hold, but something entirely different! She felt bad upon realizing this. Unfortunately we cannot amend it because it was already submitted to the IRS. We rushed to our local HR block the next day to get the problem fixed. We explain to the agent there, who said, there is no problem , all they have to do is File an amendment 1040X. At this point we decided we don't care if IRS takes all the money so we decided to file the amendment Married/filling jointly. It was done right there and then and I charged the HR block service fee to my Credit card. We was given a copy of 1040X. In May requested for 2011 & 2012 transcript from IRS, 2011 was ok, however the 2012 shows the DIY mistake" Head of House-hold"

My Question:

1. Do we send in the 1040X along with the Okay 2011 transcript?

2. Would this cause a trouble during our ROC even though we got this corrected with 24hours?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. God bless you all. Please I am open to your advices, as I have search this website and never could find a reference to my situation. Every other stuff is ready to go, just brain storm about this 2012 taxes.

USCIS is only concerned that the tax returns are joint, so you are fine.

Even if the tax returns are not joint one should be fine as long as other evidence is strong - of course one will receive a RFE for the joint Tax Transcript, if the situation is not explained in covering letter. If the situation is explained and if other evidence is strong, then there should be no issues. Some times they would want to interview but it is still alright for genuine marriages.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

The OP already knows that using "head of household" status was incorrect and absolutely did the correct thing by filing a 1040X to correct the filing status.

I would send the 2012 transcript with a copy of the 1040x attached to it. But include copies of YOUR W-2's, 1099's,etc, and any forms that were not accounted for on the original "DIY" return.

Since you corrected the mistake, it should not be a problem later. It would have been a big problem had you not corrected it because claiming "head of household" status, by definition, means that you did not live together for at least 6 months of that year !

BTW, if you need copies of what was filed you can access your account at HR Block website and print out anything that they have on file for you including the 1040X.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thank you all so much. i would follow your advice. You have been so helpful.

I-130 for " Chicago Lock-box "

Applying for my 2 children...

Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock-box

Sent on --- 08/29/2016

Received --- 08/31/2016

NOA 1 : 09/01/2016

Sent to : Potomac Service Center

NOA 2 : 01/03/2017

NVC:

Sent AOS & IV Packets:02/01/2017
Scan Date: 02/10/2017
Case Complete: 04/24/2017
Interview Date: **/**/****
Visa Approved: **/**/****
Visa In Hand: **/**/****

********************************************************************************************************

~"Our willingness to wait reveals the value we place on what we are waiting for..."~

~Charles Stanley~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.